bad taste in my mouth

nurse la

My brother and his wife were booked as a couple. Then the wife couldn't go, but my brother would still go as planned. HAL wanted to charge him MORE because it was considered a cancellation and a rebook! My brother thought he and his wife shouldn't have said anything but just have her not show up! He complained bitterly and wrote to a higher up that he would never use HAL again. Well, they relented, and even gave him an upgrade from an interior to a balcony room, at his original price, to mollify him. He then liked his solo cruise. But he still says he doesn't want to use HAL again.

My brother and his wife were booked as a couple. Then the wife couldn't go, but my brother would still go as planned. HAL wanted to charge him MORE because it was considered a cancellation and a rebook! My brother thought he and his wife shouldn't have said anything but just have her not show up! He complained bitterly and wrote to a higher up that he would never use HAL again. Well, they relented, and even gave him an upgrade from an interior to a balcony room, at his original price, to mollify him. He then liked his solo cruise. But he still says he doesn't want to use HAL again.

A bit OT: Unfortunately, it seems many lines do this. There was one person on the NCL boards, I believe, who was charged 250% for cancelling one person from a two-person booking.

Most cruise lines definitely discourage solo travelers with hefty single supplements. Yet Carnival, HAL's parent, is offering many cruises this season with 0% single supplement. Go figure.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Most cruise lines definitely discourage solo travelers with hefty single supplements. Yet Carnival, HAL's parent, is offering many cruises this season with 0% single supplement. Go figure.

Carnival Corporation is not the same as Carnival Cruise Line. Carnival Cruise Line is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp. just as HAL, Princess, Cunard etc are.

So it seems that there are differences within Carnival Corp.

Edited by Boytjie

My brother and his wife were booked as a couple. Then the wife couldn't go, but my brother would still go as planned. HAL wanted to charge him MORE because it was considered a cancellation and a rebook!

It's more likely your brother was being charged a single supplement, rather than a cancelation. This is customary when one party in a cabin of two cancels out.

It's not normally a "rebook", though.

So, HAL relented on the charge, PLUS gave him a really nice upgrade, and they still didn't get a repeat customer out of the deal.

If their generosity doesn't do them any good, there was no reason to waive the extra charges.

That is exactly what I was saying--once the damage is done not only that customer is lost but perhaps other potential customers that he/she talks to. It's a matter of too late to change a first impression. In this case the "facts" don't matter, the bad taste is there and HAL could make this into a teaching situation for it's employees.

That is exactly what I was saying--once the damage is done not only that customer is lost but perhaps other potential customers that he/she talks to. It's a matter of too late to change a first impression.

The other side of that coin is that making exceptions to the rule causes very hard feelings among those who don't have an exception made for them once the word gets out. And the word always gets out.

I spent my career applying rules and regulations, I believe fairly. Had I made exceptions whenever I felt the person had a good reason, or that there were extenuating circumstances, I would have had no credibility with any decision made, not to mention a riot on my hands from the rest of my clients!

And that one person would take his business elsewhere because he felt he was treated unfairly. I had a student attend my final exam IN LABOR because I had stated in the beginning of class there would be no excuses for missing the final (after talking to her husband waiting in the hall yes she was excused and yes she still earned her A).

There are always exceptions in business and in life, it is a part of being human--in this case it doesn't matter, damage is done.