Magic or Fantasy?

mizzoufinal4

7 night Western Magic in January or 7 night Eastern Fantasy in January. Which one would you pick? AND WHY? Having trouble deciding any opinions woujld be appreciated! Assume that the cost is the same or very close (which it is)

You tell us nothing about who will be cruising or anything, which might make a difference.

Let me start by saying that I have been on both ships, most recently the "reimagined" Magic.

We prefer the Magic. It is smaller and somehow seems "friendlier." The extended dry dock took care of the spiffing up--some of which I like a lot; some I don't care for. But that's personal taste. Frankly, in some places I think they tried to make it too much like the Fantasy. We also know many of the crew on the Magic although they now tend to move around the crew. We've been told that often when they leave for vacation they know that they will have a contract to come back but don't know which ship they will return to!

In terms of ports--mixed bag. In general I like the Eastern ports better, but Grand Cayman is my favorite of the "standard" ports. It is a tender port which makes it the most likely to be missed for bad weather (and we've had that happen several times).

Shows--again, Magic wins in my book Twice Charmed is great. The shows on the Fantasy came across as "we need to write a new show for our new ship" rather than writing a really good show.

The Magic 2.0 includes MANY upgrades in the kid area including Marvel Academy (which you won't have on any other ship.) True, the Fantasy is more high tech, which might appeal to a tween/teen.

Given the choices you pose, I'd take the Magic. However, you'll hear exactly the opposite if you keep looking!

7 night Western Magic in January or 7 night Eastern Fantasy in January. Which one would you pick? AND WHY? Having trouble deciding any opinions woujld be appreciated! Assume that the cost is the same or very close (which it is)

I babe been on the Magic ( and back on in three weeks) and the Fantasy and been both Eastern and Western, both are very good, both a great cruise.

I would err towards the fantasy as a newer ship, better shows IMHO, and more to do, Magic is older it had a refurbishment, but is still older, now depends what you personally want.

Smaller ship/ less cruisers, - Magic.

Larger ship more facilities Aquaduck ride Fantasy.

Sun, sunbathing, three sea days, with a bit of shopping- Eastern.

More sightseeing, historic places to see Western.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that we would need more info about the OP to recommend what might be best for them.

In this case, I'd rather pick the itinerary rather than the ship. We find the ships (classic and new) to be equally enchanting. After a bunch of Eastern and Western cruises we find we prefer the Eastern ports, and the extra sea day.

We are me (DH-40), DW 41, DD 6, and DD4. And we went on Disney Fantasy last january and absolutly LOVED it! Thats the problem of not being able to decide, do we do it again with basically the same stops or try the Magic and possibly be disappointed after an awsome Fantasy cruise last year. Whichever one we book we will book a deluxe family oceanview stateroom with verandah.

I have never been on the Fantasy, but we did do two identical cruises and loved both equally. Our first cruise was on the Wonder to the Mexican Riviera and we had such a great time that we booked the same week the following year. For us, and YMMV, we did different excursions but still had an equally wonderful time.

Were I you, I'd do the Fantasy. (I should mention that I've not had any great desire to go on the new boats. But just based on the fact that you loved it so much last time.)

We are me (DH-40), DW 41, DD 6, and DD4. And we went on Disney Fantasy last january and absolutly LOVED it! Thats the problem of not being able to decide, do we do it again with basically the same stops or try the Magic and possibly be disappointed after an awsome Fantasy cruise last year. Whichever one we book we will book a deluxe family oceanview stateroom with verandah.

Each ship is different, as is each cruise...and lots can make or break one. That said, I wouldn't worry about the choice of ship making it a "less awesome" vacation. Your kids are not of an age where the lack of a teen spa or the high tech will make a difference (although they might miss the midship detective agency.) If you had a verandah last time, they didn't have the magic porthole, so they won't experience that as a difference.

Stingray City at Grand Cayman is totally amazing, as is the turtle farm. Both are very kid friendly and can be combined in an excursion privately. I'm not sure if DCL has one that hits both. I'd probably choose whichever ports I hadn't done before.

The kid areas on the Magic are totally amazing! Yes, I'll always like the "original," but the revision is wonderful too!

We had to make this very decision for next January- are you going over MLK week by any chance? That's our travel week. One thing- with that cabin size you are under the pool deck. That is a disadvantage for me but overall I picked the magic because of the itinerary. I decided to go with a cabin under the beginning of the cabanas equivalent in the Magic. But something to consider. The issue is in theory you will hear scraping sounds from the chairs on the pool deck above...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yep that is the week! DD6 will be in first grade and she has 17th and 18th off school so if we go on the Magic she will only miss 3 days of school. If we go on the Fantasy she will miss 4 dues to leaving on friday to get ehrere the day b4

We've done that week and also the week of the President's Day holiday. The ship was very full of kids, especially older kids. President's "week" was worst as many private schools take that whole week off.

I would expect the ship to start to fill as soon as the new school year starts and parents are able to figure out where they'll stand with teachers and administrators.

We're also going that same week but on Fantasy. We have been on Magic and adored her, but thought it would be nice to try a new ship. Will be excited to see which we prefer. Just hoping for warm weather, I know the rest will be perfect because of Disney service. Enjoy your cruise :D