Which came first?

cle-guy

Except that it is more like going to Macdonalds and asking for a Bigmac without pickles and them refusing to do the order.:(

I think the Whopper is the more accurate analogy -- The Molecular Bar has ingredients to make the drink menu, nothing else. If Coke or Tonic is not an ingredient in one of their drinks, , they would not be able to make a Rum & Coke, or gin & tonic. They also do not have beer, and McDonalds can't make you a Whopper :)

Some people have convinced them to go get the ingredients from other bars, that isn't fair to the bar tenders or the other guests.

I will probably go the Molecular one time for the experience, then hangout at the Martini Bar, Sky Lounge, or Sunset Bar.

In the evening I generally drink either a Vodka Gimlet (shaken not stirred) or a Sapphire (my concoction: Bombay Sapphire Gin, Vermouth, & Blue Curacao).

Last cruise, on board CCL Liberty at the Alchemy Bar they did not stock rose's lime juice or blue curacao. However, I developed a rapport with the bartenders that evening and they had both ingredients the next afternoon. That folks is great customer service, they were tipped very well at the end of the cruise.

If all the talk I here about X is true this is what I would expect from a ships bar.

Edited by hawk/hornfan

I will probably go the Molecular one time for the experience, then hangout at the Martini Bar, Sky Lounge, or Sunset Bar.

In the evening I generally drink either a Vodka Gimlet (shaken not stirred) or a Sapphire (my concoction: Bombay Sapphire Gin, Vermouth, & Blue Curacao).

Last cruise, on board CCL Liberty at the Alchemy Bar they did not stock rose's lime juice or blue curacao. However, I developed a rapport with the bartenders that evening and they had both ingredients the next afternoon. That folks is great customer service, they were tipped very well at the end of the cruise.

If all the talk I here about X is true this is what I would expect from a ships bar.

The experience you speak of basically happens at almost every other bar on ship, Molecular is just special and unique and maintained as such. The bar itself has about 8 seats at it with some table space out in the area in the passageways and walkways leading to it.

I watched the bartenders at the Molecular bar tell guests no when asked for wine or regular drinks. This is a specialty bar and they stick to the menu as they should. There are plenty of bars on the ship if one wants a regular drink.

Edited by cruisingator2

I just don't agree. Molecular has a specific menu to order from. They stock specific beverages and liquors, not a full bar. They don't even have Coke behind that bar as none of the menu drinks use it.

Why won't Martini Bar then make a Celebrity 20 year Martini?

Now if you ordered a Lucky Cat and asked to use strawberries instead of raspberries, then I'd accept your point :D My Molecular bartender did, and renamed it a Lucky Dog (they ran out of raspberries the final night).

They are there to sell expensive drinks and put on a show, not sell cheap drinks that are common and without a show.

That is what happens to alot of people though, the rules the molecular bar tenders are under seem to be very strict, if you want to try a cocktail without a certain ingredient or with a different one it isn't allowed. If you want something virgin or don't like x ingredient they can't change it. It seems like each drink has been carefully crafted and junior? isn't willing to allow guests to experience things differently to his intention. I'm disabled and need to drink through a straw and was even told they weren't supposed to let me have one because the drink was meant to be drunk through the foam, they did give me one with no arguments though and I've had no complaints there.

Now my experience of the molecular bar tenders is fantastic, we spent lots of time there, were treated brilliantly and they certainly didn't stick to the rules with us. we've had cocktails created for us, crafted around our favourite ingredients. But just because I've been treated brilliantly doesn't mean that it's not bad to tell a customer they can't have the drink without X because thats not how the drink is meant to be drunk.

This isn't black and white though, it's perfectly reasonable to say sorry we don't serve wine here I'm afraid you need to go to X bar to get it especially if they are busy and can't be sending someone to get it themselves. It's not so reasonable to say you can't have your dragonfly without the vodka.

I think the Whopper is the more accurate analogy -- The Molecular Bar has ingredients to make the drink menu, nothing else. If Coke or Tonic is not an ingredient in one of their drinks, , they would not be able to make a Rum & Coke, or gin & tonic. They also do not have beer, and McDonalds can't make you a Whopper :)

Some people have convinced them to go get the ingredients from other bars, that isn't fair to the bar tenders or the other guests.

They certainly have juice and vodka and also water, none of which was available. It was more the abruptness and rudeness of the service that had the whole group move away.:(

That is what happens to alot of people though, the rules the molecular bar tenders are under seem to be very strict, if you want to try a cocktail without a certain ingredient or with a different one it isn't allowed. If you want something virgin or don't like x ingredient they can't change it. It seems like each drink has been carefully crafted and junior? isn't willing to allow guests to experience things differently to his intention. I'm disabled and need to drink through a straw and was even told they weren't supposed to let me have one because the drink was meant to be drunk through the foam, they did give me one with no arguments though and I've had no complaints there.

Now my experience of the molecular bar tenders is fantastic, we spent lots of time there, were treated brilliantly and they certainly didn't stick to the rules with us. we've had cocktails created for us, crafted around our favourite ingredients. But just because I've been treated brilliantly doesn't mean that it's not bad to tell a customer they can't have the drink without X because thats not how the drink is meant to be drunk.

This isn't black and white though, it's perfectly reasonable to say sorry we don't serve wine here I'm afraid you need to go to X bar to get it especially if they are busy and can't be sending someone to get it themselves. It's not so reasonable to say you can't have your dragonfly without the vodka.

At no time did I expect special treatment, have them make something that they couldn't or have them leave the bar to get ingredients they didn't stock. Sometimes good service is directing people politely to another area. It was not a big issue until the rudeness of the reply which then had the group leave.

However, I am glad you were able to have your drink and they bent their rules for you, in at least one case anyway. Cheers :D

Edited by MicCanberra

I watched the bartenders at the Molecular bar tell guests no when asked for wine or regular drinks. This is a specialty bar and they stick to the menu as they should. There are plenty of bars on the ship if one wants a regular drink.

I get that wine & beer not being available. However if I am with a group of people who are partaking of the "menu" and all I want is bourbon and branch water, that after the 1st day, if we spent any time at all socializing & spending money, that reasonable customer service, imho, would be to accommodate said customer. The size of there "extra" tip would depend on it. I tip well when given good service, not so much when not.

Anyone know why I would have a posted in this thread and it is now gone? When I search by "post by user" this thread comes up. So I know I made the post (at first I thought maybe I wrote post but failed to actually "submit"...but if that was the case it wouldn't show up on my search).

Anyone know why I would have a posted in this thread and it is now gone? When I search by "post by user" this thread comes up. So I know I made the post (at first I thought maybe I wrote post but failed to actually "submit"...but if that was the case it wouldn't show up on my search).

likely mods deleted it? I had one ho issuing today elsewhere too though that didn't seem to have anything wrong with it....

likely mods deleted it? I had one ho issuing today elsewhere too though that didn't seem to have anything wrong with it....

It happens from time to time. Sometimes it is because someone had broken the rules or the post is reporrted and other times it may be that it quotes one of these posts. Sometimes it just happens to be in amongst posts that the moderator doesn't like, it can be frustrating and sometimes confusing knowing you posted and then it disappears for no obvious breach of rules.

It happens from time to time. Sometimes it is because someone had broken the rules or the post is reporrted and other times it may be that it quotes one of these posts. Sometimes it just happens to be in amongst posts that the moderator doesn't like, it can be frustrating and sometimes confusing knowing you posted and then it disappears for no obvious breach of rules.

Sometimes if you don't follow a Mod's view of things or agenda, your posts disappear too. I've been communicating via email off-line with a few posters just livid about how agendas get pushed via deleted opposing views. Some of these folks have communicated direct to CC authorities and actually had their former deleted posts reinstated by CC authorities as a matter of fact. :roll eyes:

Let the countdown begin on this one LOL....I've started noting my post numbers when posting to see how many posts get removed in threads when I come back! It's kind of shocking how many insignificant ones disappear.

It would be helpful if deleted threads posters received notification as to what community rules were broken so we can learn from our mistakes. But CC rules prohibit even asking apparently. :rolleyes:

If a post does breach the rules, the poster may get a notification depending on what the breach is. I suppose it realy depends on the offence and the moderator as to what is allowed or not and to what is deemed notifiable or not.

I wish the mod would inform u (or at least have a place where u could c your own deleted postings with a box checked by mod as to why). The comment wasn't deserving of deletion (didn't break any rules and for sure wasn't controversial. Maybe just being a smart a$$)

We went on cruises on both Carnival and Celebrity last year and experience both bars. We really loved both - the Molecular Bar is one of the things I'm really looking forward to when we cruise Celebrity next month.

One thing that we loved in Carnival's Alchemy Bar is a bartending class that we took - it was very well done: both educational and a lot of fun. It wasn't published anywhere - one of our group was talking to a bartender who told them about it and we signed up. It sold out without being published/advertised.

Does anyone know if Molecular does classes like that? I don't remember seeing them last year, but that doesn't mean they're not offered.

[quote name='ScarlettMLB']One thing that we loved in Carnival's Alchemy Bar is a bartending class that we took - it was very well done: both educational and a lot of fun. It wasn't published anywhere - one of our group was talking to a bartender who told them about it and we signed up. It sold out without being published/advertised.

[/quote]
That sounds like a lot of fun. Did you have to drink all the drinks you made, if so, someone would have to wheel me back to my cabin.