Newbie question about water

First time cruising later this summer, booked on an RCI ship.

We did not get a drink package to keep costs down. Should we take travel mugs to keep water in our cabin? What about when we're at the pool? Is water provided in a carry-out glass with a lid and straw? Because I'm thinking at the pool I might get thirsty.

We did not get a drink package to keep costs down. Should we take travel mugs to keep water in our cabin? What about when we're at the pool? Is water provided in a carry-out glass with a lid and straw? Because I'm thinking at the pool I might get thirsty.

You can certainly get plastic glasses from Windjammer or the pool bars, but I've not seen any lids and straws commonly available. If you don't want to bring travel cups, you might be able to get one of the plastic souvenir cups (with lid and plastic straw) at one of the shops on board.

Edited by clarea

Bars are just about everywhere. Just walk up and ask for water, be specific, the FREE water.

Your cabin will also have running water, again, FREE.

I take a collapsible cooler with me, and I ask our room steward to keep it filled with ice.

You CAN buy travel cups/mugs in the shops on board, but I just take my own. :) Or win one at trivia. :D

Edited by Merion_Mom

Okay, it really doesn't matter if there's a lid and straw. I guess I wondered if they gave out paper cups that you throw away. Just as long as water is available. Would we be permitted to take a glass of water out of the Windjammer Cafe and carry it with us?

Okay, it really doesn't matter if there's a lid and straw. I guess I wondered if they gave out paper cups that you throw away. Just as long as water is available. Would we be permitted to take a glass of water out of the Windjammer Cafe and carry it with us?

The cups aren't that big to make that worth it IMO. They probably hold 8-12oz drink.

Besides original food containers like milk cartons or napkins I can't remember any paper stuff on any RCI cruise. You can take any food or drink item from the WJ and carry it with you just about anywhere. They don't make it easy on you, if you want a tray you must ask.