Hearing Impaired Room

mitsugirly

Does anyone know about the hearing impaired rooms? What are different about them?

If you get one of these rooms, is it considered hearing impaired because it may be in a "loud" location, which would be the best for someone that might be hearing impaired and won't hear it? Or is it because it's equipped with special hearing impaired equipment?

We have booked a room (8313), which doesn't show hearing impaired and are also booking a few more rooms along beside that room and I had just noticed that 8312-8308 all have the round circle indicating it's hearing impaired and it got me wondering.

hearingimpaired_zps3a30ca31.jpg

Also, does anyone know what the blank white section is between these rooms? Is this housekeeping? Storage? Employee elevators? Do you think there will be a lot of noise in this area?

Thanks in advance for any info you could provide. :)

Ceiling lights in the room will flash whenever someone calls you on the phone. Also, there is a push button on the outside next to the door, much like a doorbell which will cause the lights to flash when pressed. Very useful for people like me who might not be able to hear the steward knock before coming in.

I have profound hearing loss (since I was 2)...While I have never sailed in these type of rooms, I did look into it when we started cruising.

My aunt-in-law on the Breakaway had one of these rooms (she is also hearing impaired since birth) and loved it. I am just too leery of the drunk cruisers stumbling back to their cabins and pressing the buttons causing me to wake up in the middle of the night! :eek:

Does anyone know about the hearing impaired rooms? What are different about them?

If you get one of these rooms, is it considered hearing impaired because it may be in a "loud" location, which would be the best for someone that might be hearing impaired and won't hear it? Or is it because it's equipped with special hearing impaired equipment?

We have booked a room (8313), which doesn't show hearing impaired and are also booking a few more rooms along beside that room and I had just noticed that 8312-8308 all have the round circle indicating it's hearing impaired and it got me wondering.

hearingimpaired_zps3a30ca31.jpg

Also, does anyone know what the blank white section is between these rooms? Is this housekeeping? Storage? Employee elevators? Do you think there will be a lot of noise in this area?

Thanks in advance for any info you could provide. :)

We were in 8311 on the Sun and did not realize it was a hearing impaired room until we were well into the cruise. We just could not figure out why the lights kept flashing. :o

The room had a nice layout and was quite roomy for an inside. The layout was more of a square than a rectangle like the balconies are. The white space in the middle of the cabins is where the staff access the different decks. The only time it was a little noisy was the last night when they were taking out all the luggage. Other than that, we only heard a few bumps and bangs as they were moving their carts around. We did not find it disruptive at all.

The location was great. We loved the cabin.

Depending upon which ship you are booking, these rooms may also have a vibrating plate in the floor, as an additional alert feature. I can only speak to the Getaway on this particular aspect, but whenever the phone rings, the doorbell is pressed, or the ship's alarm system is activated, the strobe lights will flash and also the vibrating plate will activate.

I have no idea if this feature is on other ships, so perhaps others with personal experience can advise.

:)

Depending upon which ship you are booking, these rooms may also have a vibrating plate in the floor, as an additional alert feature. I can only speak to the Getaway on this particular aspect, but whenever the phone rings, the doorbell is pressed, or the ship's alarm system is activated, the strobe lights will flash and also the vibrating plate will activate.

I have no idea if this feature is on other ships, so perhaps others with personal experience can advise.

:)

When we were on the Sun in 2002, the floor did not vibrate. That would have really freaked us out until we found out it was a hearing impaired room, then we would have thought it was a great idea. Not sure if it has been updated since then.

Thanks for all the answers. Now I have a good idea of it. The rep at NCL booked us 3 rooms and 1 of them is one of the impaired rooms. I wonder if they will end up moving them in case they need someone that needs that room (now that I know what it is). Of course they would gladly give up the room to those in need.

As for the white space, the NCL rep didn't know what it was either. She said maybe storage for housekeeping, but was unsure.

It's definitely not leading to the steps. The steps are on the other side, which is across from the elevators (which are the little squares). So maybe just some storage. With my luck, it will be the housekeeping storage and they will be banging stuff every morning and evening. :p

It's funny, I have the exact same room and number booked on both my cruises (Sun & Sky). 8313. LOL