Cove Balcony vs. Regular Balcony

Singer4Him

We've had a regular balcony for the past two cruises and we're hooked! Recently I've heard people talking about the cove balconies and I've considered going this route next year on the Breeze but it looks like the balcony isn't quite as open as the regular ones. For those who have had both, what are the pros and cons of a cove balcony?

I have had both balconies and LOVE the Cove. The Cove is more enclosed, and if you want to sit out for sun, it's probably not for you. But, I love being close to the water, and the quiet of the lower balcony. Any ship I sail, from now on, that offers the Cove, I will be there instead of higher on the ship. It's just my personal preference. Regardless of what your choose, I hope you have a fabulous cruise.:D

Is there a divider that you can open if you've got friends or family in the stateroom next to you to make the balcony bigger? I know that you can on some of the balconies but not sure about the cove.

Edited by Singer4Him

I've only had a cove, but I can tell you that they are amazing! They are so private, and so close to the water, it's fantastic. We saw so many flying fish and dolphins, and you seriously just cannot beat that view of the water. It felt like our own little world out there. We have another cove booked on the Dream in April, and I'm so sad that only 3 ships offer them!

Edited by zumbagirl78

We've had a regular balcony for the past two cruises and we're hooked! Recently I've heard people talking about the cove balconies and I've considered going this route next year on the Breeze but it looks like the balcony isn't quite as open as the regular ones. For those who have had both, what are the pros and cons of a cove balcony?

I have had 2 coves so far--love them--I like the shade it offers as I am a redhead and cant take the sun. I like being so close to the water--they are also a bit deeper since the rails are on an angle. I know they can be closed and locked by staff if the water is too rough. I have not had that happen to me yet. They can have a wet floor often as the waves splashes seem to keep the floor wet. That part does not bother me, some say the chairs get wet--mine have not been, but I would just wipe them off if they did.

I think it offers alot of privacy over the regular balconies also.

So depends on if you like sun or shade and if you are ok with it being locked shut if the water is too rough.

We just today booked a cove balcony on the Breeze (2306) for our next cruise. It will be out first balcony.

From my research the key is to get a cove balcony not under the galley. Under the MDR or the Atrium lobby area is usually the prefered locations.

I had quite a choice of quads and chose 2306 which is below the MDR and very midships.

We are not sun worshipers as we live in FL and see no need to worship such a hot roaster as the sun. Real Floridians ;) tend to worship air conditioning. :cool:

Thanks, everybody! I guess my biggest concern is that I won't be able to sit in my chair and see out. At 5'2" I'm thinking I may have to stand to see. Anyone else have any issues such as this? Also, can they be opened up between your neighbor like the regular balconies?

I have had both balconies and LOVE the Cove. The Cove is more enclosed, and if you want to sit out for sun, it's probably not for you. But, I love being close to the water, and the quiet of the lower balcony. Any ship I sail, from now on, that offers the Cove, I will be there instead of higher on the ship. It's just my personal preference. Regardless of what your choose, I hope you have a fabulous cruise.:D

Ditto:D

Thanks, everybody! I guess my biggest concern is that I won't be able to sit in my chair and see out. At 5'2" I'm thinking I may have to stand to see. Anyone else have any issues such as this? Also, can they be opened up between your neighbor like the regular balconies?

I'm 5'2" and I had no trouble looking out on our Cove while sitting down. As for opening between cabins, I can't answer that.