My TA says Carnival could charge me 50$ for this, but i don't think so

I'm booked early saver for a December cruise (so we are prior final payment).With the new promotion going on, i looked, and yes, the prices are lower, but instead of asking for a price reduction, i asked my TA to upgrade my interior cabin to a Deluxe Ocean view, and i only have to pay 229$ extra (total for the 3 of us!!- great deal). However, before hanging up, she said i hope they won't charge us for this. I asked her what she meant and she said Carnival imposes a 50$ fee for changes. I told her i was pretty sure that's only for date changes and stuff like that, not for a cabin upgrade. She said she will plea with them since i'm giving them more money.

Is she right about this or just confused? Could Carnival charge me a 50$ fee for upgrading cabin?

Thanks

I'm booked early saver for a December cruise (so we are prior final payment).With the new promotion going on, i looked, and yes, the prices are lower, but instead of asking for a price reduction, i asked my TA to upgrade my interior cabin to a Deluxe Ocean view, and i only have to pay 229$ extra (total for the 3 of us!!- great deal). However, before hanging up, she said i hope they won't charge us for this. I asked her what she meant and she said Carnival imposes a 50$ fee for changes. I told her i was pretty sure that's only for date changes and stuff like that, not for a cabin upgrade. She said she will plea with them since i'm giving them more money.

Is she right about this or just confused? Could Carnival charge me a 50$ fee for upgrading cabin?

Thanks

We had an early saver rate on our Dream 2012, with a Porthole, and had to change cabins to an interior when we decided to take our then 2.5 year old. They didn't charge us the $50.00 fee, but we lost our Early Saver price guarantee... so when prices dropped right before the cruise we didn't get anything.

She is confused. I have upgraded with ES from a regular balcony to a SPA balcony and only paid the difference. You can't downgrade at all, but you can upgrade.

You are also correct about changing the date. Sounds like she either doesn't know the policy or is trying to make you feel she is doing you a huge favor by "pleading" with Carnival. Stick to your guns! Enjoy!

Coming from a TA, this charge would most likely be one of two things. She could have booked your cruise through a third party company, which could be facilitating the charge, or she could be tacking on some extra commission for herself. Honestly, I can't stand the latter, this is something we do not do and do not agree with at our agency. What commission we do get is what we get, and we work for that, regardless of changes, and other things that arise throughout the booking.

Thanks

Early Saver rules state:

"Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered."

http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

As we all know from reading this board though, stranger things have happened when people request changes. I think it will depend on who answers the phone when your TA calls. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you all for your comments, but in the end, yes, i did get my upgrade at no extra 50$ fee. I'm someone who really doesn't care much about a stateroom ( i did try a balcony once and don't even care to book another one since i cruise for the ship and ports and i'm only in the room to sleep ), so that's why i almost always book an interior, but the idea of having 2 bathrooms for a Christmas cruise sounded like a nice gift to myself!!!

Both! There's no change fee to upgrade your cabin type. :rolleyes:

Completely agree. What some TAs don't understand is that with all the online information available you have to have transparency towards your clients.

What's the use of claiming to PLEAD for the waiver of a non-existant change fee?

Any agent that charges you fees for changing stuff that is NOT charged by the cruiselines you need to stay far away from.