crystal questions for Radisson

Some close friends want us to go on a Crystal cruise with them. Our two most recent cruises have been on Radisson. We also have cruised Windstar and before that Celebrity. We are in our late 40's and mid 50's. We love Radisson.

Of course I am aware of the size difference and the traditional dinner seatings. But, the price of this cruise is great!

If you have been on both lines, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jim

Our first cruise was Crystal, then 2 Radisson and 1 Seabourn. There are things that Crystal does that I like better than Radisson and vice-a-versa. With Crystal the tipping and alcohol are separate. We wound up signing an awful lot of tickets so we really appreciate Radisson's liquor in the room and wine at dinner. Crystal was a little more formal, but I did not find them stuffy. We had an awsome dinner table (assigned seating). We were all well under 50 so I guess they spent a little time matching people up. I suspect if you get duds its not near as fun. Nobody does afternoon tea as well as Crystal. I would do Crystal again if they had a more desirable itinerary than Radisson, but I have to admit I feel more comfortable on Radisson.

Here are some of my observations after five Crystal Cruises and one Raddison cruise:

Entertainment: Raddison's production shows were surprisingly good. Almost as good as Crystal. Crystal has superior lounge entertainment, especially for dancing. Crystal also offers a strolling trio at dinner and live music everywhere at night including a six piece band for dancing.

Food: Alternative restaurants are good on both. I might give the slight edge to Raddison because Signitures was so outstanding. Main dining room fare is better on Crystal. Raddison's menu was fairly unimaginative, and the food was just okay. Raddison's service at dinner is less formal -- sometimes they just give you a salad with the dressing already on it. Crystal's waiters are superb. If you don't like anything on the menu, you can request something else and they will try to provide it for you.

Accomodations: Raddison is just beyond the realm as far as the standard cabin. You'd have to substantially upgrade your stateroom on Crystal to bring it up to Raddison.

Service: Crystal is clearly better. By the second day, the barmen know your name and what you drink. No reasonable request is refused on Crystal whereas I saw some hiding behind the rules on Raddison. For instance, my wife wanted a Coke from the bar at Name That Tune. Sorry, said the bartender, I don't open for ten more minutes. That would NEVER happen on Crystal.

Price: Assuming you took a lower catagory, Raddison is more expensive, but probably a better value. Especially if you like wine at dinner. That was fantastic.

Have I missed anything?

Crystal is a fine cruise line - I didn't think any line could be better until our last cruise on Radisson. Without a doubt, our finest.

They did one special favor for us (we both have disabilities) no other cruise line has ever done-in fact, we've been refused. We are booked with a group on Holland America and paying more for a suite that we did on Radisson

for a week of pampering with no extras. Radisson is by far the best value for your money.

Archived