Cream for coffee

Moriah

Does your room have a fridge? If so and you are worried about availability, take some on with you.

Just buy a box of the individual creamers at your grocery store, the ones you see in fast food places and some restaurants and take them with you just in case. They don't need refrigeration. Problem solved.

Just buy a box of the individual creamers at your grocery store, the ones you see in fast food places and some restaurants and take them with you just in case. They don't need refrigeration. Problem solved.

I've never actually seen heavy cream sold this way, just half and half. It seems unanimous that half and half is available on the ship. I am going to bring a small container of heavy cream on board and keep it in the cabin (my experience is that the fridges do keep things cold...) and when I don't want to carry it to a dining venue, I'll ask for half and half or whatever the best cream is they can supply in that venue. (exactly as Ruth mentioned - thank you Ruth) I imagine I'm not the first person to have this question (although my search before starting this thread did not reveal any others like it) as I think the low carb lifestyle is becoming more prevalent? (Or is that just the syndrome where you notice things you are "into" and didn't see them before?) I'll report back after my Maasdam cruise in 2 weeks in case anyone is interested in how the whole cream issue panned out! :)

I imagine I'm not the first person to have this question (although my search before starting this thread did not reveal any others like it) as I think the low carb lifestyle is becoming more prevalent? (Or is that just the syndrome where you notice things you are "into" and didn't see them before?) I'll report back after my Maasdam cruise in 2 weeks in case anyone is interested in how the whole cream issue panned out! :)

It's a fairly rare topic, but you'll find a nugget or two of information here & there. DW & I don't typically eat a lot of carbs at home. We shoot for 30-50 g per day and track with the MyFitnessPal app. We shoot for 135 & 105 g of protein as a minimum. Of course, you can't use the app on a cruise, so you need to do the best you can. Also bear in mind that unless you are going on an ice cream, pizza & bread pudding binge, you will probably only pick up a few pounds of water weight. You'll drop it within a week or two when you get home.

Half & Half was readily available on our recent cruises. One tablespoon (equivalent of a little single serve creamer) is 0.6 g carbs. An ounce is 1.3 g. Anything higher than that and you're drinking a milkshake and not coffee. ;)

From experience: Breakfast is easy, regardless of where you eat. If you order room service, be aware that there will always be a hash brown patty accompanying your omelet. We don't know why. We were unable to stop it. (We assume that the International Brotherhood of Hash Browns Fryers is very strong at sea.)

Lunch is also easy, especially in the Lido. You'll find plenty of protein, vegetable, and salad choices. You can also get a burger without a bunch at the poolside grill. The Pinnacle Grill lunch ($10 surcharge) is also a good option. Just ask them to substitute out any starchy sides.

We almost never eat dinner in the Lido, but I imagine it would be as easy as lunch. In the MDR, you can request no starches, but most main courses come with a rice, potato, cous cous or pasta. We found it easier to work around the starches and we usually ate a fork or two's worth. We often had the cheese in place of dessert. There was a really nice selection of 15 or 16 cheeses and you could pick a few. My understanding is that they may be phasing that out and going to a fixed choice cheese plate. (This will make us sad and a little part of us will die inside.)

We had wine with dinner each night. This is clearly not low carb. We know it. We don't care. :) For cocktails, I'm a Bourbon on the rocks drinker and DW drinks vodka & soda water. Try to stay away from the drinks of the day.

As long as you are fairly disciplined, you should be fine. Chances are you will eat more carbohydrates than you would at home. The trick is to limit how many more. Have a great trip!

Possible? Sure, it was "possible". But it tasted like real cream, and had a much thicker consistency than whipped creams from a can.

The point is that the possibility of real, heavy cream for the OP is there. She can ask, and if that is what they have, she can request it.

All too often on the ships people don't see something offered, so they take what is there. If you just ask about something, they may very well have it (after all, the ship is just one small city) and will be happy to get it for you.

Yes, of course, Ruth. :) The whole point is ask.

If you don't ask, you have no chance of getting what you want if it is not on the menu and if you ask (with a smile), you often will be well pleased. I did learn that through the years of traveling/living. :D