Which came first?

cle-guy

Just looked thru an article about a refurbished Carnival ship, and saw a slide with their "Alchemy Bar".

Which was first, Carnival's Alchemy or Celebrity's Molecular?

Does Royal or NCL have a similar themed bar?

Just looked thru an article about a refurbished Carnival ship, and saw a slide with their "Alchemy Bar".

Which was first, Carnival's Alchemy or Celebrity's Molecular?

Does Royal or NCL have a similar themed bar?

Hi Cle-guy,

Celebrity's Molecular bar made it's debut on Solstice in 2008. Carnival's Alchemy Bar made it's debut in late 2011. I believe it was part of their 2.0 initiative.

I do not believe that HAL or RCCL offers a dedicated type of venue, but I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a few options in some of their bars.

Hope this helps !

I really wish that they had included Molecular bars when the M class ships were Solsticized.

A Molecular bar at the bottom of the Grand staircase on deck 3 (in place of the captains club & future cruise sales office) would have been really nice.

Just my opinion:D

My last cruise was on the CCL Liberty and went to Alchemy Bar at least twice a day. They had a fabulous staff, without the flair bartending crap, just great drinks. Most of the same people were there every evening before dinner. I am looking forward to the Molecular Bar on our first X cruise Sept 2015 on the Solstice.

Having sailed on the Carnival Glory and Celebrity Equinox within 14 months of each other I'll chime in on the two bars. Carnival wins by a landslide as far as quality of drinks and experience in the Alchemy bar. We had the drink package on the Glory and enjoyed incredible personalized cocktails in the Alchemy bar each evening. On the Equinox we also had the Premium drink package and were excited to try the Molecular bar. Arrogant bar tender and poor drinks. After two attempts ordering we got two bad drinks that tasted terrible. We were told you could only order off the menu which meant our friends who did not have the package had to go to another bar. We went back to the Martini Bar and had our cocktails there the remainder of the cruise. Loved the Martini bar. Actually a more similar experience to Carnival Alchemy. Also the bartenders on Carnival were far superior as far as personality. Now having said that we loved the Equinox and are booked on Reflection this fall. So we really like Celebrity. If I were traveling with my family I would pick a Carnival ship with the Alchemy bar and buy the drink package again. If I were cruising with just my wife and I it would be Celebrity. Totally different experiences but both good. OK, you can now skewer me!

Having sailed on the Carnival Glory and Celebrity Equinox within 14 months of each other I'll chime in on the two bars. Carnival wins by a landslide as far as quality of drinks and experience in the Alchemy bar. We had the drink package on the Glory and enjoyed incredible personalized cocktails in the Alchemy bar each evening. On the Equinox we also had the Premium drink package and were excited to try the Molecular bar. Arrogant bar tender and poor drinks. After two attempts ordering we got two bad drinks that tasted terrible. We were told you could only order off the menu which meant our friends who did not have the package had to go to another bar. We went back to the Martini Bar and had our cocktails there the remainder of the cruise. Loved the Martini bar. Actually a more similar experience to Carnival Alchemy. Also the bartenders on Carnival were far superior as far as personality. Now having said that we loved the Equinox and are booked on Reflection this fall. So we really like Celebrity. If I were traveling with my family I would pick a Carnival ship with the Alchemy bar and buy the drink package again. If I were cruising with just my wife and I it would be Celebrity. Totally different experiences but both good. OK, you can now skewer me!

We sailed on Equinox in April and can see how the bartenders at the Molecular bar could be seen as you saw them. I am not sure if rude is the right word, or cold, or just unfriendly, but definitely not like we've experienced at some bard both land and see. We chalked it up to cultural differences and like you didn't let it impact our cruise.

I am not sure why your friends just couldn't have bought drinks off the menu because they didn't have a package? Do you mean there were no drinks included in the package they had and they didn't want to pay?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I am not sure why your friends just couldn't have bought drinks off the menu because they didn't have a package? Do you mean there were no drinks included in the package they had and they didn't want to pay?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The molecular bar will not serve people just non-molecular bar drinks, such as a pina colada or a scotch and coke. I had it once where I was just sitting with some friends and couldn't order a plain diet coke.:(

The molecular bar will not serve people just non-molecular bar drinks, such as a pina colada or a scotch and coke. I had it once where I was just sitting with some friends and couldn't order a plain diet coke.:(

Sure, but the quote I was referring to said they couldn't order there because they didn't have a package, not because they didn't like something on the menu.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna, anyone, with or without a package, can order any drink, but I think the one poster meant that they can't order anything that's not on the Mo Bar menu.

OK, I just didn't want to put word in the posters mouth when they said "We were told you could only order off the menu which meant our friends who did not have the package had to go to another bar." To me, one does not follow or cause the other.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna, anyone, with or without a package, can order any drink, but I think the one poster meant that they can't order anything that's not on the Mo Bar menu.

That is how I read it. This is one of the problems with posting. Different people can interpret the same post differently. :D

Anyway, the molecular bar is my least favourite bar due to these issues and the rudeness of the bar staff there.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

Sorry for the confusion. They had the standard package and just wanted standard gin and tonic or bourbon drinks. Could not get them. Not a big deal because it is not that far to another bar! My point, is that as much as Carnival is bashed on this site in my opinion they clearly win the Molecular Bar vs Alchemy Bar comparison. Not just for drink availability but for staff service. The points made above concerning cultural differences are probably true but then maybe the people involved should be serving somewhere else. This type of bar product is supposed to be unique and fun! Don't get me wrong as I said before, not a deal breaker as I just went back to the Martini bar and had a blast.

Edited by cmalagngl

My routine was always get a drink at Molecualr then take to downstairs to Martini to enjoy with my group who didn't want Molecular drinks.

I liken Molecular's policy of only serving drinks on their menu to not being able to go to McDonald's and order a Whopper with Cheese. Or going to the Mast Grill by the pool and not being to order a plate of lobster.

We sailed on Equinox in April and can see how the bartenders at the Molecular bar could be seen as you saw them. I am not sure if rude is the right word, or cold, or just unfriendly, but definitely not like we've experienced at some bard both land and see. We chalked it up to cultural differences and like you didn't let it impact our cruise.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We were on the EQ last month and Cristian and Irena were outstanding. The drinks were great. I think that they were on in April as they are leaving in a few weeks for vacation. They are friendly but I do think it's a cultural thing for some.

This was our every night pre dinner drink spot.

Sorry for the confusion. They had the standard package and just wanted standard gin and tonic or bourbon drinks. Could not get them. Not a big deal because it is not that far to another bar! My point, is that as much as Carnival is bashed on this site in my opinion they clearly win the Molecular Bar vs Alchemy Bar comparison. Not just for drink availability but for staff service. The points made above concerning cultural differences are probably true but then maybe the people involved should be serving somewhere else. This type of bar product is supposed to be unique and fun! Don't get me wrong as I said before, not a deal breaker as I just went back to the Martini bar and had a blast.

Just because one has a different opinion it is not "bashing". It's called giving an opinion. ;)

We were on the EQ last month and Cristian and Irena were outstanding. The drinks were great. I think that they were on in April as they are leaving in a few weeks for vacation. They are friendly but I do think it's a cultural thing for some.

This was our every night pre dinner drink spot.

Whether Blu, the MDR or a particular bar, I think once rapport is built with any staff, they seem friendlier, or maybe they even are friendlier and more likely to give better service. This is why I feel there is sometimes a disparity between how Aqua guests see Blu vs suite guests who seem to not have a as much an affinity. I also feel this can apply to those who just show for select dining vs having a standing reservation or eat at an assigned dining time.

Our second trip to the Molecular Bar on Equinox was better than the first, but our schedule just never brought us back there, so many choices and so much to do in the evening before dinner.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Whether Blu, the MDR or a particular bar, I think once rapport is built with any staff, they seem friendlier, or maybe they even are friendlier and more likely to give better service. This is why I feel there is sometimes a disparity between how Aqua guests see Blu vs suite guests who seem to not have a as much an affinity. I also feel this can apply to those who just show for select dining vs having a standing reservation or eat at an assigned dining time.

Our second trip to the Molecular Bar on Equinox was better than the first, but our schedule just never brought us back there, so many choices and so much to do in the evening before dinner.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I agree. We actually met Irena on the Reflection in 2013 and she remembered us. Both will be in the Silhouette when we board in March so we look forward to seeing them again. On the Reflection this past March we spent most of our time at the Martini bar as we liked the bartenders. So many choices.:)

Edited by cruisingator2

I liken Molecular's policy of only serving drinks on their menu to not being able to go to McDonald's and order a Whopper with Cheese. Or going to the Mast Grill by the pool and not being to order a plate of lobster.

Except that it is more like going to Macdonalds and asking for a Bigmac without pickles and them refusing to do the order.:(

Except that it is more like going to Macdonalds and asking for a Bigmac without pickles and them refusing to do the order.:(

I just don't agree. Molecular has a specific menu to order from. They stock specific beverages and liquors, not a full bar. They don't even have Coke behind that bar as none of the menu drinks use it.

Why won't Martini Bar then make a Celebrity 20 year Martini?

Now if you ordered a Lucky Cat and asked to use strawberries instead of raspberries, then I'd accept your point :D My Molecular bartender did, and renamed it a Lucky Dog (they ran out of raspberries the final night).

They are there to sell expensive drinks and put on a show, not sell cheap drinks that are common and without a show.

I just don't agree. Molecular has a specific menu to order from. They stock specific beverages and liquors, not a full bar. They don't even have Coke behind that bar as none of the menu drinks use it.

Why won't Martini Bar then make a Celebrity 20 year Martini?

Now if you ordered a Lucky Cat and asked to use strawberries instead of raspberries, then I'd accept your point :D My Molecular bartender did, and renamed it a Lucky Dog (they ran out of raspberries the final night).

They are there to sell expensive drinks and put on a show, not sell cheap drinks that are common and without a show.

I think it is bad service if the bar person refuses service for a simple drink that is behind the bar when that person is with a crowd drinking molecular type drinks. As a result, the whole crowd leaves, and then they are not selling any expensive drinks to anyone. I cannot see how that makes business sense.

By the way, the martini bar serves all sorts of drinks not just Martinis.

Edited by MicCanberra

I think it is bad service if the bar person refuses service for a simple drink that is behind the bar when that person is with a crowd drinking molecular type drinks. As a result, the whole crowd leaves, and then they are not selling any expensive drinks to anyone. I cannot see how that makes business sense.

RCI stock July 2013: $34 a share. Today, $57. Something's making business sense.

A big complaint many have at molecular is how long it takes to get a drink, and clouding their time with the non menu drinks isn't gonna help that. How hard is it to go down 2 level get a simple drink then come back? I do the opposite, get my Molecular drink then go down to martini to drink it.

I dont thnik Molecluar even socks Grey Goose vodka.

Is it bad service that Martini Bar wont make the 20 year martini?

Edited by cle-guy

RCI stock July 2013: $34 a share. Today, $57. Something's making business sense.

A big complaint many have at molecular is how long it takes to get a drink, and clouding their time with the non menu drinks isn't gonna help that. How hard is it to go down 2 level get a simple drink then come back? I do the opposite, get my Molecular drink then go down to martini to drink it.

I dont thnik Molecluar even socks Grey Goose vodka.

Is it bad service that Martini Bar wont make the 20 year martini?

I would imagine that the stocks do not hinge solely on sales of the molecular bar.

I think it is bad service if the martini bar won't make a martini. :(

Edited by MicCanberra

I would imagine that the stocks do not hinge solely on sales of the molecular bar.

I think it is bad service if the martini bar won't make a martini. :(

They certainly don't hinge on Molecular singly, but on the whole operation as a whole. As long as the MAJORITY of passengers are happy with service then it works. There's a small minority being affected by Molecular's policy, and the majority of that minority simply move to Martini and buy a drink, it's not like any are saying "damn it I can't get a drink, I'm going back to my cabin now what ever will I do". No money lost there.

And Martini bar won't make the 20 Year Martini, I realize why, they simply don't stock the ingredients, just like the Mast Grill doesn't stock ingredients for Pizza.