Oslo Bergen Train questions

RMLincoln

We are planning on taking the train into Bergen. And getting down to the nitty-gritty :) Your experienced thoughts all help! Thank you, m--

1. Different types of seats on the train are available, Standard and Komfort. Would the Komfort seat give us better viewing or picture taking? Or it may be worth it just for the "free" coffee! If Komfort seating is reserved seating, what woul dbe the better seats?
  2. Luggage on board seems ok, is there a rack in the back or overhead? Or do we check our bags? (we'll have one bag each)
  3. Train leaves Oslo 8am, how early should be be there, 30 minutes? more?
  4. Food onboard the train looks like a good variety and we will need lunch along the way... and it seems like it's ok to pay by credit card, so unless there are comments against, that is our plan.
  5. When we get off the train in Bergen at ~3pm we will have to make our way to the ship pier. It looks like about a mile. Are the streets walkable with a small piece of wheeled luggage? Ship leaves at 8pm so we should have plenty of time to take it slowly.
  6. Or if the weather is poor could we catch a taxi to the ship pier? How do we pay for a taxi? Credit card or cash in NOK?
  7. I see there is a transfer for $15pp available... I guess a bus. At airports we have sometimes been given the option to purchase a bus transfer to the ship "on the spot", so wondering if this option might be available.

I have taken the train twice from Oslo to Bergen before a trip with Hurtigruten, here are some thoughts on your question:

1. We usually travelled in Komfort seat. If you get Minipris ticket, it's not that much more expensive. It gives more room for the legs (our main interest given that my companion is quite tall), power outlet if needed, free coffee/tea (not very good, but still welcome). I don't think it would give you better viewing but a more comfortable trip altogether. Once on the train from Trondheim to Oslo (similar trains) we couldn't get Komfort seat and the regular seats were quite allright. Komfort seating is indeed reserved seating, for the view I find it is best to get seats on the left hand side of the train (on the left if you look towards Bergen - easy to figure out on the website). We had once the surprise of being on the other side than we thought (on a Trondheim-Oslo train as well), but the landscape is also nice on the right side if that happens.

2. No problem for luggage on board, there is enough room for them (racks in the entrance and overhead and in Komfort seat if you are not tall you can even stack the suitcase in front of you).

3. 30 minutes in advance is plenty enough, less (15min) would be OK, make sure you have enough time to find the right track, if you need to walk through the whole station to go to the track it can take a bit of time.

4. Food is OK but (of course) expensive, but a good solution if you don't have anything else. We get a good breakfast at the hotel and then on board the evening dinner buffet is plentiful so we survived the train ride on biscuits and coffee! :)

5. It's fairly easy to walk to the pier with one piece of luggage, it takes about 10-15 minutes at the most. We've done that on both occasions so don't know about other options. You mention a transfer, you mean Hurtigruten transfer? I'm not sure it will be there if there are no passengers that have booked it in advance (I have not seen it).

I have taken the train twice from Oslo to Bergen before a trip with Hurtigruten, here are some thoughts on your question:

1. We usually travelled in Komfort seat. If you get Minipris ticket, it's not that much more expensive. It gives more room for the legs (our main interest given that my companion is quite tall), power outlet if needed, free coffee/tea (not very good, but still welcome). I don't think it would give you better viewing but a more comfortable trip altogether. Once on the train from Trondheim to Oslo (similar trains) we couldn't get Komfort seat and the regular seats were quite allright. Komfort seating is indeed reserved seating, for the view I find it is best to get seats on the left hand side of the train (on the left if you look towards Bergen - easy to figure out on the website). We had once the surprise of being on the other side than we thought (on a Trondheim-Oslo train as well), but the landscape is also nice on the right side if that happens.

2. No problem for luggage on board, there is enough room for them (racks in the entrance and overhead and in Komfort seat if you are not tall you can even stack the suitcase in front of you).

3. 30 minutes in advance is plenty enough, less (15min) would be OK, make sure you have enough time to find the right track, if you need to walk through the whole station to go to the track it can take a bit of time.

4. Food is OK but (of course) expensive, but a good solution if you don't have anything else. We get a good breakfast at the hotel and then on board the evening dinner buffet is plentiful so we survived the train ride on biscuits and coffee! :)

5. It's fairly easy to walk to the pier with one piece of luggage, it takes about 10-15 minutes at the most. We've done that on both occasions so don't know about other options. You mention a transfer, you mean Hurtigruten transfer? I'm not sure it will be there if there are no passengers that have booked it in advance (I have not seen it).

Oh Sarnia, you are a wealth of help! Thank you again and again! If we get off the train in Bergen and it is raining we might look for a taxi, otherwise we will plan to walk fine. Everything seems to be happening fast for planning for this complex trip but happening well. I try to "see" in my mind each stage and your experience helps so much. So good of you to share. Merci beaucoup et tres bien mon ami :) m--