How do I get double canes, onto plane and ship?

sprinkles

Hi all, I posted an earlier question today, now this thought is keeping me awake. I'm a hearty cruiser and keep on trukin with M.S. - even though cruising usually completely messes up my balance or worse. I've played around in recent years with bringing a rollator, which helps when my balance gets really stupid, but is a pain to get in and out of the cabin, not to mention storing in the cabin. Plus it is always awesome for me, when I'm having problems standing. I always bring a folding cane, but found on my last cruise, that it was not always enough and my wrists would hurt from leaning on it too much.

So the last cruise, I decided to get the sturdy double canes (with arm supports). They have been awesome at home for those "really bad times".

Now, I'm laying awake trying to figure out how to get them on the planes and ship for my longest cruise to date (49 days - and the chances of needing them at some point are probably pretty high). I am not bringing my rolator on this cruise, but when I flew with it before, they always took it from me when I got on the plane - no big deal.

But how in the world am I going to get the heavy/bulky double canes onto the plane. Strap them to my small rolling carry-on somehow? Will they take them from me at the plane? I can't imagine trying to store them in an overhead bin.

Take a second suitcase and check them? Too heavy to try and put in my normal one suitcase? If I checked them in a suitcase, would TSA flip-out.

I'm not ready for a wheelchair yet and most of the time do just fine without anything (other then standing for long periods of time). I thought I was being slick getting these new canes, but just now realized - how do I get them to the ship - lol.

Can those be rented from the companies that rent wheelchairs for the ships? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tammy

Tammy , I spent 4 years on Canadian Crutches ( the one's you asked about ) I flew with them , I cruised with them , although I used mine 24/7 it was NEVER an issue , they checked them thru as baggage ( no extra charge ) they checked them at the front of the plane ( just like a stroller ) and they let me keep them at my seat ( window seat ) it was NEVER an issue . Now cruse ship was a different case , fellow cursers can be rude , pushy , My Husband ALWAYS had to walk behind me to keep them from running me over :(

Have fun , don't worry :D

Nothing to loose sleep over. DO NOT CHECK THEM IN LUGGAGE What would you do in the unlikely event the suitcase is lost ? Walk onto the plane with the forearm crutches and the flight attendants will stow them for you .

Edited by xxoocruiser

I have MS also. I use forearm crutches frequently, just board the plane with them. You can stow them in the overhead bins but be careful as they can get bent. When boarding the ship you will have to put them through the scanner/x-ray machine. I absolutely love my forearm crutches, they help with mobility (I hike a lot) and are great for defensive tactics.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't speak for the airplane because I cannot fly, but as far as getting on the ship, I take my rollator and my forearm crutches. I use a bungie cord to hold the crutches onto each side of the rollator. Then I can use either the rollator or the crutches whenever I need them on the ship.

Crutches go on the plane with me and the crew store them in the wardrobe.

A spare pair of adjustable crutches are broken down and cable tied to the wheelchair which is surrendered at the air bridge and collected same place, other end.

On a ship, I always take a spare pair, which are heavily cable tied together and checked in with the bags. They are always the last thing to arrive in the cabin and we usually have to send someone off to find them.