Crowds at Dunn River Falls

kennyo1

I have heard that Dunns River Falls get really crowded when multiple ships are docked. I will be on the Dream in Jamaica on August 6. Does anyone know how many ships will be docked on 8/6?

According to CruiseTT there will be 3 ship in that day. All on the larger size.

Falmouth - RCCL Freedom of the Seas and DCL Fantasy

MoBay - Carnival Dream

Yes, Dunn's River will be busy, but if you can go on a private excursion and hit it either before the cruise crowds get there or after, then you might be OK.

According to CruiseTT there will be 3 ship in that day. All on the larger size.

Falmouth - RCCL Freedom of the Seas and DCL Fantasy

MoBay - Carnival Dream

Yes, Dunn's River will be busy, but if you can go on a private excursion and hit it either before the cruise crowds get there or after, then you might be OK.

I have heard that the trip to and from is 60-90 minutes. Considering that the entire excursion could take up to 7 hours with travel, I am concerned that we may not get back to the ship and it will leave. Have you ever done this excursion without booking through the cruise line?

yes but

there is no ship in Ocho ... and the main crowd tends to come from a ship in Ocho since it is about 10 minutes from DRF

that being said tho, and I've been to DRF MANY times since the mid-80's ... I'd never ride and hour or more to get to DRF .... when I visit Ocho, DRF is fun but a long ride would kill that fun for me ... not worth it.

We don't need no stinkin' guides ... we go up the middle

drf4.jpg

drf8.jpg

I have heard that the trip to and from is 60-90 minutes. Considering that the entire excursion could take up to 7 hours with travel, I am concerned that we may not get back to the ship and it will leave. Have you ever done this excursion without booking through the cruise line?

Yes, but only on a land stay. You're in MoBay, right? Yes, it will be closer to 90 minutes and I would take a ship's excursion from MoBay due to the timing. Better on a private, but not sure I would take the chance. If it's something that you really want to do (it's pretty darn cool) I would just deal with the cruise crowds and do a ship's excursion.

From Ocho Rios I would definitley go private, or just by ourselves via taxi, Falmouth I would probably do a private tour, but coming from MoBay, it's a bit farther.

Yes, but only on a land stay. You're in MoBay, right? Yes, it will be closer to 90 minutes and I would take a ship's excursion from MoBay due to the timing. Better on a private, but not sure I would take the chance. If it's something that you really want to do (it's pretty darn cool) I would just deal with the cruise crowds and do a ship's excursion.

From Ocho Rios I would definitley go private, or just by ourselves via taxi, Falmouth I would probably do a private tour, but coming from MoBay, it's a bit farther.

The last thing I want is to get stuck in Jamaica!!!

Are there any other excursions that you would recommend. We are all an active family but no one likes to snorkel. We find it boring.

There's Zip-lining near MoBay. What do you think about River Boarding? (you boogie board down a river). It's supposed to be super fun. I haven't done it myself yet, but plan on doing it in the near future.

Check out excursionsinjamaica dot com or do a search for River Boarding in Montego Bay. It appears its only about 35 minutes away, so that's a nice drive.

You can alos ATV, Horseback ride. Rafting on the Matha Brae is a low key, but really fun experience. You ride two people to a long bamboo raft and have a guide "pole" you down the river.

• 2 weeks later...
yes but

there is no ship in Ocho ... and the main crowd tends to come from a ship in Ocho since it is about 10 minutes from DRF

that being said tho, and I've been to DRF MANY times since the mid-80's ... I'd never ride and hour or more to get to DRF .... when I visit Ocho, DRF is fun but a long ride would kill that fun for me ... not worth it.

We don't need no stinkin' guides ... we go up the middle

drf4.jpg

drf8.jpg

I agree no guides are needed. Just follow the crowds or do what you did.

I suspect Dunns River Falls will always be crowded. When I was there back in 1997 I tuned out the crowds and parked my self under the waterfall on "ground level". I LOVED IT. I disregarded anything else that was going on around me.