I survived on my moped for 7 days

JD75

I just returned from a week long vacation to Bermuda. Although I didn't take a cruise ship, I very much enjoy this message board. I have some tips for people if they want to rent a moped. I rented a moped for a full week and I probably drove at least 200 miles covering the island many times over.

If anyone plans on renting a moped while in Bermuda these few tips may prove to be helpful:

* Bring bungee cords to hold down your gear (bags, cooler, etc)

* Bring a raincoat or poncho - chances are you'll encounter some rain

* Bring trash bags to cover your cargo in the basket in case of rain

* Keep checking your mirrors, if you see a local coming up behind you on their moped, get to the left an let them pass

* Don't be too alarmed by the way the locals drive their mopeds, they know the roads very well (do not try and keep up with them either :eek: )

* Keep a map with you

* If you have a car or a procession of cars behind you that want to go faster than you don't go faster than you feel comfortable - find a safe place to pull over and let them pass - this may happen often in the rain

* Bring a bicycle lock to lock your helmets to the basket in the back - it sure beats carrying them around everytime you leave your moped - you can string the lock throught the straps of the helmets and the metal basket

* Keep your eyes on the road - the roads are in great condition but you may find an occasional sand pile - especially after heavy rain and wind

* Watch the oncoming traffic - very often a local on a moped will pass an oncoming car as you approach head on - move to the left of your lane to let them pass the car on their side

* In the middle of the road is a single painted line - Yellow line means no passing and a white line means you can pass - you'll find the locals don't care what color the line is :) - be aware of this

* Try to avoid driving with sandals on

* For the guys keep your shirt on and for the girls cover those bikini tops

Having a moped enables you to go where you want when you want. They can be a lot of fun if you drive safely. The taxis are expensive and the buses limit your freedom. I felt bad for my fellow tourists that I saw standing at the bus stops in the blazing sun waiting for their bus while I cruised by on my moped. If you drive a motorcycle at home you have no excuse not to rent a moped, you'll find it's not that difficult to get used to driving on the left.

Also, if you rent a moped take a ride on Paynters Road. When you drive through the Tuckers Point Golf Course, the scenery is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Bulldog,

I'm sure the scooter rental shops at King's Wharf will be open early in the morning for the cruise ships. I rented mine in St. George from Oleander (which Vickie left a link for). We rented around noon so I'm not sure how early they open. The web site should have that info. Here's another link to Wheel's which is the other major rental company on the island:

http://www.bermuda.com/wheels/

I believe the daily rate is $50 or $55. I rented mine for the week for around $280 with insurance. Whether you rent by the day or weekly, the cost is worth it. Taxi's are very expensive and waiting for the bus can eat up valuable time. A must see is Paynter's Road through the Golf courses. If you plan on visiting the Crystal Caves or The Swizzle Inn from King's Wharf, you can get there via Paynter's Road.

Archived