Hate to have this question posted again but...

Emme

I'm wondering if someone out there who'se been to Bermuda would mind posting the cost and the pros and cons about the:

taxi service, ferry service and the bus service.

I'm trying to get everything done now for the cruise (Aug 13th) and I apparently didn't pay attention to when this was gone over before.

My apologies. Thanks for your help.

Just read up in those links, looks like the buses can be quit a wait as well as slow but reasonable prices. The taxis can be expensive and also take some time. The ferry service also seems like it might take a while to get to where you are going.

We just want to go to the beach and back, that's it.

I'm thinking maybe the bus service??

We have early seating for dinner, I'm wondering what time we should leave the beach so we get to the ship in time to prepare for dinner?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you rent a moped, we paid $80 for 24 hrs. It was nice being able to hop on it & go whenever & not have to wait for the ferry or bus, taxi. A little scary at first but you get used to it & have to watch out for the other drvers!

Emme, we took the bus from King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay for $4/person each way. It was very easy and took about 20 minutes to get there and a bit longer to get back. We didn't have to wait for the bus at all though, it was already right there waiting for us!

Where will you docked Emme? You can catch the #7 bus from either Hamilton or Dockyards to the South Shore beaches but if you are in St. Georges there are nearby beaches that public transit does not go to, you have to either walk, cab or apparantly there is a shuttle operating while cruise ships are there.

Every way has its advantages and disadvantages. Buses are cheapest but may be crowded and most drivers won't let you on if your clothes are wet or sandy (be sure to change out of those wet bathing suits). Taxis are more expensive but faster though you may or may not have to wait a while for one. Scooters are the most flexible way to go but I'd only recommend them if you have experience riding scooters/motorcycles.

We're leaving in a few days and I still haven't determined if we will get a bus pass or not ... a couple of questions ...

(1) When you say the busses are crowded, is it just that people have to stand or would it be scary for children?

(2) If the busses get full, how much longer do you typically have to wait for then next bus?

(3) I understand that ones bathing suit has to be dry and free from sand for the bus, but are they OK with a cover up, or do you actually have to change out of your bathing suit?

(3) can you negotiate with the cab drivers?

(4) if you request a cab driver to meet you back at a certain place at a certain time do they typically do so?

(5) clearly the ferry takes a long time, but will it be a trip that is enjoyed by children?

Thank you!!!

Also, I know someone mentioned this before but where do I purchase the bus tickets?

And is Tobacco Bay within walking distance from Hamilton?

Thank you very much once again.

1) Buses are crowded but not as to scare people in the Dockyards they tend to put on extra buses to the beach.

2) see above the normal schedule on the main routes is 20 minutes or less but at night it can be every hour until the last bus--they don't run 24/7

3-1) if you are wearing a coverup and your suit is mostly dry no one will know.

3-2 while everything is negotiatable, if there are a lot of people they won't anyway. Also its not normal for Bermuda but heck they know you are a tourist anyway.

4. Most of the tourist areas have cab lines where they wait. At non-tourist areas I am not sure. Yes you can arrange for a cab to come get you. They are telephone dispatched as well(its why the government want them to install GPS so they always know where they are).

5. The fast ferries take 20-25 minutes to Hamilton and Back(to the Dockyards each way). Its a long way to St George by Cab, Ferry or Bus from the Dockyards

Also, I know someone mentioned this before but where do I purchase the bus tickets?

And is Tobacco Bay within walking distance from Hamilton?

Thank you very much once again.

You can puchase them on your ship or there will be a place right off the ship.

No you can't walk from Hamilton to Tobacco Bay. Tobacco Bay is within walking distance from St George---not Hamiltion. Its about 8 miles from Hamilton. About a mile from St George.

(3) I understand that ones bathing suit has to be dry and free from sand for the bus, but are they OK with a cover up, or do you actually have to change out of your bathing suit?

Smeyer418 is correct in that if your suit is reasonably dry then putting on a cover-up over it won't be a big deal. Also I once got on a bus wearing my swim shorts, which I guess was still damp but the bus driver just asked me to put a towel on my seat before sitting down.

Horseshoe beach is 20 minutes from Hamilton and more from the Dockyards. The walk from the bus stop to the beach is less than 5 minutes--downhill. I road the jitney bus up for a $1.00 per person. I also have done it by taxi. The Taxi is fine. The Bus was fine. The jitney was ok- but better than walking up hill.

How will I know what a jitney looks like??

Smyer, just let me say duh!! I got St George and Hamilton mixed up! lol

Thanks for the info and setting that straight!

jit·ney [ jítnee ] (plural jit·neys)

noun

Definitions:

inexpensive small bus: a small bus that takes passengers on a regular route for a small fare

Its a small van 10 people or so. You can't miss it. I put the definition up since I realize its a word that may be more Yankee than most.

Enjoy it.....

Emme, There is a big sign in front of the van that will say " for a $1 I will take you up the hill" ( or something similar) you can't miss it.

definitely can't miss it!! The whole walk down the hill, we were dreading the walk back up!! It is a BIG hill! At the bottom there is a sign "For a $1.00 I will drive you up hill, it's the best $1.00 you will spend" and believe me, it was!!!!!!

Thank you to all who posted about bus passes. We got a three day bus pass for us and our small children and boy was it easy to get around the island.

There were ships all over the island and yet only once did we need to stand. The children didn't even complain!

Bonnie

Horseshoe beach is 20 minutes from Hamilton and more from the Dockyards. The walk from the bus stop to the beach is less than 5 minutes--downhill. I road the jitney bus up for a $1.00 per person. I also have done it by taxi. The Taxi is fine. The Bus was fine. The jitney was ok- but better than walking up hill.

I have a ? - is there a way to get down the hill without walking? My mother has trouble walking. Does the jitney take you back up to the bus stop or is there more walking involved?

Thanks.

The Jitney goes down too but doesn't normally get there until after lunch I believe. The bus stops is a short distance from where the Jitney drops you off BUT even after the Jitney or a cab for that matter its a walk(short though it is) out to the beach past the beachhouse concession etc.

Archived