St. George's Caye for the day?

Blondie70

Any new info on St. George's Caye for cruisers? The last posts were in 2007, I think. The excursion choices in Belize are just dreadful and Caye Caulker is such a long ride from the port. I feel like half an excursion is spent on the ride there and back (especially after getting off the ship and tendering :mad:)! Please share if you've been there in the last few years. Thanks!

Sherri

They may not be accepting day visitors. I believe they pick guests up at the airport and then take them to the marina for a private boat ride out to the resort. I think they have age restrictions on guests as well.

I emailed them asking if they had day-visitor packages available for cruisers. Their reply was: "We are not located where we can provide services to cruise ship passengers."

I'm wondering, however, if they "own" the entire caye. I was thinking we could take a water taxi from the port to St George's Caye (MUCH closer than Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye) and just go to the beach, find a vendor for a snorkel trip, and do our own thing. From some videos I saw on YouTube, there appears to be a St George's Caye Village Council, so sounds like there might be some sort of small "town" there. Obviously, if the resort owns the entire piece of land, they could kick us off the beach for trespassing. :( I did all the web-surfing about the place I could think of yesterday and didn't find any info about the Caye except the resort. :confused: Very odd. If anyone has info to share, please chime in.

Sherri

At one time I think Caye Caulker Water Taxi made a stop at St George's Caye. It's not on their current on line schedule, but you can contact them and ask. But all descriptions I've seen say "private island". I think any "village" you'll find there will be the housing for the workers at the resort and the private homes on the island.

http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/