wheelchair excursions

Bad sunburn

There are 6 of us going on the triumph in December. One of us is in a wheelchair and our only stop is cozumel. Heres my question. There are those of us who definitely want to hit the beach and do some snorkeling but, of course, the one guy in the wheelchair, well, that isn't an option. And there is NO way Im gonna ditch on one of my best buddies and his wife just to hit the beach. I wouldn't dream of leaving them behind, (two of the greatest people you'd ever meet). Has anyone ever done some of the excursions on the beach and noticed if it was wheelchair accessible? Is there any that he could chill under an umbrella and eat and drink while we swim a bit? This guy is super cool and happy no matter where he winds up, and I know there are those that say "just do your own thing", but we really wanna spend some quality time with this couple away from the real world!!

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/

Great place, some ramps and beach access. Give them a call and find out the details.

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

This also is a great option, they have expanded and refurbished much since Hurricane Wilma. Lot's of smooth sidewalks and paths.

Edited by BallFour4

I don't think a beachy beach would work. Even if you get the wheelchair down near the beach, what happens if he has to use the restroom?

I have thought on this a while and I think the two best options would be, do the stingray tour. Observers are welcome and free. to sit in the shade in the patio area. After the sting ray eperience, you can go to the snorkle area and there are lots of fish and rays to see because they are netted in to the area.

My second suggestion would buy a day pass at I think the name is el cid. You friend could sit on the patio but still be right in the action area.

Both places there would be no need to go in the sand. The snorkling at el cid is some of the best I have seen in Cozumel.

Both places would have easy bathroom access.

Chankaanab park may be an option, but it it probably not easy. If is a fairly long walk thru sand from the front gate. I did see some beach wheelchairs there before, so if your friend could transfer to one of those it may be possible.

Cozumel is not wheelchair friendly.

I am positive of this as I just came back from a week down there last month. There is sand or steps to deal with almost every place I went.

The other problem i found is that some excursions may be handicap friendly. Finding handicap friendly transportation to the excursion is hard to do. With my mother we usually stay in the pier area. She likes to go in the different shops anyway. So we just stay in the cruise area then head back to the ship.

There are 6 of us going on the triumph in December. One of us is in a wheelchair and our only stop is cozumel. Heres my question. There are those of us who definitely want to hit the beach and do some snorkeling but, of course, the one guy in the wheelchair, well, that isn't an option. And there is NO way Im gonna ditch on one of my best buddies and his wife just to hit the beach. I wouldn't dream of leaving them behind, (two of the greatest people you'd ever meet). Has anyone ever done some of the excursions on the beach and noticed if it was wheelchair accessible? Is there any that he could chill under an umbrella and eat and drink while we swim a bit? This guy is super cool and happy no matter where he winds up, and I know there are those that say "just do your own thing", but we really wanna spend some quality time with this couple away from the real world!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

You didn't say how limited your friends' mobility is.

There are nice beach clubs where you can have the beach for those who wish but also pool, food, music , drinks etc.

you can ask at the Cozumel port of call section...you can get to them by taxi. The taxi drivers will tell you which area would be good as well.

I have been with my wife, but she is only limited in her mobility...so once we get to the sand I just carry her chair to where we will get comfy.

Edited by Nic6318