Early Saver Question

sbc234

I have booked Early Saver for all of my cruises and have always used the price protection form with no problems. Tonight I noticed that the December Holiday cruises were cheaper than when I booked them so I submitted a form. I got a response immediately rejecting the price reduction so I called Carnival. I had 2 different agents tell me that they don't do price protection on the cruise fare amount but now they do it on the total amount. They raised the port fees & taxes and dropped the cruise fare. When did this change happen??

What is the point of using the Carnival FareViewer?

When I've talked with Carnival about a price drop, it is on the "total" price which also includes the port fees and taxes. Basically you are making a new booking so whatever the current fees/taxes amount is part of it. And if the taxes/fees go down and your rate stays the same, you can also get an OBC or rate drop for that too.

FareViewer is a quick way to see if the rates have fallen. I don't use it and do a mock booking to see if the total price is lower.

Steve

The fareviewer only gives you information on the cruise rate. However, even as this cruise rate has dropped - sometimes the port fees and taxes increase leaving you with a very small price drop or no drop at all.

The amount of the OBC is based on the total fare including fees & taxes, but they should still change your booking to the new lower fare. The fees & taxes are based on the number of passengers actually on the ship and are not finalized until the ship actually sails, so the fact that at one point in time they are higher does not mean the final amount will be.

This means you may not get an OBC right now, but they may give you a credit if more people book before you sail so your share of taxes & fees goes down, but only if they have the correct lower fare on your booking.

I have booked Early Saver for all of my cruises and have always used the price protection form with no problems. Tonight I noticed that the December Holiday cruises were cheaper than when I booked them so I submitted a form. I got a response immediately rejecting the price reduction so I called Carnival. I had 2 different agents tell me that they don't do price protection on the cruise fare amount but now they do it on the total amount. They raised the port fees & taxes and dropped the cruise fare. When did this change happen??

What is the point of using the Carnival FareViewer?

I don't think this is anything new. I remember a few years ago getting a smaller price adjustment because the taxes had gone up. However, if the taxes go down later, you'll see an OBC on your S & S acct.

This has been the case for the past few years. When you claim a pride adjustment they always repackage the entire cruise including taxes and fees. I don't enjoy using fareviewer because it doesn't include the taxes, I just do a mock booking instead.

The protection actually is on the fare itself, but if the difference is low, and the taxes have gone up, then they won't do it, because when you pricematch, they also change your taxes to what they are right then.

i.e. I once price matched and it was $40/pp less. Unfortunately, at that time, the taxes went up $34. I did indeed get a discount of $6/pp, but truly that wasn't even worth my time - LOL! I also once tried a $10/pp discount, but taxes had gone up $12/pp, so they didn't do it. (I would have owed them $2).