St Thomas Taxi Switch and Bait

piner11

We were in St. Thomas last week on a cruise and wanted to tour Blackbeard's castle. We had 9 in our group and the cab company head quoted us $7 per person. Another family got in our van and the driver stated that the other family wanted to go to Magen's bay beach. He then suggested that we go the Magen's bay beach and then Blackbeard's castle on the way back. We agreed and he never mentioned any price difference. Based on his suggested time frame at Magen's bay beach, we arrived at Blackbeard's castle around 2:10. To our driver's SUPRISE, it closed at 2:00. At that point, he suggested that he could drop us off in town. Upon arrival in town, he proceeded to tell us the fare was $10 per person (each way). After we mentioned that he never informed us of any amount beyond the $7, he stated that he was going to call the taxi commissioner for our refusal to pay. At the point, I assume most people would just pay the money and leave. We had a few strong willed people with us. After the taxi commissioner and police showed us, they both agreed that the taxi driver was in the wrong in the fact that he never renegotiated a price with our party. At that point, we proceeded to pay the driver $14 per person based on the $7 amount we were quoted. He still refused to accept that. The police officer informed us that we were free to go. My suggestion in St. Thomas is to ensure an agreed upon amount to your destination and back to your final destination before getting in a cab. We love St. Thomas, but this experience made it an unpleasant day. We were also informed after the fact that cab drivers do not like to go only to Blackbeard's castle because the fare is not enough money.

I have been to St. Thomas twice in the past two months and have had taxi issues both times.

The first time was off the Freedom in May with my daughter. Another ship was in port so it was a bit crazy. We walked through the gate and a man directed us to an open air taxi to "wait" for others. We waited about 20 minutes and just got out of the taxi and walked toward the taxi dispatch area. There we asked for a taxi to Magen's Bay. The dispatch guy told a driver to take us in his car. The driver started screaming back at him "don't tell me what to do" and they started arguing. It was so uncomfortable I just walked away from them. We almost missed Trunk Bay because at this point we were heading back to the ship. Right before the entrance back in there was another dispatch person who finally put us in a taxi that was already full and off we went.

Last week I was in St. Thomas again with my husband. Coming back from Coki beach (at which we had other "issues" on the beach) a driver asked my husband if he wanted a ride back...to which he said ok, but that he had to find me. I wasn't aware of this, and found us a different driver. So we got in her taxi (and then waited 15 minutes for others). The other driver came by us and called out my husband, saying "hey...you said you were coming with me". My husband politely told him that he wasn't aware that I had already made other arrangements, which dissipated the situation. But for a few minutes there...it was a bit intense.

We have been stopping at St. Thomas for years. IMHO just think the taxi situation is getting out of hand there.

We were pretty upset with our taxi in St. Thomas as well.

We asked to go to Sapphire Beach, and were the first people in the taxi. The next people in wanted to go to Secret Harbor, filled up the taxi. We then went through town, where apparently the guy had also asked to stop at a jewerly shop. It took us over an hour to stop so he could drop off some ring. We were never told we would be taking an incredibly long detour. By the time we got to Secret Harbor, the taxi driver suggested we just stay there because the ride to Sapphire would be so long.

We were pretty furious. It turned out the wind at Sapphire was bad, so we probably had a better time because of the switch, but the LONG detour through town was pretty infuriating. At first we thought it was just bad traffic until he stopped to let the guy out, and then wait on him!

This is the only port we have been upset with taxis. We've had a few try to rip us off on fare for a few dollars, but never take hours of our time!

That way you are guaranteed to be ripped of, rather than wondering if you will be?

Yes you do make a valid point but I am not going to get into an argument with Carib island taxi drivers nor their police etc.

Too many horror stories. Ships tours are expensive but at least the guide is in charge of a larger prepaid group. Safety in numbers and the tour ops definitely do not want to piss off the cruiselines

So for this port I will get ripped off my the cruise ship

Fwiw I do DIY all the time but just not comfortable here

Edited by Crusin6