Booking Photographer privately

patrice1

We will be on our 25th Anniversary cruise next February. After trying to get a vow renewal set up in Roatan on "the day" and not succeeding, we decided to do our own on our balcony. We would like to have a photographer there for pictures. Can you arrange for a photo shoot in your cabin or balcony? Is there an extra charge with a required "buy"? Thanks anyone who can answer to this question.

Yes, you can do this, just inquire once on board. Obviously there will be $$$ involved. How much depends upon the package you desire. It will not be a "I take photos for free and you decide if you wish to buy them" as it is on the rest of the ship. You are hiring a professional photographer just for your needs.

We had a private photographer last summer on the Dream. We did not pay for the service, and we were not required to buy anything. We did purchase several 8x10's. They cost more than the regular photos, I think we paid around $35 for each There are also several packages you can purchase, with the cheapest being around $500, I believe. Of course, when you are reviewing the prints, the photographer only tells you about the expensive packages.

Couple of hints

If you want it at sunset, or elegant night, book WAAAY early, perhaps pull some strings, email JH (even though people don't always like him, he can help a lot on this kind of thing) if possible before you even embark. We had pictures set up for our family reunions weeks before hand, which was good because the moment he finished ours, he booked it to the next appointment on elegant night. If you can't do it early, but want elegant pictures, just dress up nice on a different night for the event. Plan out ahead of time where you want the pictures. I know elegant night they usually don't like people walking up and down the main double staircases, but don't really stop people other nights, so pick a nice spot ahead of time, or even more than one spot.

We did not have to pay anything either, nor did we have to purchase pictures (we did of course, but only one of each we wanted through the whole group, and made walgreens copies that turned out great for any that multiple people wanted)

My daughter and son in law did this on their honeymoon. They had some awesome pictures taken. Edit your photos etc. They truly did an excellent job on them.

She said there were packages or you could just pick what you wanted.

When I am able to get all of my kids on the same ship at the same time, I plan to do this as well.

Have fun, enjoy and take all the photos you want.

We did this a few years ago for our engagement pictures on the Glory (we also got married on a Carnival ship). We had to schedule it pretty early in the cruise and the pictures were very nice. They were more than Carnival's normal "smile, point, and click" in the gallery since they were edited (skin tone, blemishes, etc). I think we went the a'la carte route and paid $35 per 8x10. Last time I looked, the regular Dreams photography packages are more expensive than the packages for vow renewals and weddings and the minimum threshold is higher if you want the digital images on disc.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend throwing out a fleece to your fellow cruisers on the Roll Call or Facebook (etc) to determine if there are any pro photographers on your cruise that would be willing to capture some photos for you and provide you with all the digital files. The price you work out with them may be a lower cost to you overall.

I am a semi-pro photographer and I would be happy to offer my services (if available) for a fraction of the cost that it may cost you to hire the photographer than pay for all of those expensive prints.

BTW....I will be on the April 18, 2015 sailing of the Carnival Conquest ;)

Edited by MPRamsey

Does anyone that's had this done know if the Carnival photo release to make copies covers this? We are going on a cruise with the whole family in January and thought this might be nice

These pictures are covered under the photo release, BUT (because there's always a but), they do not usually give the digital copy without buying a package. Scanning their edited pictures so they look nice is difficult--we discovered that with our engagement picture.

These pictures are covered under the photo release, BUT (because there's always a but), they do not usually give the digital copy without buying a package. Scanning their edited pictures so they look nice is difficult--we discovered that with our engagement picture.

Carnival will typically sell you a CD (DVD?) of the images you have purchased for $10. However, on our last cruise they sold out of CDs, so we were unable to purchase it on the last day of the cruise.