Balcony Smoking on Carnival

CRUZBUDS

Well sorry Jadona that you have difficulty with the rhetoric heat. Can't blame you really in some respects, but then, with information of value comes a little discomfort come from time to time. I put up with it, and believe to clam up on some of these subjects can result in negative outcomes without having any input whatsoever (for me anyway).

Now, on the smoking front, from time to time I have posted regarding this issue. Not ever a smoker myself I put up with smoking on ship-board in certain circumstances, but I really can understand the extreme problems non-smokers have and I really understand their difficulties.

Unlike yourself, who can utter the simple statement: "smokers/non-smokers who have dug in their heels in so deep that they cannot move an inch" as if the dispute, regardless of which side of the argument, is of equal discomfort to you and then move on and quit the boards, with a sanctimonious, "have fun everyone". I have to wonder what message it is you attempt to convey to us all.

Is it: Smokers and non-smokers are equally at fault in these discussions? Therefore, both should just shut up and be happy and enjoy the cruise? In other words, non-smokers should just sit back and inhale the second hand crap the smokers send their way? To do otherwise makes life and this discussion unpleasant for you? So, in your mind, smokers keep on doing the same, non-smokers, quit your complaining?

We are so lucky we live in countries that permit free speech. We can say what we like (within certain boundaries) but no one has to listen. We can even say the same thing over and over..... even when the subject matter is smoking.

It has to be going on ten years ago I remember a nurse on this forum wrote a statement that stuck with me all these years. I have said it to a few people I knew were struggling trying to quit smoking and 'maybe ?' it helped them.

She said: "Most smokers are going to have to give it up at one point or another (likely referring to illness or living/work regulations) so may as well do it now and get it over with." Sometimes what is said here sticks!! Maybe it helps someone?

I hope Holland America bans smoking on their ships before my upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. It would make me very happy as I can't stand to be around smoke. Several years ago when Carnival's Paradise was a non-smoking ship, we sailed on her twice for that reason. :)

Cindy

• 4 weeks later...

As you all may know we are implementing a new approach for discussions of smoking policies on Holland America ships.

For information on how the new approach was originated, please see this thread: Poll: Single Smoking Thread on the HAL Board - a Sticky.

Accordingly please continue the discussion in this, now closed, thread in the new thread which you will find in this link: This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Thanks.

Edited by Host Walt