Have you ever slept all night outside on a public deck?

63galaxie

I was on the Splendor around South America and got an upper respiratory infection. I had trouble sleeping and was coughing a lot. I was concerned about bothering my DW, so I grabbed a blanket, pillow and whatever and headed to the Lido deck. It was about 11:00 PM and a movie was still playing. I propped myself up to minimize the coughing and waited out the movie. After the movie was over I just couldn't get comfortable in the lounge chairs. I wish I had thought about the Serenity Deck. By 12:30 AM, I was back in the room. I use a rolled up bathrobe to make a wedge and finally got to sleep.

Yes, I have slept outside many times, by choice. Even when traveling solo, so my cabins stays empty while I sleep outside. I do it almost once on every cruise.

I do bring a pillow & blanket or towel and pick a spot that is very windy. I've slept on the floor at the very top in front of the windows where there is just a railing (No glass or steel cover). A few times I've slept on the serenity deck on a lounge chair if it is windy there. I usually head back to my cabin before sunrise.

It's an experience I can't get at home. Nowadays they put up signs that say it is closed due to strong winds, but I misread as "Welcome to an Windy Adventure." I always take my music and really enjoy myself.

Edited by CruiserKid

Our family's first cruise was on the Fantasy....we had an interior cabin that was plagued by a slamming door (10 times per minute) somewhere behind the back wall of our cabin. It was so horrible - and Guest Services insisted there was nothing slamming/banging/wrong that I took pillow and blanket and slept in the hallway outside the cabin.

I wondered whether Security might tell me I needed to sleep elsewhere, but they never did.

Will never sail the Fantasy again!

A co-worker is a frequent traveler on RCCI and always has a 2-level suite. She told me that she and her DH sleep on the upper decks every single night in a lounge chair. It's just "so nice." And that's why there's more than one flavor of ice cream!

One time. I believe it was the Celebration in 1995 and it was my family's first cruise and I was 13. Fire in the electrical room took out all the power. We were able to sleep in our room the first night (5 in a Riviera interior :eek:) but it was way to hot the second night. So us and several hundred of our closest friends baked all day in the sun and then spent all night on the deck. It was truly a miserable experience, but makes for a great story.

My family used to have a large boat and we would go out for up to 2 weeks at a time so I got plenty of chances to sleep on the open deck...and loved it. Fresh air, sound of the ocean going by, the wind - wonderful.

I have seen people fall asleep after dinner out there on the Serenity deck in the basket chairs and most of the time the crew just quietly cleans around them. I have done it once, but woke up around 2 am and headed back to my room.

It all depends on where you pick your sleeping spot. On the Freedom and her sister ships, Serenity is way up top on the bow so you are kinda secluded. On the Legend and the Ecstasy it's on the stern in a well-traveled area so not so good for sleeping because people will be walking around. If you have a balcony - that is probably the best of both worlds. your cabin is right there and you may be able to ask someone to bring you a lounger if you only got the two chairs (tip well).