Using cell phone

Are there any plans with AT&T that allow you to use your cell phone on board the cruise ship without paying a fortune? I see so many people using their phone and wonder about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are there any plans with AT&T that allow you to use your cell phone on board the cruise ship without paying a fortune? I see so many people using their phone and wonder about this?

Want to look important. Probably don't realize what the cost will be thjey get their bill at home.

I think half are faking a connection to impress us, and the other half can't get them unglued from their hands without surgery.

Some people can't put them down even to eat or visit with friends.

AT&T offers a plan. The rate is not outrageous and there are 3 different options. One for phone, one for phone and text and one for phone, text, and data usage. You can find the packages on their web site.

if you are way out to sea, i do not believe they work anyway. the phone needs to be near a repeater, just like when flying. a certain altitude and no reception.only when you get near land ....

All RCI Ships are equipped with Cell Towers.

It's not easy to figure out before you call, what it will actually cost. Yes, you can get an unlimited voice, text and data plan, but most are not worldwide. That would be bigger bucks, for sure. And don't forget you also have to pay for use of those ship towers and that is additional $$.

Yes they do. Go to AT&T Cellular at Sea. Not sure what you call a fortune but it is $30 for 50 Minutes, $60 for 50 Minutes & 100 texts or $120 for 50 Minutes, 100 texts & 100 MB of data.

So you have to get the plan and pay on the ship?

No you have to get it from AT&T before you go. You would have to start it at the start of your billing cycle and cancel before your cycle starts again. Must pay for the month.

do they have to be in a certain distance of the next one..i think out in the middle of the sea you get nothing

The cell tower on the ship connects to a satellite. We get cell service all the time on our transatlantic cruises

We always add the basic international plan with the pay as you go rates with AT&T. It's a couple of dollars to activate it for one week.

$2.50 per minute on call....we rarely ever call out.

Text messages are 0.50 cents sent and free to receive.

All cellular data is disabled in the phone settings.

If you are in US ports such as San Juan or St Thomas your regular carrier plan applies, just make sure you are docked and your service says AT&T and not Cellular at Sea.

We leave our phones in the safe on airplane mode or powered off unless we specifically want to check it. You can be charged a minute rate even if a phone call comes in and goes to voicemail.

The most important thing to remember at sea is to leave your data turned off at sea. Otherwise you can wind up paying a small fortune.

I have Verizon and always get their 100MB international data plan which includes cruise ships. It costs $25 and is prorated. This works great in ports but on ships the results vary. For example on the most recent cruise (Navigator) I would get a 1X connection but it was slower than dial up when it first came out. Last 2 trips before this one (Carnival Triumph) I had the same phone, same 1X connection on the ship but it was much faster and actually usable. So just because you add the plan doesn't mean that you will be to actually use it on the ship anyways.