questions first time on Jade. Gluten free

mutleytex

Hi everyone. I am needing Tips help info on Jade, we are looking at doing a 19 night OCT 2015. and still trying to get as much Knowledge as possible.

Anything will be a help:confused:

EG: I am Gluten Free and have not had any issues on other cruises

can we bring wine /spirits on board;)

prices of drinks Ect

What is Haven.

what is the nationality of most staff,

Do we use USD or EURO.

is balcony bigger than others,,,

As you can see i need everything and have been scrolling for hours looking, My main Prob is that i am trying to organize this cruise for 8 adults:cool:

Cheers and thanks Barb:D

Hi everyone. I am needing Tips help info on Jade, we are looking at doing a 19 night OCT 2015. and still trying to get as much Knowledge as possible.

prices of drinks Ect

What is Haven.

Do we use USD or EURO.

As you can see i need everything and have been scrolling for hours looking, My main Prob is that i am trying to organize this cruise for 8 adults:cool:

Haven't been on Jade but I can help you with some answers:

• Gluten Free: Let your servers know you need GF. I remember seeing it noted on menus but you may have to ask at the buffet.
  • Bringing wine on board: You will need to pay a fee to bring your own wine/spirits on board. Contact NCL.
  • Haven is a special area of the ship with extra services... at an extra price. Like extra-special suites.
  • Staff: Most staff seem to be from the Phillipines, but you can find someone from practically everywhere.
  • USD or EUR: Not sure if it depends on where you are cruising. I don't know where Jade is in October 2915.
  • Balcony room size: I can't tell... what "others" are you referring to? The NCL web site will tell you how big the rooms in each category are.

prices of drinks Ect

What is Haven.

Do we use USD or EURO.

In Nov.2010 we cruised the Jade in the Med. I need Gluten Free and NCL Jade was amazingly helpful. Please make sure they know your issues before you get on the ship by emailing them. I can get you the email if you need it. I had the best GF Pizza ever on the Jade and still have not had one as good. The wait staff is exceptional and did everything to make sure I was GF.

Lynda

prices of drinks Ect

What is Haven.

Do we use USD or EURO.

These all are pretty much generic NCL questions, not much Jade specific in any:

For special diet you'll need to contact NCL's Accessibility Desk, their contact info can be found on NCL website under "Accessible cruising". NCL is very good with special diets as long as you are pro-active and let them know about it in advance.

You can not bring any other alcoholic beverages than wine for onboard consumption. You can always surrend any land bought alcohol bottles for holding until the cruise ends though.

For all and any bottles of wine brought for onboard consumption you will be charged $15 corkage fee per 750ml bottle, more for bigger ones - regardless of who opens it, where it is drank etc. Corkage fee has nothing to do with actually opening the bottle but it offsets lost revenue for the cruise line. So even if the bottle is opened by a passenger and drank alone in the cabin, corkage fee still applies.

Drink prices are usually around $6-7 (15% auto-gratuity included) for mainstream liquors and beers, higher for more complicated/premium cocktails.

Haven has been answered already, it is a private pool/lounge area for higher end suites - older ships like Jade do not have private bar or restaurant there.

Staff speaks good or at least decent English - some better than others - that's about all there is to say about the staff. All NCL ships use English as main language and have similar mix of nationalities onboard.

All NCL ships use USD as onboard currency. You do not need any cash onboard, everything is paid with your cabin keycard and added to your onboard account. Using different currency than USD onboard (paying off the account balance, exchanging money, etc) is subject to $10 fee. What currency you need when going to ports depends on the itinerary.

Only Jade (or actually Jewel class) related question is one that simply can't be answered except than yes - compared to most others, SE suites have really, really big balconies. ;)

As already cited, you need to contact the NCL Access Desk and advise of the allergy at least 60 days prior to sailing. When we sailed on the Star, that's all we had to do, but we're on the Breakaway THIS SUNDAY! and also received a form to be completed and submitted. Not sure if that's a change in policy for NCL or just the Breakaway.

We found the staff to be highly trained not just in food allergies, but also cross-contamination. My daugher ordered breakfast potatoes one morning after seeing mine and the waiter came back and asked if she was the one with the gluten allergy. He advised her that while the potatoes themselves were gluten-free, they are warmed on the same grill that is used for the pancakes and french toast, so there could be residual flour on the grill. Needless to say, I was impressed.

We skipped the buffets as while we know what we can/can't eat, the whole cross contamination issue of utensils was something we didn't want to worry about.

One other point -- if you know where you will be dining the next night, ask the waiter in the restaurant for the menu for the next night and tell them you'd like to pre-order. They would prepare any item on the menu for my daughter gluten-free. We were able to do this for any venue -- main dining room and specialty restaurants. It does take a little planning to know what you want for dinner the next night, but the option was great for my daughter as she had access to everything on the menu, not just the gluten-free options that night.

DH & I were on the Sky in May, I sent the email about 6 weeks prior to our trip. The g/f items were excellent. I had 2 meals pre-ordered that were not where they were supposed to be. Both times, NCL fixed the problem, but I had to wait for a little over 30 minutes for my meal to arrive to the area that dh & I were eating. They also served my husband his regular meal before receiving mine, so it was quite awkward for him to have a hot meal but not me. Just an FYI. They have a good set-up but the set-up failed me on 2 meals within the short time on board.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the info you have provided. My wife was just diagnosed recently with Celiac, so we've been checking 'just how it'll all work out'. You've totally set our mind at ease for our cruise coming up in Nov (on the Dawn). I've sent the access desk an email, so I think we're all set :) . Again, my thanks, to not only you, but to the others who have responded!

DH & I were on the Sky in May, I sent the email about 6 weeks prior to our trip. The g/f items were excellent. I had 2 meals pre-ordered that were not where they were supposed to be. Both times, NCL fixed the problem, but I had to wait for a little over 30 minutes for my meal to arrive to the area that dh & I were eating. They also served my husband his regular meal before receiving mine, so it was quite awkward for him to have a hot meal but not me. Just an FYI. They have a good set-up but the set-up failed me on 2 meals within the short time on board.
Edited by mbisson