Is there a Technical Board?

KruznKel

I know there is a help board and test board am unable to find the technical board... would like to post a question as to why the boards have been so messed up lately.. although I know this is a free forum I think an explanation would be nice although not necessary again since it is free... but out of common curtousy I would think they could respond..:) Or can you forward me an appropriate link to post my question.. Thanks...

I know there is a help board and test board am unable to find the technical board... would like to post a question as to why the boards have been so messed up lately.. although I know this is a free forum I think an explanation would be nice although not necessary again since it is free... but out of common curtousy I would think they could respond..:) Or can you forward me an appropriate link to post my question.. Thanks...

Several months ago they posted that during peak hours we could expect service disruptions. You can always email a host or LauraS if you have concerns about the board.

This is a post I found on the Celebrity board

Originally Posted by LauraS

Hi Folks:

To be honest, we didn't realize the problem was this widespread, so I really do thank you for posting and letting us know.

Whenever the boards go "down", even for a split second, we receive a notification immediately.....but we aren't notified if things bog down.

I will pass this along to our webmaster who is in the process of installing a fourth server to assist with our board traffic! We've grown by leaps and bounds and, as some of you have realized, traffic during peak times of day make access slow. Seems, too, our "peak time of day" is no longer the middle of the afternoon but from 10 am ET through 9pm ET.

So, bottom line is -- we're working on it, but please keep letting us know.

Laura

Several months ago they posted that during peak hours we could expect service disruptions. You can always email a host or LauraS if you have concerns about the board.

This is a post I found on the Celebrity board

Thanks..

Everyone is having problems -- not you or your computer!

We can get to the "Home" Cruise Critic Board sometimes :rolleyes: but then can not get to the Cruise Ship boards ... and often have problems posting when we do.

It's good to let Laura S. know that it is SO MANY of us on all of these CC boards having this problem! This is not a "whine" ....

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :p

Yes I noticed they were slow yesterday and today.........but let's not forget nearly 150,000 members and we haven't had a problem in a LONG time......I know, I know....we're all human and in our fast pace world we want the web to work FAST and NOW...lol....I just used the time to get a lot of "stuff" done!;)

I tried several times to get onto the boards today but it didn't work. I am finding that the only time I can get on the boards is late at night. Perhaps deleting some of the really old posts would help free up some space?;)

I tried several times to get onto the boards today but it didn't work. I am finding that the only time I can get on the boards is late at night. Perhaps deleting some of the really old posts would help free up some space?;)

Don't delete the old posts! :eek: I agree that the server may need to be freed up, but maybe archive them instead? ;)

http://www.bangaloreit.com/

Yes I noticed they were slow yesterday and today.........but let's not forget nearly 150,000 members and we haven't had a problem in a LONG time......I know, I know....we're all human and in our fast pace world we want the web to work FAST and NOW...lol....I just used the time to get a lot of "stuff" done!;)

LOL

How much more can I get done while on these boards... ?

I do laundry, make dinner, activities with DD, Run a business from the same computer as I use for CC, and still manage to not get away from my PC...

DH bought me a laptop yesterday... LOL Hoping I could get more done during the day..

LOL

There are many programs which are running in the background that will suck up your bandwidth and slowdown your internet. One for example is with Mcafee Spamkiller, this is connected to a Server with Mcafee, the file is MSKSrvr.exe. This file once removed will increase your internet speed. Its a known fact on some of the Windows Xp tech fourms. Also there are Popup blockers that are also connected to some type of server that will degrade your bandwidth.

Lastly, check your signal at your modem, if using a Phone line, the proper phone line voltage, in most cases its too low.

On a Cable Modem, reduce the number of splitters to that room or where the modem is located. You should have a 4 Way low loss splitter that has its connections to each room or to each T.V./Cable modem. Crappy Splitters are -9 db signal loss, so as you see 2 Splitters in the line already equals to -18db single loss and thats alot and you will see your internet slow down. Check with your cable provider, they usually use the best splitters.

Check your cable runs too, ensure you do not have any extra splitters up in the attic or crawl space below.

I so thank you for posting this. You are not alone. Yesterday and today (more so yesterday), you can get to cruise critics, read reviews and all other links, BUT

the BOARDS, forget about it!

I've been tweaking things, removing pop up blockers, etc. things got a little better but things are still a bit slow.

I guess I'll stop tweaking now knowing that others are having the same issue.

I was wondering the same thing about a link to a place we can find out about technical issues on the server(s).:eek:

Earlier tonight, someone pointed out to me that Laura has posted a sticky at the top of the page: Message Board Access Issues.

I tried to get in last night and couldn't so finally just gave up and went elsewhere.

Archived