Can Celebrity cruisers switch to Carnival?

richandcindy

We are diehard Celebrity cruisers but like the Liberty itinerary better for the mediterranean cruise next summer (plus it is $1500 cheaper). Also we travel with two teenage daughters and think Carnival will be more fun for them. Any thoughts from people who have cruised both Celebrity and Carnival? What should we expect?

I haven't cruised Celebrity, but have cruise Carnival twice in the past and keep planning on coming back to it each cruise. Of course, on this board, the answer to your question is going to be a little biased :rolleyes:

We've cruised Celebrity twice, RCCL twice, NCL once, Disney twice, and Carnival once (leaving next week for Carnival trip #2). My children aged 10 & 13 without a doubt requested Carnival when we discussed this trip. We too agreed it met all of our needs the best.

Celebrity had the better food, with Carnival coming in second (ahead of RCCL, NCL, & Disney). There was an elegance on Celebrity that was not matched on Carnival. However, there was a "fun" element on Carnival that couldn't be found on Celebrity. At least the sailings we were on, everything shut down at 10pm and we were the only under 60's on the ship. (We did go during school, so that probably impacted the clientele)

Would I enjoy cruising Celebrity again with my husband ... yes. Would I book them ahead of Carnival for a cruise with the children ... probably not unless the price was much better.

We're a pretty laid back family I should add & believe a cruise is what you make it. For the kids 24 hour ice cream, pizza, and "fun foods" available on the Lido deck are important. They also enjoyed the singing waiters in the dining room on Carnival and wouldn't miss a meal there.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

Celebrity is my favorite cruise line and try to book them as often as possible. However, I have been on Carnival and am doing so again in November on a cruise with some friends who are more "lively" than the usual Celebrity crowd. I have a good time no matter which cruise line I am on. Different cruise lines depending upong what you are looking for on the cruise sounds good to me.

Hi, we just got back from the Liberty as this Med. itinery was perfect for us. Loved the overnight in Venice. We have only been on RCL and Celebrity in the past. This was our first Carnival cruise. Celebrity definitely offers a different product,decor is classy and more elegant, food is far superior, the food offered in Harrys Bar on Carnival was good,but dining room was mediocre. Wait staff better trained. The differences are subtle but there. Carnival however did live up to its reputation as a Fun Ship. There was always something going on. Numerous lounges and bars with lounge acts. I found the bars and disco were far more livelier than on Celebrity and utilised more. there was the Hairy Chest contest and other activities of that nature , but whatever floats your boat was our motto.We just did not attend or participate in activities that did not interest us. Carnival offers a good value for money cruise and you really do get what you pay for. I found no difference in the Kids Club activities than on Celebrity. We are booked on the Destiny over Christmas as a group of 22 of us are going. Some of our friends are diehard Carnival fans and certainly I think for a big group Carnival is great, howver i know what to expect now. However for our next family only cruise I would probably try Princess / Hollan america/or back to Celebrity. For us teh accomodations and food as well as the destinations are what make for an awesome vacation. Again there is nothing wrong with carnival and we had a great Med. cruise, it just would not be a line I would choose regularly. If you book a holiday Inn you should not expect Westin stds. and the same with Carnival. Go for it, I am sure you will have a good time and use that extra 1500 for shopping and tours. Please excuse any grammar or spelling errors.

decor is better on celebrity...other than that we liked carnival and felt carnival has better food...than celebrity...We had the worst food..and we aren't picky eaters at all..

think kids would like Carnival...probably more younger people and a much better value....Great ports.

I think the newer Carnival Ships( I just came back from the Glory 7/30-8/6) are just as nice as the new Celebrity ships(Summit, Millenium,etc.) I think the entertainment was MUCH better on Carnival. They had three comedians, jugglers,magicians, and of course the dancers(the female dancers were very hot).

The overall age was much youger on Carnival and there was always alot of activity.

The area that Celebrity is better in is the food quality(but to be honest, not tons better). The pizza on Carnival was excellent and it is offered 24/7.

I think Carnival is a better value compared to Celebrity. My Suite cost the same as a regular balcony cabin on RCCL that was sailing the same itinerary the same week. I will sail Carnival again.

-Male, 35, married.

We were on 3 Celebrity cruises and enjoyed them greatly. Food was great but the food on our third cruise was not as good as the first. The ships are beautiful and service top notch but a little pretentious. Also entertainment was fair. We were very aprehensive about going on Carnival due to its' reputation. We went on the Carnival Legend and were completely. Food was surprisingly good, entertainment better and staff very friendly and helpful. It is definitely a different experience but one we enjoyed.

thanks for all the replies. I guess that settles it. When we cruise with the kids from now one we will take Carnival for more "Fun" activities. When we cruise alone and want a little more sedate environment with better food we will use Celebrity. So we just booked the Destiny for spring break. Much cheaper than the Constellation (which we love). But for what we will save compared to Celebrity, our two 2006 cruises will almost pay for a third.

thanks for all the replies. I guess that settles it. When we cruise with the kids, from now on we will take Carnival for more "Fun" activities. When we cruise alone and want a little more sedate environment with better food we will use Celebrity. So we just booked the Destiny for spring break. Much cheaper than the Constellation (which we love). But for what we will save compared to Celebrity, our two 2006 cruises will almost pay for a third.

Archived