When to go???

tjcletsgo

Hi, all. I'm planning a Princess Western Caribbean cruise to Roatan for Jan 6, 2007. This time of the year will there be:

Lobster?

Sea Lice?

Rain?

Rough surf?

Sand fleas?

Thanks for any and all info.......I'm so excited!

Janie

Janie,

We just got back from a scuba diving trip in Roatan. Stayed at CocoView Resort. The diving is wonderful. However, expect rain (there is a reason it is so green there), and expect sand fleas and mosquitos. Eat the lobster as it is delicious. Should not be rough surf (that is one of the reasons the area makes for great diving).

Lobster is available year round.

Sea Lice not usually a problem in January - more typical in April/May/June, as the water warms.

Rain is certainly a possibility, that's the tail end of the typical rainy season.

Rough surf, depends on where you go & the weather conditions. Usually the south side of the island has a bit more wave action (though still nothing that most would consider overly rough); winter sometimes brings "northers" - storms from the morth that can make things pretty bumpy on the north shore.

Sand fleas are a problem year round, though rain does tend to knock them down a bit (but when the rain stops they come out HUNGRY).

Thanks so much for your input! We cruised to the Sea of Cortez last November, and all water excursions were cancelled in all ports due to the wind and choppy seas. We had private snorkle excursions scheduled in all ports so it was a MAJOR disappointment. I really want to plan this as best I can.......don't want to go through that again if possible (note the IF LOL!).

Can you think of any reason January would not be a good time? It sure is an inexpensive cruise!

Thanks again!

Janie

We did a Western Caribbean trip in January, 2004, and have friends who go about the third week in January every year. The weather in Roatan wasn't great when we were there. No rain, but cool and overcast and windy. We went to Tabyana Beach and the glass-bottom boat tour we had planned on was cancelled. They let people snorkel, but it wasn't very good conditions, and they ended up refunding the additional charges for the snorkel part of the excursion -- just charged them for the beach party.

Our friends who cruise every year during January, however, say that is the first time they've ever had any trouble. They normally prefer that time of year to the heat later on in the spring/summer. We didn't have any trouble at all with either sea lice or sand fleas.

January is a good month. It's cooler here and mostly beautiful, however you may be susceptible (sp?) to weather. During this time we can expect rain and/or turned up seas due to fronts that come in. Look at wunderground.com or weather.com a day beforehand if possible to see how weather may be effecting the island.

Happy travels,

Island Dweller

• 1 month later...

Just follow the same advice for November as my post for January. Our rainy season is from October until the end of February. This doesn't mean it rains all day everyday, it just means that we're more susceptible for inclement weather. Also it is the time of year where we can have those fronts I wrote about too. The West and North of the island normally have flat, azul seas, but if there's a front, that water whips up fast, making certain water excursions unfeasible as it's not safe or comfortable. Cancellations by anyone are because of these two things, not because they had too much fun the night before!;) Business is business.

I hope the weather smiles for you when you visit in November.

Island Dweller

Archived