Train from london Gatwick to Southampton

SSCAF001

It sounds as though you have already purchased your tickets and are ready for a rail adventure, so now it's just a case of planning ahead and damage control. (I hope, by the way, that you'll come back to this thread and tell us how you've managed.)

The good thing is that you are not in a hurry, as you are arriving a day early. Take your time and don't rush for a train. With all that luggage, it will be better to wait for the next train than to rush for one that is leaving with only a minute or two to spare.

Next, take advantage of the fact that there are two of you. You will certainly want a luggage trolley. Leave one person with all of the luggage while the second person goes off scouting around the station to find a trolley or a porter.

Ask for directions. You don't want to carry all that luggage only to find that you are at the wrong platform at Southampton. I never feel that the platforms on the lift bridge are adequately signposted.

Take turns to be near the luggage, watching it, even if it means standing.

I generally manage travelling from a small Oxfordshire station to Southampton (changing at Reading) with two suitcases and a backpack and have no problems. I would recommend if possible that you each have a backpack as one of your pieces of luggage, as it makes life easier. You then only have to worry about the seventh piece of luggage, which perhaps can be strapped to one of the suitcases? In fact, I walk to my local station (about 7 minutes from home) with the backpack on and dragging a suitcase from each hand. Simples.

When I read your message I thought you were talking about a trip in ...an emerging country!!!

So you convinced me : I will take the train! I promise I will let you know how it went. Best regards.

SSCAF001

Your Train should arrive on Platform 2 at Southampton Central, Which are the Island Platforms, comprising of Platforms 2 ,2a 3 and 3a. If you head for the lifts and take the walkway, you will need to use two lifts and follow directions to platform 4 exit the station via Platform 4. This will will bring you out onto The Station forecourt on the correct side were you will see a Taxi rank.