thank you to all & questions

I want to thank everyone here for the time you take to write. This is my first cruise with my husband. I've travelled around the world but never by cruise ship. I don't use TAs since I was 18 because I realized they will often try to sell you what they want as opposed to what I want so I always book directly myself to ensure I get what I want. Now I'm wondering if that is a bad thing for a cruise?:confused: But what's done is done. Your advice is great, as I pre booked some shore excursions from RSSC and while I know they are not confirmed, I booked as soon as you could, but would never have thought to print out the "notice" saying they got my request with the date, in case they tell me "sorry sold out" I will raise hell. I've put almost no limit on expense for this trip, my husband didn't want a butler and I'm starting to have regrets, do they treat you better with butler service overall on the ship?:confused: I booked my own air as I wanted to fly first class and I booked The Pan Pacific directly with the hotel instead of the cruise line as it was easier and I hate to give up control (reason for not dealing with a TA) thank you

Radisson treats everyone wonderfully - whether you are in a Category H or one of the suites. We pick our suites based on location on the ship (low and in the middle), length of cruise, number of sea days. We have had a butler on several occasions and honestly I don't know that they add anything extra to the experience. They are all very nice and can make reservations at the specialty restaurants and spa for you but you can do that yourself. They also bring pre-dinner snacks if you want them, but you can order them from room service if you don't have a butler. Don't worry - you'll have a lovely time - Radisson provides very good service to all their clients.

Mary Ellen

MsMoose:

My wife and I have been on 5 Raddison cruises...sometimes with a butler and sometimes without....I can't say honestly that the butler enhanced the experience much...they did bring snacks each night (cavier and foie gras--which neither of us really enjoy).We prefered ordering the cheese plate, fruit plate and a pizza through room service to snack on with drinks....they would do reservations at the speciality restaurants which avoided a wait in line, but I gotta tell you we preferred the Compas Rose.....

As far as air travel and hotels...we always do our own (air miles plus my wife works for Marriott)....so sound like you have got it together.

BTW...just check with the traveldesk when you get on to "confirm" your shore excursions and you'll be good to go...

Have a great trip...Radisson always takes great care of us and I'm sure they will you.

Speaking as someone who shares your desire to be in control of things, you might consider a TA for the cruise booking next time out. But use one that specializes in the cruise line. They can often get a little better deal financially, and often know the ropes to help out with little odds and ends. I have a TA that specializes in RSSC who I love.

That being said, I prefer to book my air and any pre and post hotels myself. You give up the ship transfers that way, but usually can get a better price and better selection, if you don't mind doing the research. Not to mention that I travel enough for work that I usually have enough FF miles to use those. I have used the ship's air and hotel a couple of times, though. The last time, I have to admit that I'm glad I did. The nation of Italy did what it is sometimes inclined to do--go on strike--the day I was scheduled to depart. RSSC took responsibility for getting me home by working around the hours of the strike. But warning--their ground agent in Italy was pretty useless. It was only when I contacted RSSC directly that I got any meaningful help.

I agree that booking with an agent who really knows Radisson is a plus. Aside from providing discounts, some also book at a group rate. The personal service that I have received has meant a lot, and I actually think I have more rather than less control working with an agent. As for air and hotel, I have gone both ways (air if I can't find a better price with my preferred airline, and hotel only when a pre-cruise "stay" is planned that includes other activities) You can ususally book the same hotels Radisson uses at half the cost, and have the control over when you leave for the ship or the airport.

Category B on the PG is similar to the penthouse suites on Mariner and Voyager. It is larger than Category C and offers butler service (square footage and differences in cabins are included in the "ships" section of Radisson's website http://www.rssc.com) Have a wonderful trip! When are you traveling? Cheers, Anne

Archived