Rain, rain, and more rain?

richard1s

Ok...first of all, the Southeast portion of Alaska is a Boreal Rain Forest. Boreal means of the Northern Regions. Note the key word in that description is RAIN....

Second, rain comes and goes in Alaska. Plan for rain and be happy if it is not.

Finally, many years ago, I say a button celebrating the Juneau Rain Festival. The dates of this festival were listed as Jan 1 to Dec 31.....

Kind of tells you what to expect....

We leave in less than a week (Whoo Hoo!) for our first Alaska cruise. The long range forecast is for 60-90% chance of rain. I have waterproof hiking shoes, rain jackets, rain pants, hats, gloves, fleece and most importantly a sense of excitement and wonder! Nothing will "dampen" our enthusiasm. After all we come from the Northern Willamette Valley, sun is more likely to throw us to than rain!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rain doesn't bother me, but it would if I had a fabulous excursion planned that was going to be canceled because of it. If it rains so much there, why would companies create excursions that had a great likelihood of being canceled? I don't think guys should be dissing on the people worried about that.

Rain doesn't bother me, but it would if I had a fabulous excursion planned that was going to be canceled because of it. If it rains so much there, why would companies create excursions that had a great likelihood of being canceled? I don't think guys should be dissing on the people worried about that.

Very, very few excursions are canceled because of rain. Flightseeing trips on float planes or helicopter tours are the most weather dependent. And they usually only cancel if visibility is below what the FAA says is safe. High winds would be the only other thing that might cancel an excurision such as kayaking or a few of the zipline course.

The tour compaines I previously worked for never canceled a tour because of rain. We had raincoats on hand for those that didn't bring there own.

LOL - the usual snide remarks just for posting something intended to be good natured. But for the record:

1. Yes, everyone knows people don't melt if they are exposed to rain. But is it really so hard to comprehend that when people pay $10,000 for a vacation to anywhere, does hoping for nice weather really seem that odd?

2. How many people really know that Alaska has a rain forest; I didn't nor did I ever have a reason to know that.

3. When posting anything online, always expect condescending responses. Someone always has to show you how smart they are compared to you.

4. Finally, if I were involved in the tourist industry anywhere, I would try to be informative and helpful to first time visitors, instead of sarcastic and pointing out how naïve and ignorant they are; they are pumping money into your economy. I guess all those clouds and rain makes you cranky over time.

Just got back from Vancouver for 4 days then cruise then 3 days in Anchorage. All totaled there were 2 days of actual rain A few days were misty at times. Half of the days were cloudy. The rest were beautiful. And I agree with all previous posters that the morning may mean one thing and a few hours later it's totally different. We brought the waterproof shoes, jacket, and pants and were comfortable the whole time. I am from FL and with weather in the 50's I wore lightweight long underwear most of the time under Columbia or Mtn Hardware hiking pants and was perfectly dry and fine. Hope your cruise is great.

LOL - the usual snide remarks just for posting something intended to be good natured. But for the record:

1. Yes, everyone knows people don't melt if they are exposed to rain. But is it really so hard to comprehend that when people pay $10,000 for a vacation to anywhere, does hoping for nice weather really seem that odd?

2. How many people really know that Alaska has a rain forest; I didn't nor did I ever have a reason to know that.

3. When posting anything online, always expect condescending responses. Someone always has to show you how smart they are compared to you.

4. Finally, if I were involved in the tourist industry anywhere, I would try to be informative and helpful to first time visitors, instead of sarcastic and pointing out how naïve and ignorant they are; they are pumping money into your economy. I guess all those clouds and rain makes you cranky over time.

Thank you for this! You said everything I wanted to say especially the part about people dropping 10 grand and then wanting to know what the weather might be like.

We leave in less than a week (Whoo Hoo!) for our first Alaska cruise. The long range forecast is for 60-90% chance of rain. I have waterproof hiking shoes, rain jackets, rain pants, hats, gloves, fleece and most importantly a sense of excitement and wonder! Nothing will "dampen" our enthusiasm. After all we come from the Northern Willamette Valley, sun is more likely to throw us to than rain!

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

Now that I convinced myself not to look at the forecast you give me the news!

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

Now that I convinced myself not to look at the forecast you give me the news!

Sorry. I am a bit obsessive and I should know better than to look at long range forecasts...living in Oregon my whole life should have taught me better! The thing is the weather is what it will be, we will do our best to be prepared and roll with it as nature deals the hand.

QUOTE=esmo;43310972][quote name=lasnev;43308428

Sorry. I am a bit obsessive and I should know better than to look at long range forecasts...living in Oregon my whole life should have taught me better! The thing is the weather is what it will be' date=' we will do our best to be prepared and roll with it as nature deals the hand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote]

That's OK! Still tremendously exited, plus there is that 40 to 10 percent chance of it being sunny!:)

Esmo has it right! Adventurous, passionate attitude combined with appropriate attire and then WEATHER BE DAMNED, BRING IT ON!

On our first Alaskan trip it rained every day, just about all day! Our second trip, last year, it was in the 80s/90s and no rain. Both trips were incredible and I really can't pick one over the other.

Being English I am of course naturally obsessed by the weather , as we only have to have a shower here and we all think thats the end of summer ! But ive almost given up with the forecasts here , luckily its been when they have forecasted rain and it hasnt happened , rather then forecast sun and its rained , that would be :eek:

Bearing in mind I live further south then Alaska ( and the UK is warmed by gulf stream ) I wasnt expecting sunbathing weather , and tbh was rather surprised that it could be warmer then i thought ..........Id rather it didnt pour down with rain tho , But as its costing me a shed load of money I am going to enjoy it come what may:D