NCL Marketing Survey re: all inclusive package

garnet115

Just completed a marketing survey from NCL where they are testing the concept of an all-inclusive package. Not sure I would take this if offered, but I am sure there are some who would jump on it. Either way, it's an interesting concept.

For purposes of the survey, it was stated as follows:

Please read the details of the following offer:

Norwegian’s All-Inclusive Offer

Purchase the All-Inclusive Onboard Package worth over $1,200 and save over $300! Plus, save an additional 10% on your cruise fare.

The All-Inclusive Onboard Package for just $899 includes:

• Ultimate Beverage Package with gratuities
  • Ultimate Dining Package
  • 1 shore excursion per port
  • Internet package
  • Prepaid gratuities/service charges
  • Bottle of wine
  • 20-photo package
  • Chocolate covered strawberries

Cruise fare is in addition to package price. This limited-time offer is per person and available on most 2015 sailings. Offer is applicable to 7-day cruises visiting 3 ports. Different all-inclusive pricing is available for other cruises (longer cruises/ more ports).

How likely would you be to purchase Norwegian’s All-Inclusive Offer?

Hmm seems intriguing I think part if it would depend what ship and itinerary your going on... It may be great for Alaska seeing as how expensive the excursions are! (However I bet they limit the excursions included)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmm seems intriguing I think part if it would depend what ship and itinerary your going on... It may be great for Alaska seeing as how expensive the excursions are! (However I bet they limit the excursions included)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes - there was a clarifying question after this one that I think put an $80 price limit, and perhaps the ability to pay the difference on those not included. That is not a great deal for Alaska, where I remember the excursions being very pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Price point is way too high. $430 for UBP, $129 for UDP, $84 for tips.

Added up, basically you might be getting a free bottle of wine, strawberries and maybe your internet package fee. Maybe.

Doesn't really represent any cost savings.

I think $750 would be the right price point. I'd have to see at least a 15-20% discount bundled into the package for me to bother.

Added up, basically you might be getting a free bottle of wine, strawberries and maybe your internet package fee. Maybe.

I think $750 would be the right price point. I'd have to see at least a 15-20% discount bundled into the package for me to bother.

You are forgetting the 10% off your cruise fare. This would be a few hundred dollars if you are in a suite. What I wonder is if they would make everyone in the cabin purchase this package.

Edited by KateQ22003

In addition to the 10% off the cruise fare, you're forgetting the included excursions at every port stop. While I agree that there will be exclusions (certainly Alaska), that could represent a lot of value on some itineraries for those that do a lot of excursions.

I've been thinking about this since the first thread was started a few days ago and the only angle I can think of is that they really want folks to opt into their shore excursions.

More and more, we're doing private excursions and from what I read here, it seems that many experienced cruisers (and newbies doing their homework!) opt for private excursions over those offered by NCL. This type of package would result in cruisers feeling obligated to use NCL excursions. I get why it makes sense for NCL, but I don't see the "WIIFM" (what's in it for me) for the average cruiser.

3 Shore excursions= an average of $200

Wine=$20

Strawberries=$15

Tips= $84

Dining=$129 or $99

UBP=$435

That leaves $50 or towards photos and internet.

The UDPa nd the UBP are, in my opinion! not "values" for 95% of people. They may represent a convenience but probably don't save you $

So at $899 the cost of this package is basically exactly what each component would have cost you. The 10% off cruise fare could make it a savings but depends on how they apply it and the restrictions. For example, is the 10% valid on ANY category, even guarantees? And is it truly 10% off the lowest fare I can find on NCL.com? If so and there are no restrictions and you would normally purchase all the components, then it may be a "deal"

They may represent a convenience but probably don't save you $

Exactly. This isn't much different than cable companies' bundling plans or Disney's dining or package plans. The "convenience" isn't worth it to me, but it could be for some folks.

Probably would work for some folks. All inclusive is a great idea however it would take away the Freestyle for me. I would stress out trying to get my monies worth😂:eek:

I totally agree. One anniversary trip, my husband and I had a partial all inclusive that included dinner at the hotels' 5 star restaurant. This restaurant was so good that people would come from the mainland just to eat at there and the bill could easily run 100-150 a night without alcohol. It was amazing but we felt like we couldn't miss a night even though we weren't hungry! The pressure to "get our money's worth" was just too much. :p

When the offer for the UDP came up, my husband and I looked at each other and immediately said "Nope!"...not going to do that to ourselves this time. Plus the MDR's do have some nice dishes to try and the grill and buffet are also good too. I would hate to miss out on some of the great stuff in those other locations.

More and more, we're doing private excursions and from what I read here, it seems that many experienced cruisers (and newbies doing their homework!) opt for private excursions over those offered by NCL. This type of package would result in cruisers feeling obligated to use NCL excursions. I get why it makes sense for NCL, but I don't see the "WIIFM" (what's in it for me) for the average cruiser.

Beware of assuming too much from what you read on here. Cruise Critic represents a small fraction of cruisers, and those that do come on here are much more likely to be those who are willing to do research to make savings (most likely why they are here). We are not a representative sample.

The vast majority of people don't come on cruise critic, and a large proportion of those take ship excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

The price point works out good if the "gratuities/service charges" include the butler if staying in The Haven.

If not then it's not really a deal. But then again, most people staying in The Haven would most likely tip more regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The price point works out good if the "gratuities/service charges" include the butler if staying in The Haven.

I suppose it's dangerous to rule anything out, but I'd be amazed if they ever offered anything that included more than those charges which are automatically added by NCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're probably right, Keith.

NCL stating "all inclusive" is dangerous too because the UBP & UDP aren't really all inclusive packages -- there's limits to both packages.

I think I'm agreeing with the poster above that stated it's not really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, what about if you're sailing solo, and paying the single supplement? My 10 day Alaska cruise on the Sun in 2015 in an Aft Mini Suite is approximately $4500. If they give me 10% off that, that's a $450 savings. Even taking into account the increased price for 10 days versus 7, that might actually make it worthwhile. But they will probably screw the singles like they usually do and charge us double on this too!:mad:

• 2 months later...

It is a very tricky undertaking and this will definitely be one of those YMMV situations (your mileage may vary). We are getting ready for our upcoming 17-day cruise, and have looked at both the UDP and UBP, and did decline them both. We do eat at specialty restaurants, we do consume adult beverages, but when I figured liberally we felt we "probably" would not use up those costs. (It was close on the UDP, not even close for me on the UBP).

However, we always purchase internet packages (for business); I am adventurous with my own excursion planning but we do partake in NCL's excursions too, so I would use the $200pp; I always buy photos, and while I don't buy 20, I spend about $150, so that's the value I would get; and for this cruise I budgeted about $600 for drinks and $400 for dining. I don't care for wine, but it would make an nice gift, and I wouldn't purchase the strawberries although I definitely would eat them, so I won't add any value there. With service charges and the cruise discount, we would save for this trip about $2450. Probably if we purchased the package we would actually use a little more so we would get around a $3000 value. Don't know what the price would be for a 17-day add-on, but if it stays level at $129 a day pp, that's $2193pp, so we probably would pass on that too. If it's less per day the longer you go and you get double the shore excursion credit, then I may re-budget.

One biiiig plus would be if they added on the spa package! We always purchase the spa's thalassotherapy suite package for the entire cruise since we discovered it in 2009.