Gym on the Allure

Could anyone tell me how crowded the gym gets on the Allure ship? I'm sure it's very crowded on sea days. I just wanted to get an idea. Also, what type of machines (cardio and weight) and gym classes are available on the ship? Thanks :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The equipment selection is quite good. They're as well equipped as many gyms and have many treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, stair masters, weight machines, etc.

I found it most crowded in the mornings. If you get there right when it opens (7:00 AM rings a bell but don't quote me on that), then it wasn't too bad, but within 30-60 minutes of opening, it was quite busy. A couple of times I went during "off hours" when a gym wouldn't normally be busy. I went once at about 3:00 PM and another time at about about 6:00 PM and it was pretty deserted. Those are tough times to go though. I'm usually bloated with booze and/or food by then. :)

They do offer some classes, but I refuse to pay for them, so I can't speak to the frequency or quality of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I echo the previous poster. There are a good bevy of machines and good set of dumb bells. There are no olympic bars, though.

I can't speak to early mornings, but afternoon (pre-dinner workout) is usually a fine time to work out. There is a huge selection of cardio machines though, and more stashed in the back past the free weight area if the front ones are full.

There's also the dedicated running track on Deck 5 which is awesome.

How dedicated to running/walking is the track on deck 5? On a few other ships, I tried the track but constantly having to dodge people standing there for pictures, walking 5 deep, or just pausing to take on the scene made it not worth the hassle. I just prefer to run outside than on a treadmill :)

I see you have sailed the Freedom of the seas. The crowd in the gym should be similar to Freedom. The Life Fitness machines are the same - but the space is larger and there are more machines. There is also a large free weight area and a spin class room. The pics on google show the equipment pretty well. If you go early you should be able to do what ever you like.

The classes are similar to the other ships - stretch class at no cost. Boot camp and circuit type classes at addnl cost.

I never had an issue getting on the machines or free weights - never needed to take any classes.

Enjoy!!

I don't know what kind of sleeper you are but, I went most often after dinner and even after entertainment on most nights and virtually had the whole place to myself. The jogging track also never got too too busy IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How dedicated to running/walking is the track on deck 5? On a few other ships, I tried the track but constantly having to dodge people standing there for pictures, walking 5 deep, or just pausing to take on the scene made it not worth the hassle. I just prefer to run outside than on a treadmill :)

I think it is a very dedicated running/walking track. It never once asked me to stop. :D :cool:

Seriously.... The track goes along the outside of the ship on the lifeboat deck (don't flame me for that, I don't remember the deck number... maybe deck 5). It goes back to the stern, behind the Aqua Theater and then forward to just behind the fitness center. Basically, around the whole outside of the ship. It is approximately .47 mile. There were a number of people running, some walking. Some of the crew and passengers seem to use it as a shortcut, but everyone seemed very courteous. There are a few loungers back on the stern, but few people back there. Probably less than a handful of lookie-loos while I was running. Overall a great way to run on a ship.

If you are interested, you'll get lots of time to check out the lifeboats and such... I did 25 laps one day.

I didn't think of this before hand, so I'll mention it. Remember it is fairly warm out there on the track. I think the day I ran, it was in the 80s. I'm from Ohio, and it was November, so my body wasn't quite used to the heat while running. And, GPS running watches don't work too well on a moving ship. I used an Apple pod in my shoe so it wasn't too bad.

I've done approximately 50 miles on Allure's track. My answer to that is it varies. My first time Allure was only 6 months old, the next time was 2 years later. I did most of my running around 7am and had few problems. There is frequently a lot of lifeboat maintenance going on then, but those guys seemed real good about staying out of guest's way. I did find occasional Hotel services people using the track as a way to get from point a to point B, usually walking the wrong direction. I did almost mow down the giant hippo character that is part of the dreamsworks characters. They have a dressing from they use for shows in the Aquatheater. That is at the aft section on deck 5 and they led her up to the aquatheater, again, walking the wrong direction. That was a big suprise to me and her.

Later in the day I would occasionally run into (not actually, but almost) a few passengers who were less than courteous. One guy was reading a book and weaving all over the place. Another lady, "A walker" was the type who couldn't walk without $1000 worth of gear, which included two collapsable polls that extended out from her hands at a 45 degree angle taking up both lanes.