Port day shortened on the Silhouette?

Amerie

Here is a quote from another thread that was posted by a Celebrity employee:

Hi all,

Celebrity Silhouette is currently experiencing a slight restriction on its top speed, which has required us to make modifications to nine upcoming sailings.

It is important for us to assure our guests that this small restriction on the ship’s top speed does not impact, in any way, the maneuverability of the ship or the safety of our guests and crew.

Celebrity will contact travel partners and guests should additional modifications need to be made to future itineraries. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause to our guests.

As I posted in an earlier thread, this sounds like there is a slight problem with one (or both) of the Azipods which has caused a restriction on the ship's top speed. For those familiar with the Azipod Propulsion system there is a long history of issues. Relatively minor things, such as metal filings found in the motor oil, can limit the maximum speed of these motors. In the past, cruise lines have simply slowed down their ships until the next scheduled drydock, when they can make proper repairs. The motors that drive these Azipods are actually hanging under the hull (part of the Azipod) and cannot be fully accessed until a ship is in a drydock.

Hank

FYI Celebrity Silhouette - I just received a text message and phone call from celebrity regarding our arrival in Venice on the 22nd of September instead of getting in at 10 a.m. We will not arrive until 12 noon this is provided for your information. Has anyone else receive this text or phone call?

I have posted this on the Sep 12, 2014 Roll Call, too.

I'm on this sailing too and I didn't receive any kind of notification, I only knew to check our itinerary because of this thread and lo and behold, we are delayed into Venice :)

X is real' good with that communication stuff :)

Here is a quote from another thread that was posted by a Celebrity employee:

As I posted in an earlier thread, this sounds like there is a slight problem with one (or both) of the Azipods which has caused a restriction on the ship's top speed. For those familiar with the Azipod Propulsion system there is a long history of issues. Relatively minor things, such as metal filings found in the motor oil, can limit the maximum speed of these motors. In the past, cruise lines have simply slowed down their ships until the next scheduled drydock, when they can make proper repairs. The motors that drive these Azipods are actually hanging under the hull (part of the Azipod) and cannot be fully accessed until a ship is in a drydock.

Hank

Thanks for the info.

This is an issue if it is going to impact cruises until Silhouette's dry dock. we sail her 9/14/15 and am hopeful there will not be any delays or issues. I think I will take a look at other cruise lines to see what med cruises offering there are. thanks to cruise critic we can monitor this situation over the coming months and cancel the 9/14/15 cruise if becomes more of an issue.

Thank you cruise critic for keeping us informed!! :)

We are sailing on the Holy Land Cruise on Oct. 4, 2014 and received information for changes to the itinerary... I am on here mainly to find out what if anything anyone knows about even going to Israel... Our main reason for this trip is to go there..

Are you referring to the cruise that leaves October 4th and returns October 18th in 2014?

It is noted 2015. I am on this cruise and the shortened day in Haifa is a real issue.

Absolutely a problem... We were interested in this trip because of the length of stay afforded us in Israel

What they get is their full revenue, gas savings, and a lot of ticked off pax who booked the cruise mainly because of the 3 full days in Israel. Looks for all the world like they are laying low with the info until after final payment is due. We are on the Oct 4 sailing also and are just hoping for the best.

We're on the same cruise and our main reason on taking this cruise was the long stay in Israel.. Now with all the problems over there more concerned with ship even going there, and of course if there is problems I'd rather not go.

• 3 weeks later...