Rice & Peas @ Jack's Shack?

Singer4Him

What makes the rice and peas special? :confused:

I wonder the same thing. I always have my last call at Jack's Shack !!! Guess I will have to try the rice and peas !!! :) the jerk chicken is the best :)

Edited by curacao

It's not like the rice and peas are super special vs other places in the Carib....it's just wrong to eat fries with Jerk Chicken :rolleyes:

Oh, okay, thanks.

I wonder why they offer the fries? :confused: :)

What makes the rice and peas special? :confused:

I've only had rice and peas in Jamaica and I really enjoyed them with the jerk chicken. Been wanting more for some time now, so I'm planning to get my "fix" when we stop in Grand Turk next month!

BTW, the "peas" aren't like what we call peas in the states. It's more of a kidney type bean but cooked with the rice, coconut milk, etc. it is excellent!

Edited by Singer4Him

I've only had rice and peas in Jamaica and I really enjoyed them with the jerk chicken.

Jamaica is what makes rice and peas special. If you are ever in Negril I can recommend some of the best Jerk Chicken places ... all served with rice and peas. Or Hardo bread.

Asking for DW, who is a lacto-ovo vegetarian: does anyone know if the Rice and Peas have any meat substances (broth, etc) in it? From the examples and recipes I've seen, it doesn't look like it does.

Edited by capncarp

Asking for DW, who is a lacto-ovo vegetarian: does anyone know if the Rice and Peas have any meat substances (broth, etc) in it? From the examples and recipes I've seen, it doesn't look like it does.

Just water, kidney beans (they call them peas), and rice. Sometime they use coconut milk.

• 3 months later...

I spent a lot of my time growing up in the Bahamas...isn't it Peas and rice???

My friend growing up was from Jamacia and that's what she called them and I grew up calling them??

just think it's funny that everyone now calls them rice and peas?