accessible/modified cabins on Breeze

I have a group booked on the Breeze. One party had an accident recently and currently requires a wheelchair. I'm trying to help them figure out options for changing cabins- hoping they do not have to cancel.

I've read and searched. From what I've pieced together, there are modified cabins and there are accessible cabins. They probably would be better off in an accessible cabin, but it appears that those are rare. So, a modified cabin may have to do.

The only problem is that I don't see these on the deck plans. Anyone have information on these?

Is this person confined to the wheelchair 100% of the time? I need one to get around the ship sometimes and in ports most of the time. My wheelchair folds and takes up not very much room. If they aren't 100% dependent then maybe the regular cabin door opening will work. I get out of mine and walk into the cabin, hubby folds the chair and pushes it in.

I have only seen accessible cabins online and they are amazing for a wheelchair user but I don't know how to tell which ones on the deck plans.

You know if someone is in an accessible cabin and doesn't require it then they can be moved for someone who does require it. But I think a Dr's order is needed.

Modified cabins are regular cabins with rails etc

The bathroom still has a step into it.

A fully accessible cabin will have a wheel-in shower.

Either way the wheelchair must be stored in the cabin, not hallway.

Look on the Disabled Cruising board for more tips.

if you go on carnival's site, and look at the breeze deck plans, when you hover over a room, the accessable logo will appear. Almost all are the front rooms, with windows facing the front "secret decks"

The special needs dept. will move someone in the cabin if you have a need for it and the person who booked does not, even if they booked it a year ago, if there aren't any more available.

When booking that room, people are told if it's needed by someone with an actual need for it, they will be moved. There's a lot of people who book the room, since it is bigger for the same price as others in the category, hoping they don't get bumped.

Edited by pbsteve

Modified cabins are regular cabins with rails etc

The bathroom still has a step into it.

A fully accessible cabin will have a wheel-in shower.

Either way the wheelchair must be stored in the cabin, not hallway.

Look on the Disabled Cruising board for more tips.

I beg to differ with you. In a handicap modified cabin EVERYTHING is on one level. There are no steps in a modified cabin at all. I know because we have been in one the last 3 cruises and will be in March on the Breeze. That is why they are built for a wheelchair to have total access.

When we book our cruises now we are very lucky because it is on my husbands profile we have to have a handicap cabin. When we speak to the Carnival Rep they already know what we need, usually we already know what cabin we want, and can book for us. We no longer have to contact Special Needs.

Edited by deborahjo

if you go on carnival's site, and look at the breeze deck plans, when you hover over a room, the accessable logo will appear. Almost all are the front rooms, with windows facing the front "secret decks"

The special needs dept. will move someone in the cabin if you have a need for it and the person who booked does not, even if they booked it a year ago, if there aren't any more available.

When booking that room, people are told if it's needed by someone with an actual need for it, they will be moved. There's a lot of people who book the room, since it is bigger for the same price as others in the category, hoping they don't get bumped.

Thanks Steve. I did note the cabins you mentioned. However, they appear to show only what Carnival calls the accessible cabins, not what they call the modified cabins. I'm trying to understand what these are, exactly, and how to find these on the deck plan.

There appears to be disagreement even in this thread over what a "modified" cabin means. :o :confused:

You must call the Special Needs Dept. They will know what's available!!! Nana cruises with me and we most always get the bow cabins. If you can get one on the Lido Deck, it's so much easier to get around!!! At least IMHO. You don't always need the elevator to get outside or to get to the food...

Is this person confined to the wheelchair 100% of the time?

As of right now, yes. :( There is a chance that will change between now and boarding day, but there is no way to know for sure right now. I wouldn't want them to wait until the last minute and not have options. I will call the special needs department, but I was hoping someone here would have some information on the mysterious "modified" cabins.

We had a handicap cabin on The Breeze last Feb. we booked it with knowing we would give it up if had to. It was a inside right off the Lido Deck. I loved it. The door is wider and no step ups to the bathroom. It seemed bigger. I think there were quite a few in our hall. It was so nice to take about 10 steps and we were on the Lido deck. Husband not a fan of inside cabins but me I just love to be on a ship!

We are booked on deck 7 in a walk away view. We always have a front bow walk away view cabin. They are handicap cabins. Well not all of them there are some that are not.

Yes the front bow walk away cabins on deck 6,7, and 8 that we found on the Breeze are all on one floor which is what my husband requires. When we called to book the Rep saw our requirements and had no problem booking the room we requested. Did not go thru SND at all.

I beg to differ with you. In a handicap modified cabin EVERYTHING is on one level. There are no steps in a modified cabin at all. I know because we have been in one the last 3 cruises and will be in March on the Breeze. That is why they are built for a wheelchair to have total access.

Confirm the name of what you are booking.

On the older ships the modified cabins are regular cabins with some modifications. The Breeze being newer might not have these modified cabins.

Sounds like you had a FULLY accessible cabin.

Not everyone needs a fully accessible cabin with a roll in shower.

Some can handle the step up and the regular width doorway but need rails etc.

Not all HC cabins have wheelchair friendly showers. The modified ones do not on the older ships.

Modified is just

When we book our cruises now we are very lucky because it is on my husbands profile we have to have a handicap cabin. When we speak to the Carnival Rep they already know what we need, usually we already know what cabin we want, and can book for us. We no longer have to contact Special Needs.

There is still the step to go out to a balcony.

I have a child that is partially wheel chair bound so in the letter they sent us to confirm it states the difference between a modified and accessible cabin is that Modified cabins are designed for those that are in a wheelchair for Distance purposes and include such items as grab bars and such whereas an accessible cabin contains such items as turning distance and accessible routes and such. but you do need to call carnival because these cabins are sold to the public but the people are told that they will be moved in the case that someone needing the cabin requests it. e mail specialneeds@carnival.com provide name number booking number and they will call you back generally within 24 hours hope this helps

cheryl

Confirm the name of what you are booking.

On the older ships the modified cabins are regular cabins with some modifications. The Breeze being newer might not have these modified cabins.

Sounds like you had a FULLY accessible cabin.

Not everyone needs a fully accessible cabin with a roll in shower.

Some can handle the step up and the regular width doorway but need rails etc.

Not all HC cabins have wheelchair friendly showers. The modified ones do not on the older ships.

Modified is just

Walk away view is how the cabin is listed. The word modified is no where in the cabin title.

There is still the step to go out to a balcony.

These cabin do not have balconys. They are the ones that look out over the "secret deck". On the Liberty we had cabin 1002 in October and in September we have cabin 1004 and in March of 2015 we have cabin 9202. I thought we had deck 7 but is deck 9. These re all listed as front "walk away view" cabins.

The windows face the front bow. You have to keep the curtains closed at night because the light messes with the navigations. They are much larger. We love them.

These cabin do not have balconys. They are the ones that look out over the "secret deck". On the Liberty we had cabin 1002 in October and in September we have cabin 1004 and in March of 2015 we have cabin 9202. I thought we had deck 7 but is deck 9. These re all listed as front "walk away view" cabins.

The windows face the front bow. You have to keep the curtains closed at night because the light messes with the navigations. They are much larger. We love them.

Spirit class has modified handicapped cabins with balconies--bowling alley balconies!

• 2 weeks later...