Independent Excursions-Private Tours

CruiserPK

I have read numerous recommendations for private tour operators in Lisbon and Barcelona. However, I have a question......is there any concern using these independent people in returning to the ship ontime, etc. As an anal retentive person, I figured if a cruise sponsored excursion was delayed no problem. But if you are on your own, what happens? I assume you miss the boat! Please let me hear from those who have tried these out. Thanks!

I called Radisson to ask them the question, since this will be my first cruise and I booked a lot of independent shore excurisions and I said, what if we are late, does the boat wait and they said a BIG NO WAY. If it is one of their sponsored excurision the said they wait, but if we are on our own, NO WAY ship sails without us. I'm hopeing this won't be the case and all will go well as I've allowed plenty of time to get back to the ship from what I've booked.

I have taken many independent excursions and (fingers crossed here) have never "missed the boat" However, I have heard stories where it has happened, but usually with people who just shopped too long, etc.but they were not on RSSC ships. The independent tour guides that are recommended highly on the ports boards and elsewhere are probably very careful in getting people back in plenty of time. The only time I was ever sweating it was after an all day tour from Sorrento to the Amalfi coast. That road can get jammed up when busses are meeting each other on hairpin curves, and we just made it for the last tender back to the ship. Once on the PG as we were getting ready to leave a port, I received a call in the stateroom that my daughter was not onboard. Somehow, the card swiping machine didn't register her when she reboarded. But they did not leave until she was physically accounted for.

Thanks for the information. We have debated this issue and since I am the nervous type, will go with ship sponsered excursions. Since we are traveling in Europe and we live in England, we can always go back for a weekend visit.

Archived