Please help alaska 2014

Noideawhattodo

Who has the best food to alaska?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best food to alaska?

• Celebrity
    • Norwegian
    • Princess

(Moderator please move this to a different thread if appropriate)

Hi all, Long time reader, first time poster

Me and my wife have been looking to cruise to alaska from Seattle in the first week of August 2014. I didn't get the time off work until a few months ago so I couldn't plan and book we'll in advance. We've been looking for the last 60 days, hoping last minute specials would become available but nothing with any significant discount has. So we are looking at just paying a standard rate. That's ok though. We've settled with the fact that since it's our first cruise ever , that any itinerary for alaska will be fine. Inside passage, tracy arm fjord, glacier bay, any of them will be awesome for us. So it's just coming down to ship.

I'm just going to run down a few things we are looking for guidance on

(If anything looks familiar trust that I read the previous threads, I'm just looking for updated or additional opinions).

Norwegian pearl vs jewel?

Between princess, celebrity, and norwegian who has the best food?

Who has the best specialty food?

Which ship do you feel gives the most bang for buck?

Since it doesn't open for fresh air, are ocean view rooms worth the additional fees?

Norwegian princess and celebrity, which do you think is best for ages 30-55?

Is getting help with a problem really easier if you book through the cruise line directly as opposed to a travel vendor like costco?

General cruise question,

If you pay an up charge to go to the steak house, and you want more food how is that handled? Like I really like the appetizer which is just say a shrimp cocktail, how can I buy more of just those? I realize extra entrees mean paying the cover again, but what if I want an extra baked potato?

I've seen some really great people on here, but some mean ones too. If my question annoy you or you feel aren't specific enough, please just ignore. Ty

We have only cruised Alaska with Princess so I can't answer your comparison questions. As far as a portal room versus inside room without portal, I would have to say it depends on your level of comfort in closed spaces. I would be very claustrophobic without being able to at least see out, but only you can say how you would feel about it. Personally, I think that a balcony to Alaska is worth every penny. We love to sit on our balcony and watch the beautiful scenery go by.

If at all possible, get an itinerary with Glacier Bay. It is not to be missed. Whatever you choose, you will love Alaska. We have done the inside passage on the state ferry and will be taking our third cruise to Alaska in September. It is beautiful and a very relaxing cruise. Enjoy!

I can address your food question in regards to Princess only. You can order extras in the specialty restraints and they won't make you pay extra. Once in the Crown Grill I was able to order both the Lobster dinner and the steak dinner (was NOT surf and turf). Our last visit in March I have two appetizers. FYI that goes for the dining rooms as well, they'll pretty much let you order whatever you want including multiple entree's.

Personally, I wouldn't consider cruising Alaska without a balcony but many do so I guess that's just us.

My husband and I have cruised in an interior, oceanview, and balcony now. If you can spring for the balcony, I agree with those above who said go for it! Alaska is so pretty and the decks can get crowded during the glacier viewing.

However, I would not pay the extra money for an oceanview. An interior is nearly identical, and you can go on deck to get fresh air and see the view. The window was not worth the extra money in my eyes.

Good luck in your planning!