grand caymen scuba question

bojo

we will be in grand caymen on the Z'dam next week. We are recently certified divers. The scuba trip the ship offers is a two tank dive that seems pricey to me. Does any one have any experience getting a dive tour on their own at the pier? recomendations etc. Thanks for any info.

We will also be in Grand Caymen next week on the Carnival Victory. My husband and son (who are both certified divers) plan to walk to either Abanks or Eden Rock Dive Centers and just do a shore dive. Their cost will just be for some rental equipment. Last summer we were in Grand Cayman and went to Abanks. I'm not certified, so I paid to do a "resort course" from the shore and DH went along also. I don't have much to compare it to, but I thought the dive was great. There were several "swim throughs" and we saw lots of "big fish"...including a nurse shark and an eel!

I'm sure boat dives would be much better, but the shore dive was not too bad (and definitely a lot cheaper!) This year the rest of our group plans to do a Stingray tour in the morning and then meet up with DH & DS in the afternoon to do some snorkeling off shore.

To reach the dive shops, turn right as you exit the tender dock area. It is about a 3 minute walk.

we will be in grand caymen on the Z'dam next week. We are recently certified divers. The scuba trip the ship offers is a two tank dive that seems pricey to me. Does any one have any experience getting a dive tour on their own at the pier? recomendations etc. Thanks for any info.

Eden Rock is a great dive...but when the cruise ships are in it is the closest shore dive to the tenders. Which means....crowds

I prefer to walk down the road a bit....

http://sunsethouse.com/resort.php

p.s. ... a great beach bar for lunch and a libation after a nice beach dive.

I totally agree with thecleave about neptune's. I also agree with Capt BJ about sunset house's shore dive being less crowded. I would also bet that the site is in a bit better condition than eden rock. Another good choice for a shore dive is the turtle farm site by the http://www.divetech.com shop. You will have to take a taxi there, but it will be way less crowded.

Archived