Formal night.

Booked the Legend for the carribean this fall. Does my husband need a tux, suit, or

sport coat? Can he get in with a shirt and tie? How about just a collared shirt?

We really want to pack light.

All of those options are just fine! Especially with airline checked baggage $$ being what it is, formal nights are understandably less dressy. I'd say if you could pack a nice light sports coat that would be your most all-encompassing best bet. Then a couple of shirts and a couple of ties should get you through any dining situation. Have fun!!!

You can dress, basically the way you want to. BUT, my best advice, is to look much better than usual. Yes, a sports coat would be nice, with designer T shirt, but truly not necessary. The sports coat is usually what I wear, on easy packing 7 day cruises, on longer cruises, well it will depend on my travel/tour arrangement. PS we live in FL. so packing is not a problem.

Not many people wear tuxes anymore. That said, he would feel a bit out of place without at least a sports coat, as a far majority of men will at least wear a nice business suit on formal nights. All other nights, he'll feel at home with a collared or button down.

In regards to the suit, do what I did. Get a protective bag from Macy's at the mall (they have many of them and will just give you one if you need it). Put the suit/pants in it and pack it in your large suitcase first. Doesn't take up much room, and isn't very heavy. Make sure whatever shoes you pack for formal night he can wear all the other nights as well (I used a simple pair of dressy black shoes). There's more than enough storage space in the cabin to hang everything when you get there.

Formal nights are not what they used to be. I see a few tuxes, some suits and sportscoats, some slacks and a collared shirt. I usually take a sports coat to wear, but don't feel it is necessary anymore. Just the fact that you are asking tells me you will dress appropriately!

Renting a tux takes up the least amount of luggage space.

Now that I think about it, I may do that on a couple of future trips.... (again)

We very much understand, we travel with carry-on only luggage (so we also carry on the ship).

the other trick is to actually schedule clothing, so that you don't end up with clothes you never wear. That helps a ton.

Renting a tux takes up the least amount of luggage space...

There you go, absolutely. Comes with 2 shirts for the week and it's hanging in your cabin when you arrive. :) I love a man in a tux but as stated, you don't see a lot of them anymore.

OP, what you have described will work. Many men start off the evening with a jacket on but remove it and hang it on the chair when they sit down anyway. Your husband will be fine in pants, shirt, and tie.

Enjoy yourselves. :)