Sandals in the MDR

I just bought these sandals from Payless:

http://www.payless.com/womens-minka-glitter-flat-sling/74196.html?dwvar_74196_color=black#start=97

I was wondering if it is okay to wear them in the MDR. I read no flip flops and I don't consider these to be flip flops (I think flip flops are cheap, plastic shoes to wear poolside or on the beach). I showed DH and he said "you can't wear those in the MDR." I wouldn't wear them on elegant night, but I was considering wearing them on other nights just so I wasn't wearing my fancier wedge shoes every night. Opinions?

The footwear rules are basically for your safety. Wet smooth floors don't work well with certain non gripping bottoms.

It's NOT what they look like that concerns the cruise lines. Same thing with open toe shoes in the chefs table. It's not a fashion statement they are trying to help you with.

The footwear rules are basically for your safety. Wet smooth floors don't work well with certain non gripping bottoms.

It's NOT what they look like that concerns the cruise lines. Same thing with open toe shoes in the chefs table. It's not a fashion statement they are trying to help you with.

I'm sorry, but this argument always annoys me. For the chefs table, you are correct, the requirement for closed shoes in the kitchen is for safety. But in the dining room? The shoe recommendation is NOT for safety. Girls who wear six inch heels are wearing them because it's safe?? I don't think so...

Yes, it is for safety due to the possibility of slipping on the floors. They really can't regulate high-heeled shoes. A slipping fall to a hard fall could be the ship's liability, if they didn't state, no flip-flops, but a fall off of 4-inch heels is a wearer beware issue.

I just bought these sandals from Payless:

http://www.payless.com/womens-minka-glitter-flat-sling/74196.html?dwvar_74196_color=black#start=97

I was wondering if it is okay to wear them in the MDR. I read no flip flops and I don't consider these to be flip flops (I think flip flops are cheap, plastic shoes to wear poolside or on the beach). I showed DH and he said "you can't wear those in the MDR." I wouldn't wear them on elegant night, but I was considering wearing them on other nights just so I wasn't wearing my fancier wedge shoes every night. Opinions?

They look very nice enjoy.

You know that has to be some kind of snit comparing Carnival to Mickey D's or Walmart. Good Grief~

I love them! the sandals not the snit. Did you get black? I personally loved the silver, and have a dress that would be excellent with them.

Have a great cruise! Enjoy your sandals, those are not flip flops. Flipflops have a thong between the toes and that is it, yours have a back strap, and a lot of class. You can wear them with everything, but make sure the bottoms are not too slippery.:):o

Yup, I got the black ones. I liked the purple, but they didn't have my size.

If you go to the other "boards" you will find it difficult to find a discussion if it's ok to wear "cute" sandals, because the maker of the flip flop put some bling on it, so it's cute. Wearing something other than "cute" flip flops will not make you overheated in the evening. Regardless of whether you are in TX, FL, CA or anywhere else.

The current trends are going back to wearing footwear other than "cute" flip flops. I work in an environment that is extremely laid back, and I am around thousands of college kids, and the trend is to wear more appropriate shoes.

Carnival boards often has this discussion. Why? I don't know, but it's always a discussion on Carnival. The same goes to dressing kids, like they should not follow the same rules for some reason. Leaving kids on the ship in foreign ports. How to get around the drinking rules. How to smuggle just about anything. I don't think I'm a snob because I feel people should show respect at dinner for others around them. But Carnival has a higher number of "it's about Me" guest and it is a widely know fact. Just the fact that someone ask if it is ok, and others disagree, it goes into a huge thread. Proves the point. The poster did not really want to hear it's ok, but rather brag about the "cute" sandals bought.

Just for the record, the OP, me, did not start this thread to see if my sandals were "cute." I really was concerned about the appropriateness of them in the MDR.

Lol😉 I think we should leave that one alone, let others discuss it ad nauseam!

I think my husband is taking his tux on this cruise in 3 wks, nothing better than a handsome man in a tux.

Oh I agree but I'd rather miss my guy in a Tux then not board the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Flat soled footwear that has a strap over it. The strap can be between you toes, or over your heal. The common item is that it is a flat piece of rubber, to protect you feet from sharp/hot/slippery ground. If you put a heal on it, it is not a sandal. But what happens, is people buy "fancy" and "cute " flip flops, and consider them fine. No one claims that Carnival is a "fancy" restaurant, but if the place you are eating is a sit down place, that has table service, with multiple waiters, an attempt should be made to eliminate what is "cute" and wear something that is "grown up". The buffet is a great place to wear "cute" shoes to show off the newly painted toes but sometimes, people just need to dress better. The reality is, people just don't want to be bothered to change, and will walk into a sit down place, with table service wearing flip flops, t-shirts, swim trunks, and baseball caps. Carnival will most likely let you in, but it still does not make it right.

BTW, these DO have a small heel.

Just for the record, the OP, me, did not start this thread to see if my sandals were "cute." I really was concerned about the appropriateness of them in the MDR.

Perfectly fine! And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.... They will even match a Tux :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Flat soled footwear that has a strap over it. The strap can be between you toes, or over your heal. The common item is that it is a flat piece of rubber, to protect you feet from sharp/hot/slippery ground. If you put a heal on it, it is not a sandal. But what happens, is people buy "fancy" and "cute " flip flops, and consider them fine. No one claims that Carnival is a "fancy" restaurant, but if the place you are eating is a sit down place, that has table service, with multiple waiters, an attempt should be made to eliminate what is "cute" and wear something that is "grown up". The buffet is a great place to wear "cute" shoes to show off the newly painted toes but sometimes, people just need to dress better. The reality is, people just don't want to be bothered to change, and will walk into a sit down place, with table service wearing flip flops, t-shirts, swim trunks, and baseball caps. Carnival will most likely let you in, but it still does not make it right.

If Carnival lets you in, it's right. :)

You must not be from Florida or California if you think sandals are inappropriate in restaurants. We're more relaxed about arbitrary rules like that down here in FL.

and wear white even after September...:eek: Heck, if we have to wear a closed toe shoe, it must be because a blizzard is expected!

I always wear the dressy flip flops (from jcpenney) with sequins, feathers or stones on them. Never had a problem and I don't feel I violate the rules. I interpret the rules as to the .98 cheapie pool stuff not anything decorated to look like a sandal. Just my opinion though.

You must not be from Florida or California if you think sandals are inappropriate in restaurants. We're more relaxed about arbitrary rules like that down here in FL.

I saw this and starting laughing because I have casual and "dress" Tevas. Yep, I live in California:cool: LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of doing an initial check of items to take on the cruise next month, and came across a pair a leather slides that I hadn't wore in a few years. I think I got them from K&G, or some other mens store, but these are great for wearing in the MDR on a casual night with a linen outfit.

I've worn sandals that looked more like flip flops in the MDR and Cucina del Capitano and had no issue.

And I think I may have worn my Ralph Lauren flip flops (they are wedges and flip or flop either) in the MDR on my Glory Cruise and no one cared.

I would say you are fine and that they are cute shoes!