Issue with TA & Early Saver claim

Has anyone had a travel agent try to withhold TA-offered on board credit when submitting a Early Saver price reduction claim?

Before booking my cruise, I submitted a quote request through the compete site. I received several offers, and went with one where the TA was offering a generous on board credit. The agency is affiliated with a web based booking company, and they sent me an email with the offer. The email clearly states teh amount of OBC, AND states that price reductions will be honored as per Carnival's terms (up to two days before sailing).

With the current sale, we would be entitled to a reduction of about $300/cabin. The TA said he would submit the claim, but that we would lose the TA OBC. He claims this was a special promotion from the company at the time (which I doubt), and just like Carnival, if they aren't offering it at the time of the price reduction, you lose it.

I think it is bogus and he doesn't want to lose the commission. I have emailed him back for now, but am wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

I understand completely that if I had received on board credit from a Carnival promotion, I would lose out on that, but I don't see it working the same way with a TA offer.

Happens all the time. Usually they don't tell you before submitting it and when you ask where your obc is on board they respond with check your contract.

I think it's a very sneaky advertising technique. Making it seem you get a great deal, but they know the price will drop

Yes, it happened to us. Booked a cruise on the Victory in January with $100 OBC from TA with the ES rate. Each time a price drop happens and TA submits a claim to Carnival the OBC from the TA is reduced by a portion of the price drop. Just had another $60 drop in cabin price and now we only have $25 left in TA OBC.

Thanks for the responses. I have now been promised that I would receive confirmation of the reduction tomorrow. I explained in my email that the written offer before booking quoted the OBC, and specifically promised price reductions. As I see it, the OBC is a term of my contract with the TA, and the price protection is a term of my contract with Carnival. I told him that I expected both to be honored, and if it was a problem that I wanted a three way call with Carnival.

It is a good thing because I was prepared to have a sudden problem with the smoking policy and take advantage of the opportunity to cancel. :D

another reason why we typically book direct with cruise line.

I understand. I have booked both ways. It has worked out well with two previous TAs, resulting in decent savings both times. In the end, if we do get what we've been promised, it will be worth it. Of course, if we don't, I'm confident American Express will have my back.;)

Yes, it happened to us. Booked a cruise on the Victory in January with $100 OBC from TA with the ES rate. Each time a price drop happens and TA submits a claim to Carnival the OBC from the TA is reduced by a portion of the price drop. Just had another $60 drop in cabin price and now we only have $25 left in TA OBC.

I guess I understand a proportionate reduction, IF and only if it is clearly stated in the terms, and not a bait and switch after the fact.