Help with San Juan

patfred

Wife and I will be sailing on the jewel in Dec. thought that we would just walk around old San Juan. Could someone tell me when you get off the ship how close are you to Old San Juan and do you need to take a cab to get to old San Juan. Thanks

There are 2 piers, but if you embark where we did the last 2 cruises you will be a little ways from the town center. Depending on how much you like to walk you can do old town from the pier, but you may want to take a taxi, jut to save time. I know this doesn't really answer your question but I don't know how else to put it. The old pier is right at the base of the square, new one not so. NMNita

Wife and I will be sailing on the jewel in Dec. thought that we would just walk around old San Juan. Could someone tell me when you get off the ship how close are you to Old San Juan and do you need to take a cab to get to old San Juan. Thanks

We were just in Old San Juan in May of this year and loved walking around the beautiful town. I'll share a tip I discovered before we went. You can catch a free trolley near the port. Just look for the trolley signs on the street corners or ask one of the friendly residents.

Our ship arrived very early so we took the trolley to the top of the hill in Old San Juan and had a wonderful time visiting Fort El Morro. Since most of the shops open around 10 AM, it was fun to stroll around the cobblestone streets taking all the architecture, fountains and cultural sites before the crowds arrived. This was also a great time to take lots of pictures and decide which shops we wanted to visit since our time was very limited at this port. Taking the free trolley saves your energy for the shopping and the walk back to the dock is all down hill!

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy Old San Juan!

Mom and I took a city tour shore/ex that ended at the fort. We walked around the fort and then headed down the street. We went in several out of the way shops. Mom got tired before I did. She got on the trolley and I stayed and shopped and walked back to the ship. I'd love to go back again.

Have a wonderful time. The city tour wasn't that interesting. I suggest doing Old Town on your own.

Archived