Carnival share price

Tangoqueen

Well I've done it and very happy I have. I am now an official Carnival shareholder. First shares I've ever bought and the excitement of pressing the "deal" button was worth it. I shall enjoy my shareholders benefit in just over 3 weeks and shall enjoy every sip of it! Cheers. Thanks also for the personal feedback and thoughts of posters on here.

Congrats! Please forgive my curiosity, but at what price did you purchase your shares? -S

Hi fantasy. That's a great idea about putting the equivalent amount of OBC money and dividends in an investment account. But I've spent both while on board. Any dividends and on board credits I received were spent on Hotel and Dining Charges. Even then, it didn't cover all the H&D charges or added gratuities. But it was a help in covering the cost, which I certainly appreciate (and I hope the staff does too!).

I budget for holidays and take ALL expenses out of that budget account. Like you, the OBC doesn't cover all my expenses on board but it's just a choice I made to be disciplined. After all, if I hadn't bought the shares then interest on that money would have been paying off my mortgage.

We cruise quite a lot so we have more than recouped out initial investment in OBC. Moreover, the price of the stock has gone up quite a lot since we purchased it. I couldn't be happier! :)

Hi pmb1. Thanks for the correction* BTW, what do you consider "fast"? That is to ask: how much time do you allow for submitting your request via the post office and getting a return confirmation by snail mail from Booking Support in California? Thanks again, -Salacia

*As I posted previously, for more information see http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

I used snailmail last time because my fax machine had died. I did not get an answer by mail. I think I sent the paperwork about 5 weeks out. In my cover letter, I asked that they confirm receipt via email, but they didn't do that, either. I suppose you could send it certified mail in order to get a tracking number. Despite the lack of a confirmation from Booking Support, I did get the OBC.

Hi pmb1. Thanks for the correction* BTW, what do you consider "fast"? That is to ask: how much time do you allow for submitting your request via the post office and getting a return confirmation by snail mail from Booking Support in California? Thanks again, -Salacia

*As I posted previously, for more information see http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Hi, Salacia. I snail mailed (NJ to CA) my proof of ownership on June 13 and on June 18 I received an email with the updated booking confirmation which was dated June 17.

I am surprised more large companies do not do shareholder benefit. Airlines, durable goods producers... car companies are the best example that comes to mind.

Aside from helping engender loyalty, it keeps the share price a little bit higher than it otherwise would be. While share price doesn't necessarily affect a company's day-to-day operations, a large market cap (that is: [total # of shares]*[price per share]) makes borrowing money easier if one needs to, say, finance the construction of a new cruise ship. Financing large projects can be challenging, especially when all the money has to be borrowed long before there's any revenue coming in.

I have found Karen Hawkins and her team to be excellent! I am in the habit of booking last-minute cruises. Seeing I buy my shares through an online account with a bank, they are not in my name. I have to contact the bank every time for the confirmation. My system now is to phone my bank and ask them to email Karen direct. I email Karen to tell her to expect the information. For my last cruise I booked on the Friday and sailed on the Sunday - and they still managed to credit my OBC by about the first Wednesday of the cruise. I then approached the Purser's desk, all ready to show the confirmation email on my laptop. I was told they did not need to see it; my notification meant they would generate a query back to Carnival House. Within a few days I received a phone call in my stateroom to tell me that the OBC had been credited.

An email direct from a bank, probably from a person who Karen knows through dealing with them, would be more acceptable than a scan of a share certificate from my own computer (with the added risk of viruses). A straight email with no attachments is safe. Before that I had to find a company with a fax machine and that was a problem.

I always send an email back to Karen telling her how fantastic she is. Each time I expect that they won't be able to help me - but each time they manage it. They would be within their stated rights to refuse it to me but they always oblige.

I too do online share dealing, through a bank, but the shares are in my name as they should be with you. I can look at my shareholding online, hit the print screen button and save to my documents. I then email a copy of that to Karen Hawkins which has always been accepted by her. She then usually acknowledges by email and all is tickety boo,

I too do online share dealing, through a bank, but the shares are in my name as they should be with you. I can look at my shareholding online, hit the print screen button and save to my documents. I then email a copy of that to Karen Hawkins which has always been accepted by her. She then usually acknowledges by email and all is tickety boo,

Different banks, different practices. I'm with the Halifax.

A most interesting thread...........

So, as I am considering purchasing 100 shares as the share price has now dropped, would I get OBC for a crossing on QM2 in November - inside guarantee, and two seven night cruises on Carnival Dream as a b2b in February in a balcony stateroom?

What would the OBC likely be if anybody knows? In addition there is an annual dividend too as with most/all shares?

Can anybody answer please?

Thanks

Hi 3rdGenCunarder and pmb1. Thanks for your replies. I hadn't considered using snail mail when applying for stockholder OBC in the past, but now it certainly does seem like a viable option - especially since that my home fax machine is kaput! Thanks, -S.

So, as I am considering purchasing 100 shares as the share price has now dropped, would I get OBC for a crossing on QM2 in November - inside guarantee, and two seven night cruises on Carnival Dream as a b2b in February in a balcony stateroom?

What would the OBC likely be if anybody knows? In addition there is an annual dividend too as with most/all shares?

Thanks

Hi Cosmic Rays. The OBC for voyages of 7-13 days is $100. If you booked the Carnival Dream cruise as one voyage of 14 days, the OBC would be $250. Yes, you would receive a stockholder OBC for any and all cruises on any CCL ship, with the amount varying depending on length of the voyage Yes, in the past there has an annual dividend paid quarterly. Most recently, the dividend is $25 per quarter, but of course, this is subject to change.

Additional information can be found on this CCL website http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Salacia

Thanks

Yes, you should and it would be $100 for each trip, I believe.

I have had my Carnival shares now for about 20 months. In that time I have received $US1200 in OBC (6 cruises, some at $250 and some at $100) and £UK139 in dividends. I have put the equivalent amount of money away in an investment account after each cruise or dividend payment, so if anything drastic happens to the shares then I don't see myself as having lost out in the long term. Meanwhile, I've had a lot of fun out of the shares!

My plan is that when I can no longer afford cruises, I can sell the shares for one last cruise.

Can I please argue against this seemingly sensible idea? If anything drastic does happen to the shares, it's highly likely that something similarly drastic will happen to your other investments. If we recall the last financial crisis, everything got obliterated. Instead of essentially doubling down by putting the money in an investment account looking for what might end up being a false sense of security, may I suggest any of the following:

--If you want to be prudent, keep it in cash or cash-like things

--If you want to have fun, spend it

--If you want to be charitable, help out a young relative or a worthy organization of your choice

I'm not saying don't put your money in the market. That's where mine is. But please don't think that, when another financial calamity comes, any CCL losses will be offset by other investments.

Further disclaimer: in expectation of booking a Crossing, and by my other reasoning I wrote earlier, I bought 100 CCL shares late last week.

Can I please argue against this seemingly sensible idea? If anything drastic does happen to the shares, it's highly likely that something similarly drastic will happen to your other investments. If we recall the last financial crisis, everything got obliterated. Instead of essentially doubling down by putting the money in an investment account looking for what might end up being a false sense of security, may I suggest any of the following:

--If you want to be prudent, keep it in cash or cash-like things

--If you want to have fun, spend it

--If you want to be charitable, help out a young relative or a worthy organization of your choice

I'm not saying don't put your money in the market. That's where mine is. But please don't think that, when another financial calamity comes, any CCL losses will be offset by other investments.

Further disclaimer: in expectation of booking a Crossing, and by my other reasoning I wrote earlier, I bought 100 CCL shares late last week.

---or use it pay off your mortgage

Congrats! Please forgive my curiosity, but at what price did you purchase your shares? -S

Perhaps a personal question one would ask only amongst friends, however:-

Question about Carnival shares first asked on forum June 27

Stated Bought June 30

so

Price paid would be anything between those dates !

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=LON:CCL

:D

Edited by Pennbank

Earlier on the thread someone suggested the price on the 100 shares were appoximately $3800.

If you follow the above link a share price of £2,134.00 is shown.

This would make the 100 shares costing £21,134.00 which does not seem such a good deal.

I know one is in $ and one £ but why the big difference?

Is anyone able to explain to a financial illiterate if I am missing something.

Earlier on the thread someone suggested the price on the 100 shares were appoximately $3800.

If you follow the above link a share price of £2,134.00 is shown.

This would make the 100 shares costing £21,134.00 which does not seem such a good deal.

I know one is in $ and one £ but why the big difference?

Is anyone able to explain to a financial illiterate if I am missing something.

The price quoted is in pence per share, not pounds.

Hi Shawnino, thanks for your concern. When I said I'd put it in an investment fund, that was shorthand (me being lazy and assuming no one would really be interested) for: 'I have an offset mortgage and if I'd kept that £2,300 in my bank, then I'd be paying less interest on the mortgage. I chose to actually put the equivalent of all my dividends and OBC into the mortgage itself. As other people also suggested, I'm using it to make my mortgage smaller.

I do appreciate the financial concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salacia

Perhaps a personal question one would ask only amongst friends, however:-

Question about Carnival shares first asked on forum June 27

Stated Bought June 30

so

Price paid would be anything between those dates !

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=LON:CCL

:D

Sorry about the delay, missed Salacia's original question....Pennbank was quite correct with his comment shares were bought approx 30 June and continued to drop after purchase.....I paid just slightly over £22 per share and they dropped by a fair amount straight after. However, I'm still happy as with less than a month before I was due to cruise I wanted to get them bought and the OBC confirmed. It's a bit like booking the cruise....as soon as I took the decision to book prices dropped then too.

Keep checking my VP to see if I have been upgraded again since becoming a shareholder but no such look lol :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salacia

Sorry about the delay, missed Salacia's original question....Pennbank was quite correct with his comment shares were bought approx 30 June and continued to drop after purchase.....I paid just slightly over £22 per share and they dropped by a fair amount straight after. However, I'm still happy as with less than a month before I was due to cruise I wanted to get them bought and the OBC confirmed. It's a bit like booking the cruise....as soon as I took the decision to book prices dropped then too.

Keep checking my VP to see if I have been upgraded again since becoming a shareholder but no such look lol :D

Hi Tangoqueen. Yes, I know what you mean about prices dropping (both for the cruise and for the stock). I purchased my stock at a high price too, but I certainly didn't lose any money considering all the OBC and dividends - plus I sold the stock last month for $40 per share, slightly more than I paid for it a few years ago. If the price is right when I decide on my next cruise, I'll buy 100 shares again.

Hope you get a nice upgrade very soon :) Cheers, -S

Edited by Salacia

We agree with the analysis that the dividend income + OBC make it a decent holding. Otherwise, it wouldn't be that attractive, e.g., today's 52-week high/low spread is about $10.00!

On a related note, I just experienced another Cunard website boo boo! On the US site, the landing page for new bookers to enter their Voyage Personaliser displays a paragraph dedicated to how to claim a SH benefit and provides an email address for submitting your claim. I thought this was a new development, as CCers have previously advised the only options are fax or snail mail. And it seems, as always, that CCers know best! When I called to confirm the fax number shown on the investor relations site (see below), the lady said I must have retrieved the non-working email address from an "old" source. Nope, just your website! :rolleyes:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjI0MTc1fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Here's the latest on CCL dividend:

" MIAMI, July 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) has announced that it has declared a dividend of $0.25 per share.

The company's board of directors approved a record date for the quarterly dividend of August 22, 2014, and a payment date of September 12, 2014..." copied from http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140716-908226.html