Specialty Restaurants first time on NCL

cb3thatsme

Wow thank you everyone soooo much I really appreciate it!!!

When can you make dining reservations? I'm assuming online sometime before you board? With DCL its tiered depending on how many cruises you've taken...

Does anyone have any tips for a restaurant the night of Tracy Arm do any of the restaurants have big picture windows?

I really love threads like this because I enjoy seeing the variety of opinions.

As far as which restaurants, my opinion has varied by trip.

I've always loved Le Bistro the most, but we were not impressed on our last cruise on the Dawn. It was my husband's first time eating there and he really has no desire to go back, so we probably won't on our Getaway cruise in September even though we have UDP.

Cagney's has also always been a favorite, almost equal to Le Bistro for me, but again, we didn't enjoy it on the Dawn. The service wasn't great, and we didn't care for the sides or appetizers on the new menu. So even though the steaks were outstanding, they were not worth a return trip. We will be going on our next cruise, though, at the kids' request.

I did not love Moderno on the Epic, but was blown away by it on the Dawn. I was mad that we waited til the end to eat there that trip because there was no time to book it again!

Similarly, I'd never eaten at La Cucina because of the lukewarm reviews, but decided to give it a go on the Dawn. We loved it. Definitely not "Olive Garden" quality, for sure. That may have been because of the specific dishes we chose, but whatever the reason we're really looking forward to it on the Getaway.

Teppanyaki is another I could take or leave. We have several hiabachi restaurants near us and so it isn't a novelty for us. Still, we'll be going next trip, just because I haven't been since my Pearl trip several years back, so it's something different, and the quality is very good.

I enjoy the Godzilla Roll in the sushi bar, too. :-)

The point is that your favorite on one trip might be surprisingly blah on the next, and vice versa. Give them a try! None of it is bad, and you might have a different favorite from ship to ship.

I really love threads like this because I enjoy seeing the variety of opinions.

As far as which restaurants, my opinion has varied by trip.

The point is that your favorite on one trip might be surprisingly blah on the next, and vice versa. Give them a try! None of it is bad, and you might have a different favorite from ship to ship.

Thank you for all of your reviews! I can't wait to try all of the different restaurants NCL has to offer :D

I just want to book it lol but its funny because it seems like if you wait until it gets closer NCL seems to offer specials completely different than DCL where you want to book the day it comes out!

• 4 months later...

We are first time cruisers heading out on the Sun in January. Looking to upgrade to a specialty restaurant the night of my DH birthday. We will have our children along - ages 11 and 7. I see that they eat free from the kids menu but yet, when I try to make reservations, it requires me to pay the same as I am for DH and I. Does the difference get refunded back to you via on-board credit provided that they order from the kids menu? It says 'per child pricing done on the ship'.

I was looking at the Teppanyaki, if that makes a difference.

Hi, I have a question. I am cruising with my daughter on the Gem in December, not Christmas week. We are seasoned cruisers, just have not been on Norwegian yet. Should I make reservations for the Speciality restaurants ahead of time? We want to go with the flow and not be to restricted but I don't want to miss out either. Thanks for the help. I enjoyed reading the opinions of the different restaurants. They sound wonderful.

We just cruised on the Dawn and enjoyed Cagneys 2x, Teppanyaki and La Cucina.

Cagneys is great value. Where in a major metropolitan area can 2 ppl enjoy a multi-course meal incl. apps, steak, salad, sides, and dessert for $60? Food was delicious!

Teppanyaki is always fun, on land or at sea :p

We loved having cocktails and listening to the live entertainment at Gatsbys Lounge... That and the Bimini were our 2 favorite "hangout" spots!