DD214 in Galveston

nascar junkie

I don't know the answer to your question, but on my wish list is for RCI to verify eligibility when a reservation is made, not trust people to tell the truth, as has been the case every time we've sailed on a military rate (DH is retired Navy). On Princess and Carnival, you have to show proof in the form of your DD-214 or I.D. card that you are eligible for the military OBC (Princess) or rate (Carnival) at the time you send in the request or make the booking. Carnival will cancel a booking (they may just bump it up to the going rate) if proof isn't submitted within a few days of the original booking.

I know..I tried to get them to give approval prior but they said they don't do that, you just have to show documentation at boarding. I'm sure I'm OK but their definition of 2 years of military service that is not wartime is very vauge. Mine is combined active duty and active/inactive reserve. 6 total years served. My dd214 is typewritten and over 50years old. I did verify a notorized copy was acceptable but I've heard all kind of different interpertations of wht's acceptable depending who's at the pier and that's not a time I need to be arguing with some 7.00 an hour agent.:eek:

In order to preserve military discount at check-in, has anyone had to show notorized copy of DD214 while checking in at Galveston? if so, did they try and require original?

We take our original paperwork every trip, never have been asked. If we forget it sometime, that's when we'll be asked!

We leave on March 2. Have called them 2x and written 3 x. My problem is I am a notary and we basically attest to signatures on documents, not verifying the docs themselves. Calling says copy is fine. Email responses says take DD214 to a notary, have them make a copy and notarize it. Strange.

Banks will not to this type of notarization. I will be handing over the unnotarized copy but bringing the original. Carnival has it right--submit to them and it's good forever.

If you go after we do, will let you know.

I took mine (copy: DD-214) once to Hong Kong where I had a

military dis-count cruise fare.

On check-in, I handed it to the check in agent, (he never asked for it) and, he said: "Ohhh thanks.." He never gave it back, and, I forgot to ask for it back....

No big deal...I should have just waited for him to ask for it, and, I don't even know if he would have asked for it... :confused:

Edited by GaryfmCol

The County Clerk where we live offers a service to Vets. They copy the original DD214 and add it to the register and keep the copy among the county records for safe keeping. They also will give me a 'certified copy' when ever I ask for it. This way I can keep the original in my safe deposit box. I take the 'certified copy' with me when I take advantage of the military discount, but have not been asked to show it yet....

Thanks guys..It appears it just depends on who's on duty at the pier. This is my 1st time on RCL and hopefully they aren't as scattered as they appear. When your at the pier and trying to board is not the time to have to deal with inconsistancies. Cruiserbarbie...please post response when you return so I can see what you run into. We don't go till July.

Thanks guys..It appears it just depends on who's on duty at the pier. This is my 1st time on RCL and hopefully they aren't as scattered as they appear. When your at the pier and trying to board is not the time to have to deal with inconsistancies. Cruiserbarbie...please post response when you return so I can see what you run into. We don't go till July.

The bottom line is that if you claim the Military Discount, you have to bring the proof that is specified in the fine print of the military discount box you checked. If you don't follow it to the letter AND they check, you will be on the hook to make up the difference or watch the ship sail away from the pier....

The bottom line is that if you claim the Military Discount, you have to bring the proof that is specified in the fine print of the military discount box you checked. If you don't follow it to the letter AND they check, you will be on the hook to make up the difference or watch the ship sail away from the pier....

Yes you need to show your DD214 but they don't check

I do carry mil Id just in case thou:o

In reply to Ed and Barb, I have no problem with having to show proof of eligibility as long as I have a clear definition of eligibility. The current written policy on line states notorized copy is OK. Others have been ask for the original. There's no-one any more anal than I am when it comes to policy and procedure. My issue has been, RCL is not clear in their definition of service. Active duty, total service, or what. There is also apparently also no consistancy in what constitues proof at the time of sailing. Apparently, other lines require proof up front so you know where you stand well prior to arrival. My TA says RCL will not approve eligibility until you check in at the pier. I suspect that's because most all will pay the extra if required at that time as opposed to not booking due to the cost without it at time of booking. I'm not sure I like that way of doing business.

In reply to Ed and Barb, I have no problem with having to show proof of eligibility as long as I have a clear definition of eligibility. The current written policy on line states notorized copy is OK. Others have been ask for the original. There's no-one any more anal than I am when it comes to policy and procedure. My issue has been, RCL is not clear in their definition of service. Active duty, total service, or what. There is also apparently also no consistancy in what constitues proof at the time of sailing. Apparently, other lines require proof up front so you know where you stand well prior to arrival. My TA says RCL will not approve eligibility until you check in at the pier. I suspect that's because most all will pay the extra if required at that time as opposed to not booking due to the cost without it at time of booking. I'm not sure I like that way of doing business.

I looked at the military discount requirements again. They say nothing about notarized or certified or original or anything about a copy. Just the form number. I remember a year or so when I asked about it, they told me a certified copy was OK. But they were a little vague about what a certified copy was. I qualify under bullet #3 and need to be prepared to show either the DD214 or DD256. I bring my certified copy from the County Clerk back home and have yet to be asked for it.

Just about 99% of the time they will not ask about it when you check in at the port. I just did a dummy booking of a cabin with the military discount. Just before I entered in the passenger/dining info, the same requirements popped up as I checked initially. Here is the text...

"Military Program Restrictions

You are purchasing a cruise vacation using a special restricted price program rate. It is important that at least one guest per stateroom be eligible to be considered in compliance with a restricted price program. It is also important to note that non-compliance of the restricted price program terms will result in the reservation being re-priced to the lowest available fare for that particular day. Furthermore, you will be responsible to pay for any differences immediately or else your boarding rights will be denied.

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess the same white card as described above for active personnel. All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

4. Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom. "

4. Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

I just got mine renewed yesterday. for once we realized it BEFORE it had expired(* by one day*) but I swear I must be colorblind cuz it sure as hell ain't Pink to my eyes. more like a brown uglier than Hubby's uniform....which is saying something.... ;)

If anyone needs it I try to post this link on these threads every so often. You can go here [National Archives site] and get a certified copy of your DD214:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

The return is pretty prompt -- I think I got mine within a couple of weeks. They sent two certified copies that actual have raised seals [my "original" doesn't even have that -- it is actually just a carbon]. Anyway, this is a good service if you need a copy, it is free and gives you one to carry in case you are worried about your original.

Edited by mjldvlks

We have a Military discount on Allure next Nov. I will bring a copy of the correct form except that it is a WD53 dated in 1946.

That is the forerunner of the DD214. That will really throw them for a loop if they even ask for it. Never been asked for before but am always prepared.

[my "original" doesn't even have that -- it is actually just a carbon]. .

That just means your old :p:D

Hey Dennis, thanks for the link

Good Idea to have an extra one just for RCCL cruises

I recently booked my first RC cruise using the military discount. After booking, the agent told me to bring my proof of service to the port. I asked was there a number to fax it in before hand and was told no, I had to bring it to the port. I thought that was a bit strange since with Carnival they want it within days and then make a note of it so you don't have to submit it again in the future.

My cruise isn't until next February so I have to keep reminding myself that I need to take the extra documentation to the port with me.

If anyone needs it I try to post this link on these threads every so often. You can go here [National Archives site] and get a certified copy of your DD214:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

The return is pretty prompt -- I think I got mine within a couple of weeks. They sent two certified copies that actual have raised seals [my "original" doesn't even have that -- it is actually just a carbon]. Anyway, this is a good service if you need a copy, it is free and gives you one to carry in case you are worried about your original.

Thanks for this link. I submitted a request. My DD214 is somewhere amongst my "papers" but couldn't put my hand on it if my life depended on it. I did however scan a copy and saved it on a thumb drive and my computer so I could print a copy if need be.

My cruise isn't until next February so I have to keep reminding myself that I need to take the extra documentation to the port with me.

We keep the passports in a plastic zip bag along with the Set Sail papers. If I got a Military discount, I just put the DD214 in the bag with the passports.