Elation Potentially Getting Replaced Out of NOLA

This newspaper article talks a lot about the port's relationship with Carnival and a new contract that was going to be discussed on last Thursday's port board meeting. The article is very interesting and worth reading, especially if you care about cruising from NOLA.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2014/06/25/port-close-to-5-year-extension-with-carnival-cruise-lines/

Here is the part about the Elation:The new Carnival contract, which could be altered in the next week, would allow Carnival to increase its presence in New Orleans, LaGrange said.

Robert Jumonville, director of cruise operations at the port, is in discussions with Carnival to replace the Elation with the Freedom, which carries about 800 more passengers, he said during Monday’s committee meeting.

The port is also in talks with the company to add a third ship.

“We’ve been driving Carnival really hard to bring in a third ship,” LaGrange said.

Here is what I am wondering now:

- Will the Elation get replaced?

- Why the Freedom? It is getting repositioned to Galveston as their third ship?

Edited by thecruiserofships

This newspaper article talks a lot about the port's relationship with Carnival and a new contract that was going to be discussed on last Thursday's port board meeting. The article is very interesting and worth reading, especially if you care about cruising from NOLA.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2014/06/25/port-close-to-5-year-extension-with-carnival-cruise-lines/

Here is the part about the Elation:The new Carnival contract, which could be altered in the next week, would allow Carnival to increase its presence in New Orleans, LaGrange said.

Robert Jumonville, director of cruise operations at the port, is in discussions with Carnival to replace the Elation with the Freedom, which carries about 800 more passengers, he said during Monday’s committee meeting.

The port is also in talks with the company to add a third ship.

“We’ve been driving Carnival really hard to bring in a third ship,” LaGrange said.

Here is what I am wondering now:

- Will the Elation get replaced?

- Why the Freedom? It is getting repositioned to Galveston as their third ship?

I don't see it being Freedom since she is heading to Galveston next year.

So if it does get replaced what happens to people that have a trip already booked on the Elation? We have one planned for April 2015. Do we just get switched to the new ship in a similar room. Or do they just cancel us? Would our fair stay the same and the interary :confused

Edited by Cricket551

So if it does get replaced what happens to people that have a trip already booked on the Elation? We have one planned for April 2015. Do we just get switched to the new ship in a similar room. Or do they just cancel us? Would our fair stay the same and the interary :confused

This happened on our cruise we had booked for the Conquest for March of next year. They just switched us to what they considered a comparable cabin and our rate didn't change. However, I was not happy as I wanted the Conquest not the Splendor ship. So I canceled (with no penalty). We had only paid deposits at that point.

They supposedly sent out an email explaining all of this but I had never received it. I contacted CCL as soon as I noticed my cabin had changed and my ship had changed in my cruise manager. They verified that in fact they did not send me an email, even though they had all of my email addresses (work & home) and my cell & home # as well. They were very nice and apologetic about it however. I actually received a $50 OBC for my troubles....btw, I did not request at all. I was just upset that my ship was changed and I had zero notification. They realized their mistake and IMO "fixed" it more than I had expected. The $50 OBC was added to my already booked cruise for the November. So kudos to CCL customer service for making it more than right! IMO anyways! :D

Love Elation, especially since the ship will be having a dry dock and likely new features added in a couple of months or so. Yes, Freedom is doing a reposition to Galveston, but could easily be switched to New Orleans. Magic is scheduled for a lengthy dry dock next year which could be reduced or eliminated. In any event, once Magic complete dry dock, Freedom might be available to move after that. It doesn't look like there will be a third ship in New Orleans for some time. They might do better to lure Princess or HAL. HAL did use to cruise from the city.

For now, based on the article, we need to remember that nothing is finalized or changed. There were a lot of interesting comments made by port officials and I really wonder why the particular port official used the Carnival Freedom as what they are wanting instead of just saying a larger ship. Since port schedules are worked out long in advance could this mean something?

This could simply mean that after April 2015 a new ship would come and the Elation would leave. Or maybe the Elation will stay longer and get changed out later in the year.

This contract deal could also fall through and nothing will come of this. I am waiting for the June 2014 board minutes from the Port of New Orleans website to come out to see what the board approved or did not approve.

I'm ready for more news and 2016-2017 itineraries to get released! However, Carnival is pretty slow about releasing itineraries and it probably won't be until next Spring before they come out.

Edited by thecruiserofships

I am still believe that a major renovations are coming to the Elation. She and the paradise are the only two fantasy class ships not to recieve evoulutions of fun and stateroom uogrades. (Just think big corner box). These two ships were also the only two fantasy class the was on the orginal list to recieve 2.0 upgrades. So if they upgrade her i could see her as a viable option for Galveston to be swapped with the freedom.

Wondering if they will add a third ship when the Poland terminal gets built.

I thought the Poland Terminals would allow Carnival to basically have the Erato and Julia terminals.

I thought Disney or Princess was the goal of the Poland terminals.

I thought the Poland Terminals would allow Carnival to basically have the Erato and Julia terminals.

I thought Disney or Princess was the goal of the Poland terminals.

Maybe true. Guess until then, carnival at Erato and all other lines at Julia.

Higher fares don't tell the whole story. Tax breaks and other incentives can more than offset. .

granted. but i'd think they also wouldn't publicize and open bookings for that third ship to galveston, to just move it to N.O. within the course of a few months without compelling reasons, which are not currently apparent.

galveston is a stronger market than N.O., so much so they put magic there initially, and replaced the fantasy class Ecstasy with triumph for the short runs, and then added a third ship.

i'm just saying this isn't likely. :)

Yes Galveston is a good market but I would think that New Orleans would be as well since you can make it a vacation before the vacation and the trip down the Mississippi is said to be one of a kind. Of course I am just speculating since we do our first Nola in just under 50 days but we are looking so forward to it. since we have only cruised from Galveston.

Yes Galveston is a good market but I would think that New Orleans would be as well since you can make it a vacation before the vacation and the trip down the Mississippi is said to be one of a kind. Of course I am just speculating since we do our first Nola in just under 50 days but we are looking so forward to it. since we have only cruised from Galveston.

galveston has a higher 'drive-to' market segment, in terms of metro populations within driving distance. since they can negate the airfare, hotel and other costs, they can and do pay a premium vs. 'destination' cities / ports, N.O. included. galveston has been, for that reason, one of the highest cost / day ports to sail out of for a while. supply and demand. they've augmented supply, because the demand has been so strong (and been maintained).