Women In Shorts MDR - Casual Night

how many people complaining on here actually notice people in shorts walk in? and once they sit down to eat, do you ever see them? and if you do happen to watch someone walk in, how does it affect your dinner? your conversations? or do you just want to complain on here

I personally think those who do see what others are wearing have little else going on in their conversations. I think, and hope, its just on here.

So I've noticed.

I really have only asked you what your opinion is on this particular topic (because you made a statement that was off topic). Nothing more.

If you're offended by me simply asking you for your opinion, than I don't know what to tell you, honestly.

I really hate it when people come to my table, on my holiday, to take up my time taking pictures.

I'm not against nice pics, I just don't want it while I eat. Or at any other time that I don't suggest.

Short dresses, short shorts. Equally as short.

I think the key here is to just say no thank you and they move on. It works for us. Sometimes we take a picture but when we say No Thank You...they actually move on. It's not like they force you to take one.

Although it looks like you are getting personally attacked :rolleyes:

It's quite alright. This is a message board. This is not my family or colleagues. Although I have met many nice people in real life due to participating on here and for that I am thankful.

Communication on this forum works best when people stay on topic and refrain from insulting language, but I have no control over others. If anyone is offended by a request to stay on topic there is nothing I can do to change how they feel.

I have written to RCI on this very topic. My initial response from them has been quite favorable. I am glad that I corresponded about this topic. I will not share the correspondence I have because I find too much negative energy a bad thing.

I think the key here is to just say no thank you and they move on. It works for us. Sometimes we take a picture but when we say No Thank You...they actually move on. It's not like they force you to take one.

I still find it rude.

you realize the topic of shorts in the dining room is the focus..if photographers at dinner bother you, thats another thread

Apologies... didn't realize the topic in a 10 page thread wasn't allowed to naturally evolve as the discussion progressed. By all means, keep carrying that flag to keep everyone on topic!

My daughter and I enjoy getting dressed up for dinner and doing the formal night. Evenings we want to stay casual we go to the Windjammer. We sit at a table for 2 so I does not really matter to us what others do. We do our thing and live and let live. We just think it is part of the fun of cruising. We do second seating so it does give us time to relax and get dressed up. I would think that sometimes with early dinner and when the ship leaves port might be a time constraint.

I agree...it depends too on the cruise. I believe dress is more casual in the Caribbean and in the summer. Especially if there are a lot of younger families due to school being out, that might be a more casual crowd. I have never worn shorts to MDR but I have worn capri's...but with a nice top and jewelry - girls can dress it up. old shorts and tshirts - NO! my dh has worn shorts with a silk button down type shirt - but we live in Phoenix and he's used to wearing shorts and sandals for months. he's way too hot for pants! so I say...if a gal looks nice and dressed up even in shorts - let ds do it!

So if I'm comfortable in dressy shorts, I should be allowed to wear them (no matter the rules) because what I wear shouldn't affect other people's dining experience, they should just ignore what I'm wearing and concentrate on themselves, that's the gist of this (and all these) conversations, correct?

Well, I'm a naturalist. I'm most comfortable without my shirt on. So why should I have to wear a shirt in the dining room just to make someone else comfortable? Why can't they just ignore what I'm not wearing, the same as they should ignore what I am? If me not wearing a shirt is bothering them, isn't that their problem? I mean, I'll certainly wear shorts - I wouldn't go fully nude in the MDR, but why should I wear a top? I can wear pretty jewelry to "dress things up".

So if I'm comfortable in dressy shorts, I should be allowed to wear them (no matter the rules) because what I wear shouldn't affect other people's dining experience, they should just ignore what I'm wearing and concentrate on themselves, that's the gist of this (and all these) conversations, correct?

Well, I'm a naturalist. I'm most comfortable without my shirt on. So why should I have to wear a shirt in the dining room just to make someone else comfortable? Why can't they just ignore what I'm not wearing, the same as they should ignore what I am? If me not wearing a shirt is bothering them, isn't that their problem? I mean, I'll certainly wear shorts - I wouldn't go fully nude in the MDR, but why should I wear a top? I can wear pretty jewelry to "dress things up".

I'm not clear on what being a naturalist has to do with being shirtless or nude.

Perhaps you meant naturist? Although if you don't know the difference, I doubt that you're either, and that you are just trolling to stir the pot.

[quote name='Jobeth66']So if I'm comfortable in dressy shorts, I should be allowed to wear them (no matter the rules) because what I wear shouldn't affect other people's dining experience, they should just ignore what I'm wearing and concentrate on themselves, that's the gist of this (and all these) conversations, correct?

Well, I'm a naturalist. I'm most comfortable without my shirt on. So why should I have to wear a shirt in the dining room just to make someone else comfortable? Why can't they just ignore what I'm not wearing, the same as they should ignore what I am? If me not wearing a shirt is bothering them, isn't that their problem? I mean, I'll certainly wear shorts - I wouldn't go fully nude in the MDR, but why should I wear a top? I can wear pretty jewelry to "dress things up".[/QUOTE]

Whatever floats your boat :)

[quote name='Sitzmark']I'm not clear on what being a naturalist has to do with being shirtless or nude.

Perhaps you meant naturist? Although if you don't know the difference, I doubt that you're either, and that you are just trolling to stir the pot.[/QUOTE]

Lol. :D

[quote name='Sitzmark']I'm not clear on what being a naturalist has to do with being shirtless or nude.

Perhaps you meant naturist? Although if you don't know the difference, I doubt that you're either, and that you are just trolling to stir the pot.[/QUOTE]

Nope, you're correct, I meant naturist, not naturalist. And if you check my "upcoming cruises" in my sig, you'll see that I'm booked on the 2/6/16 Celebrity Constellation charter by Bare Necessities Cruises - so I'm not trolling at all. In fact, just spent the holiday at a wonderful naturist campground called Solair in Woodstock CT.

It's a serious question. If wearing shorts is perfectly fine despite the rules because what I wear shouldn't affect anyone else's dining, and anyone who is offended by my attire has a problem - then why shouldn't the same apply to anyone who is offended by my LACK of attire? Whether it's in the dining room or on the pool deck?

What's appropriate on my charter cruise is not appropriate on my textile cruise. What's appropriate on the textile cruise is not shorts in the MDR. I just don't see why it's so difficult to put on a pair of pants or a skirt for an hour or two, or find an alternate place to dine (most ships have plenty!) Edited by Jobeth66

[quote name='Jobeth66']Nope, you're correct, I meant naturist, not naturalist. And if you check my "upcoming cruises" in my sig, you'll see that I'm booked on the 2/6/16 Celebrity Constellation charter by Bare Necessities Cruises - so I'm not trolling at all. In fact, just spent the holiday at a wonderful naturist campground called Solair in Woodstock CT.

It's a serious question. If wearing shorts is perfectly fine despite the rules because what I wear shouldn't affect anyone else's dining, and anyone who is offended by my attire has a problem - then why shouldn't the same apply to anyone who is offended by my LACK of attire? Whether it's in the dining room or on the pool deck?

What's appropriate on my charter cruise is not appropriate on my textile cruise. What's appropriate on the textile cruise is not shorts in the MDR. I just don't see why it's so difficult to put on a pair of pants or a skirt for an hour or two, or find an alternate place to dine (most ships have plenty!)[/QUOTE]

Because that directly affects someone else. Wearing shorts doesn't offend anyone. Being naked offends someone.

Also, for sanitary reasons. Edited by KMVigs

[quote name='Jobeth66']Nope, you're correct, I meant naturist, not naturalist. And if you check my "upcoming cruises" in my sig, you'll see that I'm booked on the 2/6/16 Celebrity Constellation charter by Bare Necessities Cruises - so I'm not trolling at all. In fact, just spent the holiday at a wonderful naturist campground called Solair in Woodstock CT.

What's appropriate on my charter cruise is not appropriate on my textile cruise. What's appropriate on the textile cruise is not shorts in the MDR. I just don't see why it's so difficult to put on a pair of pants or a skirt for an hour or two, or find an alternate place to dine (most ships have plenty!)[/QUOTE]

Seriously you should be able to wear as little or as much as you want. I'm sure you don't look any worse than some of the folk who think they are dressed up with three foot of make up on and perfume to choke.

[quote name='LMaxwell']

I have written to RCI on this very topic. My initial response from them has been quite favorable. I am glad that I corresponded about this topic. I will not share the correspondence I have because I find too much negative energy a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

As someone who supports your idea that the rule regarding shorts should be changed, I would be interested in seeing RCL's response to your letter. Edited by comxkid