QM2 Round Trip

Gazroberts80

I would be extremely grateful if people have past experience of a Roundtrip transatlantic on QM2. I believe we will dock in Brooklyn around 7am, will we be able to disembark the ship immediately ahead of those passengers who are just booked on the westbound crossing and needing to collect luggage? Could anyone provide a rough estimate to a time we could be hopeful to have cleared customs and be able to head to Manhattan? How would people suggest travelling to Manhattan from the cruise terminal? I believe the ship is due to depart at 5pm, would arriving back at the cruise terminal about 3:30-4pm be ok in peoples past experience. I apologise for all the questions but would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our first roundtrip to Brooklyn, bit of a panic trip, first it can take a while to get thro Customs then took a while to get into Manhattan, Taxi driver asked if we would like to go thro the tunnel which we would have to pay the charges but would be quicker, on the return Taxi Drivers not to keen to drive out to Brooklyn ,traffic both ways shocking. We have done the same trip twice since but we just walk round the Streets of Brooklyn. The only safe way into New York travel by the ships tours not cheap but ship will wait if you are delayed for any reason.

:confused:

I would be extremely grateful if people have past experience of a Roundtrip transatlantic on QM2. I believe we will dock in Brooklyn around 7am, will we be able to disembark the ship immediately ahead of those passengers who are just booked on the westbound crossing and needing to collect luggage? Could anyone provide a rough estimate to a time we could be hopeful to have cleared customs and be able to head to Manhattan? How would people suggest travelling to Manhattan from the cruise terminal? I believe the ship is due to depart at 5pm, would arriving back at the cruise terminal about 3:30-4pm be ok in peoples past experience. I apologise for all the questions but would be extremely grateful for any advice.

You can be off as early as you wish once the disembarkation process has commenced. Immigration can delay you but explain that you are in transit and it sometimes helps. I always use a Brooklyn based car service called Arecibo, phone them once you are off and tell them the pick up is from Pier 12, phone +1 (718) 783-6465 or +1 (855) 428 0222. They will be there in about 10 minutes. The ride to Manhattan can take some time but you are seeing the sights as you approach. I would suggest leaving Manhattan using the same service no later than 3pm, just call them and they will pick you up from the location that you give and take you back to the ship. People say that it hazardous to travel independently in NYC in case of delays, I have never missed the ship and if you allow time neither will you. Cunard will offer a bus for $40 some per person which will take you into Manhattan at around 7.30 to 8am and drop you outside Macy's, they will then meet you later around 3.30 - 4 to take you back. That's a good service but you are tied to those times and will only get picked up at that location.

That's brilliant advice, thank you so much. Very excited for our first trip on QM2 after QV. With all your experience of QM2 that plan fills me with every confidence :)

When are you going? Sorry just seen that you go in August.

Edited by capnpugwash

That's brilliant advice, thank you so much. Very excited for our first trip on QM2 after QV. With all your experience of QM2 that plan fills me with every confidence :)

Gareth, If for some reason the roads get blocked you could get the Ikea Water Taxi from Pier 11 Wall Street, Manhattan back to Ikea Dock, 1 Beard Street, Brooklyn. NY 11231

Its about a 20min walk between the Red Hook Cruise Terminal and the Ikea Dock. They run every 20mins up to around 7pm

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/ikea

Edited by Pennbank

Hello Pennbank,

Thank you very much for the IKEA Water Taxi information - very useful. Been to NY a few times on QM2 and always got taxi into Manhatten but this saves a lot of money and the worry about getting a taxi back.

Not helpful in the slightest, just to comment your username caught my eye as (if named Gareth) we have the same Christian name, surname, were born one year apart from each other and have a shared love of the QM2!

Regards and Happy Sailing!

G x

Sent from my iPhone using Forums