Luggage Allowance - Help?!

DarCrav

How strict is Cunard about the 20 kg per bag? We sailed four years ago and I don't remember a problem. But this year, yikes! Our one bag weighed in at 61 pounds at the Jet Blue weigh in (I know this is larger than 40 kg). And four years ago we had three formal nights to the one we are having this cruise. Did Cunard raise the weight restrictions? It's closing on to midnight and I am frantically pulling out items from our two suitcases and stuffing them into Duane Reade Urban Luggage canvas carry on bags. Hope THOSE will be accepted as carrying. Help?!!!!

How strict is Cunard about the 20 kg per bag? We sailed four years ago and I don't remember a problem. But this year, yikes! Our one bag weighed in at 61 pounds at the Jet Blue weigh in (I know this is larger than 40 kg). And four years ago we had three formal nights to the one we are having this cruise. Did Cunard raise the weight restrictions? It's closing on to midnight and I am frantically pulling out items from our two suitcases and stuffing them into Duane Reade Urban Luggage canvas carry on bags. Hope THOSE will be accepted as carrying. Help?!!!!

I can't comment on airline luggage weight allowances (is that what you are asking about?), but I can tell you that I had a similar dilemma on my QM2 voyage last Sept. One piece of luggage was seriously overweight, and I only realized that shortly before driving to the Red Hook Terminal. When the longshoreman at the pier picked up our luggage, we tipped him generously as I apologized for the extra weight. No problem. We were in our stateroom when the luggage was brought by ship's porters, and again, we tipped generously and apologized for the extra weight. Again, no problem. I'm sorry that I overburdened the porters, and I wouldn't do it again, but I'm grateful that they didn't make an issue of it.

So to make a long story short, I don't think you will have a problem at the pier with Cunard. Bon Voyage! -S

As someone who frequently handles other people baggage, admittedly not checked baggage, if at all possible, try and decant some of it into something else.

Yes, the porters on the dock and onboard, I am sure most certainly will get it to your cabin, but their backs and joints will not thank you for it in the future.

Even if you just buy a strong re-usable big carrier bag from a market, or a cheap hold-all type bag and take out some of the soft clothing or such and carry it on yourself.

Whilst I am sure tipping is a nice apology after the event, it is not fair to ask people to lift and carry items double the guided weight.

Why pack everything in one bag. Aside from exceeding the recommended weights, splitting the total into two means if one bag goes missing you are not left completely bereft.

And do we need to take so much? We are as guilty as most people and have vowed to cut down on our next trip.

David.

Why pack everything in one bag. Aside from exceeding the recommended weights, splitting the total into two means if one bag goes missing you are not left completely bereft.

And do we need to take so much? We are as guilty as most people and have vowed to cut down on our next trip.

David.

On our last trip on QV we realised that one of the bags was a few kgs over the 20k so we bought a cheap case in Southampton before going to the port. I don't think anything would have been said but we were worried about it.

Catherine

I've read about passengers taking a case of champagne/wine on board. Are those cases overweight?

I doubt it. And, I would imagine they mean a box of 6 bottles, which equates to a "case" of champagne. So, if that is correct, then I would imagine that to be 10-12 kilos.

60 pounds is just a bit over 27 kg, for what it's worth. You weren't double Cunard's 20kg allowance (which works out to 44 pounds).

No one at the pier weighs your luggage before putting it onto the cart so in effect it's a guideline. I'm sure that many US passengers arrive with close to 50 pounds in their cases, which is most airlines' checked weight limit.

DH and I try to distribute weight evenly between the bags, so that no single bag is especially heavy. We try to stay at, or below, 50 pounds, but occasionally a bag has been a few pounds over that weight. Like others, there has never been an issue, or comment, at any cruise terminal, but we have also tipped extra as would-be compensation.

I agree with T5LHR---the more important issue isn't whether we can "get away" with a overweight bag. It is about the health and safety of the workers handling the bag. That is the reason a weight limit is imposed on a per bag basis and not on the weight of your total luggage.

I think 61 pounds is really too much for a worker to have to lift. My recommendation would be to remove some heavier items from that suitcase.

DH and I have used small hand-carries for a few heavier objects---like books we bring on longer voyages and donate to the ship's library after reading. I have used a paper shopping bag from a department store for this purpose, then disposed of the bag immediately after boarding.

Hope you have a wonderful and memorial voyage! Happy Sailing!