Land tour followed by cruise from uk.

Thought that I would post a short review of our recent trip to Alaska from the UK as prior to going I had spent hours and hours reading hints and tips but had not seen very much about the land tour part of our trip.

We are two couples 50's-60's, very seasoned travelers whose favorite is definitely cruising. This was to be a special one as was on all of our 'bucket lists'. Coming all the way from UK we included the land tour first and we are so glad that we did. It was awesome, but the main point that I want to make is about the organization of it all. It was faultless and oh so easy. Everything was made so easy. I had been a little worried about living out of a suitcase (especially as we didn't really know what weather to expect) but I needn't have worried. Suitcases were placed outside the door each morning and the next time we saw them was actually inside our next hotel/lodge. We took the wildneress express train between each stop, another awesome experience, we were then met each time at the station by our tour director Cal and driver Brandy who were both incredibly attentive and helpful. Room keys were handed out in envelopes as we left the bus saving all the hassell of queuing at receptions to check in.

I would recommend this holiday to anyone without hesitation. I am glad that we did the land tour first followed by the cruise - on the Millennium, as the second week was definatly more leisurely than the first but equally enjoyable.

The sights that we saw and the experiences we encountered will remain with us for ever.

The weather was very similar to here in the UK for anyone anticipating a trip. we only had one day of rain and lots of sunshine, although it was cold in the Wilderness and by the glaciers.

Happy to answer any questions if necessary as I know how much planning goes into these trips. (Have also posted this on Alaska site for ease)

That's wonderful to hear!! We are also doing a land tour prior to our cruise next week. I have heard that the land tour portion could be very busy, so we definitely wanted to do that first, then cruise southbound to Vancouver. As you were two couples, were the hotel assignments close together? Not sure if you had your reservations linked online. We are traveling with the kids (booked in a connecting stateroom, so they would get their own hotel room as well) and my inlaws. Also, was wondering what time you arrived at the port from the landtour. Ours ends in Seward, so hopefully we can board early afternoon. Last question, which I haven't been able to find is the time of the safety drill on board.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are so lucky to be doing the trip its amazing and I know you will love it. Yes our bookings were linked and yes the rooms were always close by each other at the hotels.

We had a tour included in anchorage on boarding day and went to the heritage centre then lunch on our own before travelling by bus to Seward. it was about 5pm before we boarded, much later than we would have been there had we been travelling independently! but all went smoothly and our luggage was already in our cabins!

muster drill was at 7:30pm and we sailed promptly at 8.

enjoy your trip and do ask if I can help any more (have also posted on the Alaska portion of CC with more detail of the land triip.)

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking time to write. We are doing the 5B land tour which ends in the morning in Seward at the sealife centre, so hopefully we can board a little earlier.

Thanks again, we are definitely looking forward to this vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thought that I would post a short review of our recent trip to Alaska from the UK as prior to going I had spent hours and hours reading hints and tips but had not seen very much about the land tour part of our trip.

The sights that we saw and the experiences we encountered will remain with us for ever.

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful information! Loved the fact that you seemed to have enjoyed this land tour and cruise so much - it is surely in our future somewhere!